Rate the Last Movie You've Seen

Farin

Red 2 9/10

I believe I like this sequel even more than the first movie and that is saying something. This movie is more lighthearted than the first and although the plot, at times, is completely implausible, the tremendous chemistry between the lead actors and their amazing acting chops more than compensates for the writing flaws. John Malkovich is brilliant again as the capable, stalwart, raging paranoic Marvin. Helen Mirren is, as always, brilliant. Catherine Zeta Jones is beautiful, sexy and loves to chew up the cinematic scenery. Brian Cox may only have a small part, but he is excellent and very funny. As for Anthony Hopkins, I almost believe he could recite the alphabet and make it absolutely riveting.

I highly recommend this movie.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're the Millers

8.75/10

Just got home recently and was probably one of the funniest movies I've seen in a while. It was actually pretty well done for a raunchy comedy and everything seemed to flow well. While a few scenes went on a bit too long (the fake-incest kissing scene most notably) and a few plot points were predictable, I would definitely recommend it if you're in to bawdy comedies.

I mean, it's a movie about smuggling drugs from Mexico, I wasn't expecting a life-changing experience, but I did get the laughs I was expecting.

• 2 weeks later...

Movie 43

This movie was so random I can't even rate it on a normal scale. It needs its own wacked out scale

I watched this one last night. It was vulgar and puerile but it did have a few amusing bits. The sequence with Hugh Jackman and Kate Winslett on a blind date was hilarious. The testicles growing beneath Jackman's chin were incredibly realistic and Kate Winslett's reactions (bemusement, shock and revulsion) were spot on. The sequence with Anna Faris was disgusting but strangely funny at the same time.

3/10

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

"Captain Phillips"

Like "Argo," I knew how this one would end, but it was still so incredibly well done that my heart raced, I cried, I white-knuckled the armrest for almost the entire last hour of the movie, and I even grew a heart for the bad guy (a small, mildly beating heart, but still there).

I'd followed this story when it was unfolding in realtime, but there was a lot I never knew until now. Exceptional, definite must-see. Hanks is superb, as is the Somali refugee who plays the lead pirate.

10/10 Hanks'll be up for an Oscar, no way around it.

• 3 weeks later...

"Last Vegas". Michael Douglas, Robert DeNiro, Morgan Freeman and Kevin Kline are old friends who go to Vegas to celebrate Michael Douglas' bachelor party. So many funny lines and funny situations....not going to even come close to an Oscar, but very entertaining and a great way to have a laugh! 8/10

R.I.P.D. 6/10 Pretty pedestrian fare. There were a few laughs (mostly generated by Jeff Bridges and Mary Louise Parker) but the plot, such as it was, was pretty anemic.

Kevin Bacon always seems to play scumbags these days. Mind you , he does it very well.

I don't know what possessed me to watch a movie co-written and directed by Seth Rogen, but I did. It was called THE END. He must have been baked when he conceived this GEM.

If you like drug references, a script where every second word is F**K, frequent references to male genitalia, anal sex and the almost constant use of the word Jizz (you can use your imaginations here), then this is the movie for you.

This is one of the most moronic, puerile pieces of crap ever written. I have no idea why James Franco, Emma Watson or Jay Baruchel would ever have agreed to appear in this travesty of a movie.

1/10

:laughing: :laughing:

My son was laughing hysterically one night so I poked my head in his room to see what was all the fun about, and it was "The End" that he was watching. Said I probably wouldn't like it, because it was mostly "guy" humor. But, man, he had a bellyache from all the laughing. :grin:

Puerile? probably. But he's 20. Whaddaya want. :crazy:

• 1 month later...

"Wolverine"- It starts out with a fair bit of promise, but the plot becomes more and more ridiculous as the movie progresses. Still, Hugh Jackman has the acting chops to carry the movie through some of its more ridiculous moments. As you would expect, very good visual effects and some very well choreographed fight scenes. 6.5/10

We saw "Captain Phillips" and "Gravity" both within 2 weeks of each other. As good as "Gravity" was, I thought "Captain Phillips" was more of a white-knuckler. Long, but I had no clue how much time had gone by until I left the theater. Remarkably well acted by Tom Hanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Since the trailer for American Hustle looked very enticing, Lucky and I decided to go check it out. I was blown away when the movie opened with Jeep's Blues . Duke Ellington wrote the piece for his saxophonist Johnny Hodges. I was hooked from there. The story just got better and better. Great performances. Great soundtrack.

9/10

:sing1: