Rate the Last Movie You've Seen

Farin

I saw "Lincoln" last night, and I'm so glad I did. Acting was stellar, DDL didn't just play Lincoln, he became him, down to the eyebrow twitches, probably. Superb.

This film showed a side of the man people never would have been aware of. And it's making me do a lot of thinking. So for that, I hate it, because I hate thinking. It gives me a headache. :crazy:

But... really well done. I can't find fault with any of the performances, first rate cast, although James Spader and Tommy Lee Jones stood out among the supporting players, probably because they were the comic relief.

9/10, only because Harkins Theatres seating was too uncomfortable, and for the first 45 minutes of the flick I was too wrapped up in how much my back was hurting to really love the show. Then I took a painkiller and the rest was good. :grin:

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched "The Social Network" on Monday. Who thought a movie about the creation of Facebook could be interesting. Granted, most of the people portrayed in the movie said it was fictionalized, but taken as a film and not a biography, it was very good. 8/10.

• 3 weeks later...

Today, I watched "The Departed". What a great batch of actors pulling off a tale of two cops in cahoots with a mobster for different reasons. 8.5/10.

And a mobster who was an FBI informant at that! Never did understand what that was about .... It was like the writer threw that bad guy mobster/FBI informant wrinkle in there just to complex everything a little more - as if this needed more complexity. Didn't buy that aspect of Nicholson's character nor like it, because it was too far out of head-scratching range. Until that "revelation," the movie was great!

Saw The Quartet over the weekend. Did not think I would appreciate it, but really did. Great acting, some very funny parts and I really got into the semi-classical music as it was used throughout the movie. 8/10

The Descendants, 8/10. George Clooney plays a workaholic lawyer who finds out that his wife is in a coma and has to raise his daughters who he's been distant to and learn to deal with not only her loss, but the fact that she was having an affair. Sad, touching and sometimes funny.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw this one yesterday (non-3D). It was great! Up till the last bit, when I thought it got a bit cheesy. Coulda done without that. But they wrapped it up at the end with humor, so that made it okay.

Altogether good effects, mostly good acting (except the cheesiness), Mr. Spock is perfectly underacting, and Bones is perfectly overacting, so I give them props.

• 3 weeks later...

"Man of Steel."

DON'T BOTHER. What a major yawn. The only ONLY good thing about this flick was that Superman is pretty hot. But he's got a perpetually knitted brow that makes him look confused throughout the movie, and no humor in the dialogue to really lighten the tone, as in the Christopher Reeve film, which was far superior.

This one has an hour-long fighting sequence at the end that is just noise without letup and two people who can't be killed trying to kill each other. *yawn*

0/10

"Man of Steel."

two people who can't be killed trying to kill each other. *yawn*

What is up with that?

Are we really that much smarter than the super-villans?

I'm old enough to have watched the George Reeves-as-Supie series in first run. Even as a 5-year old kid I used to think, why is the bad guy's first move upon confronting Superman always to pull out a revolver and shoot ricocheting bullets off his chest? It was as if, 'His flesh hasn't been pierced in the previous 15 episodes by all those other bad guys, but by golly, I've got a .38 caliber Smith and Wesson! He's going down!'

It was like there was a special effects gun ricochet contract that had to be fulfilled each week.

• 5 weeks later...

Saw the Lone Ranger today with the kidlets. The movie was about 30 minutes too long. Really, this is Johnny Depp's movie. The hero could have been played by anyone since he merely acts as the straight man to Depp's loopy comic antics. Helena Bonham Carter was mildly amusing in a very small part as a brothel owner with a prosthetic ivory leg. Apart from Depp, the best actor in the movie was the horse used as Silver.

While I really like Johnny Depp, his Jack Sparrow/Tonto/Barnabas Collins schtick is wearing a little thin. He needs to return to some meatier roles.

6/10

We saw "Heat" a couple of weekends ago. Wasn't sure I'd like it, as I'd read viewer reviews that said the amount of F-bombs in it detracted from the quality of the movie.

WRONG.

The F-bombs fit in so well with the character and the general attitude of the flick I hardly noticed them. I laughed almost all the way through this movie, and so did my BH. He liked it so much he wants to go see it again.

Great funny film, great comedic team, who should and probably will be pairing up for more movies in the future, and wonderful characters and situations. I could find nothing about this movie that I didn't like.

10/10