Rate the Last Movie You've Seen

Farin

I rented "Blue Valentine." It stars Michelle Williams and Ryan Gosling. About the breakdown of a marriage. Lived it. It was very powerful because that's something i related to so well.

Seems like I remember reading that it was mostly improvisational acting. And it works really well with these two actors. You can tell that almost none of it's scripted, and it comes across as really raw and sincere.

Not something I'd want to watch with the kid (way too strong and emotional) but a good watch for just me, even though I felt sort of beat up afterward. Great job by the actors.

8/10 (I took away 2 because of the scene in her place of work.. went on too long unnecessarily).

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I didn't think I would like The Avengers, but I did...very much. It was fun, funny and action packed. It is rated PG-13, but we took our 8 year old daughter and there was nothing objectionable, no sex, no curses...mostly violence and even that was mostly bloodless.

Yes, there was eye-candy for us ladies, too, but I liked th interplay between the characters and I liked that Black Widow is not a love interest or a suporting character, she is a full part of the team who kicks ass alongside the guys 8/10

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Dark Shadows a couple of weeks ago. Not familiar with the show, so I had no clue going on what it was all about. It was enjoyable, though, and I'll watch Johnny Depp in anything. So I'll give it a 7/10, just for the Depp factor. Without him it might not have held my interest.

Saw "Avengers" last week and loved it. And I'll watch Robert Downey Jr. in anything :grin: The only criticism I have of that movie is the last battle scene was way too long for my flavor. They could have cut about 20 minutes off of it and still had plenty to make a good battle scene. But my kid thought it was awesome.

Other than that, it was funny, exciting, well acted, and I loved that it had so many great actors in it rather than one main star. 9/10

Next week: MIB III can't wait. :)

Dark Shadows 9/10...Loved it! :thumbsup: , Love Johnny Depp...

Were you a fan of the original show Laurie? I was a huge fan and I'm afraid that I will be disappointed in the movie ... the show was pretty serious and dark, not the campy thing it developed into over time. If they've made it into a comedy, or poke fun, I won't like it. I was so looking forward to it. :P

I barely remember the series...my parents watched it every afternoon...I enjoyed the movie....it's a "dark comedy"....not like funny haha type of comedy...Has mostly serious/dramatic moments with a little bit of dark humour in it also...I enjoyed it.

I watched "Albert Nobbs" on pay per view (we got several free credits when we signed up with Dish). It was very well done, Glen Close was fabulous.

Not a lot of action, though, for those that seek a lot of visual stimulation. Just a sweet/sad movie about a woman in 1800s Ireland forced to dress up as a man for safety and to work to earn money to live on her own and buy a business.

9/10, unless you're an action flick fan, then probably 3/10 for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Last night i watched a film called "Barney's Version' starring Paul Giamatti (same guy who was in 'Sideways.') he always seems to get himself involved in little indie films that do no business but are always spectacularly good. And he is a superb actor.

'Barney's Version' is one such film. The first hour or so is hysterically funny, then the second half is incredibly sad. The main characters are all so self absorbed and played to perfection by Giamatti, Minnie Driver, Dustin Hoffman and more. And the mystery that haunts Barney through the whole second half doesn't get answered until the very last possible second, so it definitely kept my attention.

10/10. Watch it.

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed phil, we rented it, and I thought it was funny as h*ll.

Also finally saw "The Help". I read the book when it first came out, loved it, and couldn't wait for the movie. I just now got around to it, and I loved it again. :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

"Ted." If you are not amused by funny things, then STAY FAR FROM THIS MOVIE.

If, however, your depraved sense of humor should be packaged and sold off to others who need a sense of humor, depraved, twisted, or otherwise, then you, my kindred soul, cannot risk missing this flick.

We laughed from the 3rd minute into it and did not stop until it was almost over. Even the heartbreaking scenes were hysterical!

Mark wahlburg plays a guy who got a stuffed bear for his 8th birthday and wished him to life. They grew up together, started smoking pot and partying together, getting in trouble together. Then mark gets a girlfriend and the bear gets kidnapped. And the ending is excitingly wonderful while still being raunchily humorous. They take a dig at every ethnic group in the world. And tbey're dead on. Plus the have ryan reynolds in a cameo. How awesome is that. 10/10 easy