Rate the Last Movie You've Seen

Farin

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank You Laurie. Because of Kevin and Rayzor's addiction to cheap wine and "diet" pills, I will ignore their buzz filled comments.

phil... was just laughing at Kevin's comment. I am a fan of "... Cuckoo's Nest" as well. Kevin just makes me laugh sometimes (could be the cheap wine) :jester: :grin:

Paprika - 8/10

It's basically a really well done animated version of what Inception failed to be - intriguing and entertaining :P

Inuyasha: Affections touching across time - 5/10

I like the Inuyasha movies but it's been a while since I saw them. I guess it's not as good now that I've seen more series in the meantime that are better.

The secret of Kells - 9/10

So beautifully animated in such an different style! I loved it, it made me sad, I shed a tear. Nuff said. (You can watch the whole movie on YouTube as well... just sayin ;) )

I've been on anime kick for the past three years again (I stopped collecting around 1997) and I must say Kon Satoshi and Oshii Mamoru have been keeping the animated movie scene relevant. Of course, there's also every Miyazaki film that comes out once in a while (even though the latest effort based on The Borrowers is good, Disney ruined its ending by changing it).

By the way, if you think Inuyasha is boring and played out, you probably would not want to sit through 8 seasons, two movies, and several specials (OAVs) of Ranma 1/2 or 200 episodes, 6 movies, and more OAVs of Urusei Yatsura. With the collapse of the anime industry in Japan, series have become shorter and animation work is on a tighter schedule, all the while cutting a lot of corners (outsourcing to Corea and China, and using lots and lots of CG). Mermaid's Scar, the series, may still be an okay watch. If not, one could always revert back to Inuyasha :beatnik:

I've been on anime kick for the past three years again (I stopped collecting around 1997) and I must say Kon Satoshi and Oshii Mamoru have been keeping the animated movie scene relevant. Of course, there's also every Miyazaki film that comes out once in a while (although the latest effort based on The Borrowers is good, Disney ruined its ending).

By the way, if you think Inuyasha is boring and played out, you probably would not want to sit through 8 seasons, two movies, and several specials (OAVs) of Ranma 1/2 or 200 episodes, 6 movies, and more OAVs of Urusei Yatsura. With the collapse of the anime industry in Japan, series have become shorter and work on a tighter schedule, while cutting a lot of corners (outsourcing to Corea and China, and using lots and lots of CG). Mermaid's Scar, the series, may still be an okay watch. If not, one could always revert back to Inuyasha :beatnik:

I've been on another anime series spree the last year (some I've watched more than once years ago):

Soul eater, Hell Girl, Black cat, Blood, Basilisk, Hellsing, Ouran high school host club, Clannad after story, Death note, Full Metal Alchemist brotherhood, R.O.D, Furi kuri, Chobits, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Wolf & spice, Full Metal panic, Elfen Lied and Steins Gate (just started on this one).

I do want to also watch Cat Soup which I have had 2 recommendations for :)

Man, I can tell I've been outta the scene for too long; I've only seen four of those series. I recently bought the re-release of Chobits and some old copies of Clannad.

Clannad had a lot of potential to be better: the animation was alright, some of the character designs were well done, and the voice actors and music were pretty good. However, there is so much crammed into 24 episodes that the writers didn't bother developing anything/anyone further. Gone are the days of character development a la Maison Ikkoku, Kimagure Orange Road, and Marmalade Boy - replaced by rotoscoped CG animation that gives it the smooth quality most viewers have become accustomed to. Oh, my god, I also felt the urge to smack Fuuko and Nagisa for being overall annoying little girls HahHahHa. The Tomoya and Tomoyo story had the best potential, as seen in the extra episode. The should've done a modern version of KOR, with Kyou and her annoying sister as the other part of the love triangle. As it stands, I only really liked the special episode and the background music :beatnik:

Clannad.340227.jpg

Still, when it comes to modern anime, I've only really liked Strawberry Panic and Peach Girl. Sad, but true. We need more manly anime with men piloting robots and it needs to have violent wars and explosions, and hot girls, and more robots, robots that join other robots, and the occasional space cruiser filmed using Star Wars angles (i.e., from below). I hope they clear up the rights to Black Lagoon :cool:

Peach Girl is cute, but I never got too far into it when relying on youtube rips. It's too annoying when one episode is missing and you have to skip on to the next one.

However, as this is about movies... the last one I re-watched was The secret of Kells and it's just gorgeously done! It's not anime, but I love the animation style and it was a really sweet story. So sad with the footprints on the beach. Again.

thesecretofkells3.jpg

Just watched Vertigo for the third time... much love for Kim Novak, in spite of her chola eyebrows <3 Great cinematography for certain sequences (e.g., rotating camera angle, dream scene), memorable music by Bernard Herrmann (the guy most famous for Psycho's tense music and The Twilight Zone's creepy music), and decent acting from James Stewart and Barbara Bel Geddes (although really, really mismatched as "college" friends - there must be a 20-year difference between both!). The story was compelling and the ending is classic Hitchcock - sudden and shocking :beatnik:

I watched the most bizarre movie the other night, called "Never Let Me Go." It had Keira Knightley, Carie (?) Mulligan in it. It was WEIRD.

About a school that raises children for a very weird reason (you find out what it is about 30 minutes in). And about the three core characters' lives after the school, etc.

I would not watch it again. the subject matter was too bizarre, the whole thing was sad. But I guess if you're a scifi fan, maybe you'd like it.

I'll just it about 5/10, since it was tedious and ended badly. But it was weird enough to stick with me. :couch:

Kinda watched 'The Tree of Life ' with the wife who was fully into it . Reminded me of '2001 ' , a bit , as the story seemed to be going somewhere for a bit , and then it'd take a break and show you a bunch of artsy crap that was just confusing .Mind you ,I was reading a book at the same time and just looking in ....

Can't really rate it fairly then , as I wasn't paying close attention , but , then again ,kinda glad I wasn't .

Edited by Guest

Watched "Se7en" yet again last night. Morgan Freeman is wickedly cool. I'm not much of a Brad Pitt fan but I love his performance. He proves he can act. The movie cannot be ranked because that would elevate the status of the movies that have already been ranked. Suffice to say greatest movie ever. :rockon:

I know this isn't a new movie, however it's the first I've watched in months :tongue:

Se7en is excellent - Morgan gets my vote every time, and Brad plays the role excellently. It gives me faith that there are actors who have been labelled beefcakes or "hunks" (as if all they can bring to a movie is their 6 pack/face) but then they pull performances like that out the bag. This extends all the way to DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Brad etc etc.