Rate the Last Movie You've Seen

Farin

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moby Dick 6.5/10

An overlong adaptation of the book by Herman Melville. The first 45 minutes of the movie put me to sleep. The rest of it was reasonably good.

William Hurt is excellent as Captain Ahab, a decent, but dangerously obsessed character. The performances of the supporting cast are very good, although the special effects are mediocre at best.

It would have been a better movie had they cut the running time by about an hour.

Moby Dick 6.5/10

An overlong adaptation of the book by Herman Melville. The first 45 minutes of the movie put me to sleep. The rest of it was reasonably good.

William Hurt is excellent as Captain Ahab, a decent, but dangerously obsessed character. The performances of the supporting cast are very good, although the special effects are mediocre at best.

It would have been a better movie had they cut the running time by about an hour.

I am surprised at the risk to remake this one and not fear audience disappointment. Gregory Peck will ALWAYS be associated with Captain Ahab. Richard Basehart may easily have been replaced, but that be all ... arg mate.

Has no one here seen The Hobbit? Would love to read a review of it. It has not come to Brazil yet.

• 2 weeks later...

We took the kid to see "Journey 2: The Mysterious Island" last weekend. It wasn't too bad. The 3-D wasn't there just to be showy, it was well done. Anyway, I thought it was fun and a good one for the kids. 7/10

Oh, and right before it, there was a trailer for the Hobbit. Wow, the 3-D is absolutely amazing!

Primarily because I have seen it positively mentioned on this site, rented and watched The Big Lebowski for the first time last night (big screen TV, with surround sound, great ambiance) and would like to ask someone who might know; why is it considered such a cool movie?

I normally love the Coen Brothers work. Raising Arizona, No Country For Old Men are both favorites and have seen Fargo about 10 times, but will probably never waste the 2 hours on Lebowski again.

What I saw was disjointed, untied to even an abstract meaning (despite the winking assurances of Sam Elliot - which felt like condescension), wholly boring, barely funny in one or two spotty seconds, gratuitously violent and devoid of meaningful character development.

I know it's just me. What was possibly left out of the DVD version? What did I miss to not enjoy it?

Hey ,if i didn't strike you as funny and sucked ... then it sucked. Im with you you man . It was mildly amusing ,but certainly not the comedy opus of our time . :cool:

Say , just what IS the comedy opus of our time , anyway ... ?!?!

Edited by Guest

HOW DARE YOU?!? I'm going to have to send Kari after you. This aggression will not stand, man.

Ok, I'm not actually angry. It's one of those movies you either love or hate. I love it because I think the characters are some of the funniest ever created. I'll admit the plot is, well, slight, but I also think it's not all that important.

Primarily because I have seen it positively mentioned on this site, rented and watched The Big Lebowski for the first time last night (big screen TV, with surround sound, great ambiance) and would like to ask someone who might know; why is it considered such a cool movie?

I normally love the Coen Brothers work. Raising Arizona, No Country For Old Men are both favorites and have seen Fargo about 10 times, but will probably never waste the 2 hours on Lebowski again.

What I saw was disjointed, untied to even an abstract meaning (despite the winking assurances of Sam Elliot - which felt like condescension), wholly boring, barely funny in one or two spotty seconds, gratuitously violent and devoid of meaningful character development.

I know it's just me. What was possibly left out of the DVD version? What did I miss to not enjoy it?

I find it interesting that you liked Raising Arizona so much but disliked The Big Lebowski so much. I kind of see them as very similar movies.

But like Kevin said, if you didn't like it you didn't like it. I absolutely hate both The Sandlot and The Goonies but God forbid I say that to any of my friends. They'd skin me alive. My father absolutely despises Goodfellas.

Sometimes movies that people consider classics are still disliked by people. It just happens I guess.

Yeah, my wife wanted to leave the theater during Raising Arizona and I couldn't believe it. I was laughing throughout. Of course, that night I also thought Nick Cage was a great comedian (first movie I had seen him in.) But then again, he really sort of is, in his own way. Just some of his movies since then weren't comedies.