Rate the Last Movie You've Seen

Farin

The Wrestler 9/10

I am not a fan or wrestling or Mickey Rourke, but this movie really grabs you with the tragic story of a professional wrestler who is past his glory days, but still wrestling in small venues. He suffers an injury which ends his wrestling career, so he focuses on trying to repair his damaged relationship with his daughter and start one with a stripper.

Marisa Tomei may be 6 years older than me, but she rocks a wicked bod!

I thought it very cool that the two main characters actually mirrored one another in their "dream lost/attempting redemption" motivations. Thoughtful movie that really isn't about physical wrestling at all.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched a movie the other night. I have to say that the lead character was Sidney Poitier and I'm still thinking that no one could light up a scene like him.

The movie was called "Lillies of the Field" and it was about a poor black man building a church for German refugee nuns~ Amen

I'd like to add that he was the first black man to receive an Oscar (same movie) He was nominated again for the masterpiece "A Patch of Blue."

Saw 1968's The Scalphunters last night. Director Sydney Pollack's 3rd feature film stars Burt Lancaster, Ossie Davis, Telly Savalas and Shelley Winters. It is a western/comedy of a different stripe - that stripe being a hallmark of all Pollack's work. The underlying theme of this movie, produced around the end of Martin Luther King's life, is racial equality - or inequality, as it were.

The plot revolves around the attempt of trapper/outdoorsman extrordinaire Joe Bass (Lancaster) to reclaim a winter's worth of furs and pelts that he had been taking to redeem for sustainence. Along the way, the furs were confiscated from him by an indian forage party, later to be stolen from the indians by a marauding band of criminals heading to Mexico with the booty of a year's worth of crime in America. The gang is led by Jim Howie (Savalas) and his zodiac-guided woman, played by Winters.

At least the Indians offered something in exchange when they took Bass's pelts, a self-educated runaway slave, Joseph Lee (Davis,) who the Indians had previously found wandering the plains. Bass reluctantly accepts the runaway, as if a comodity. Putting a rope around his shoulders, forcing him to walk behind his horse, as if nothing more than a pack mule. The story follows Joe and Joseph as they stalk the caravan of Howie's gang heading toward Mexico. Bass's plan is to divide the gang, in an attempt to get back the furs.

The movie is adventurous, resourceful, well written and with enough laughs at places to make it very entertaining. In the end, Joe and Joseph find out just how much alike they really are. In a great scene they fight one another in a clay-filled pond and wind up coming out the same color of muddy gray.

This is vintage Pollack, from a very young Pollack, revealing his unique sense of storytelling and glimpses of the master that he will eventually become. I thoroughly enjoyed this beautifully paced movie.

8.5/10

127 Hours . . . good but not worth the hype

6/10

Source Code . . . better than I thought, but what else can you expect from the spawn of Bowie?

7/10

Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man . . . one of the better music documentaries I've seen. Almost made me cry it was so good.

10/10

Limitless . . . I liked it. Not as good as the book and not as good as I wanted it to be. But Bradley Cooper brought it.

6/10

Hereafter . . . I was into it until the ending . . .

4.5/10

Black Swan - 7/10

You can rarely go wrong with Natalie Portman, and Black Swan was no exception. You really start to feel the pressure and control of her life at dance school and at home with her overbearing mother, especially. Mila Kunis is cast perfectly as her extreme opposite, the Black Swan and as her sanity starts to unravel, so the pace of the movie quickens. There was a sortof twist at the end, but nothing unpredictable, sadly. Still a good watch, even if you are not into dancing.

oooo Rio was one of our choices. But we didn't even see "Hop." We ended up seeing "Your Highness." Which had really good potential to be a very funny flick, and it had fleeting moments of funniness.

Unfortunately, it was too laden with the f-word, with crude, gross, sexual jokes, and with a lot, a LOT, of blood and gore. I don't mind the f-word, or crude sex jokes, or even a little gore, but too much just takes the fun right out of it.

3/10

• 3 weeks later...

Went to see Thor. It's actually quite good if you can watch it without thinking about Norse mythology (which I happen to be a big fan of) or the comics it was based on (which I happen to be a big fan of). But the guy they got to play Loki was, hands down, the best actor in the movie.

I'd give it a 7/10

6/10 for the movie itself

And then I give it an extra point for the Green Lantern trailer at the starting.

I watched Caroline the second times yesterday,I admire the film mostly because it is good to look at. Selick is as unconventional in his imagery as Gaiman is in his writing, and this is a movie for people who know and care about drawing, caricature, grotesquerie and the far shores of storytelling. In short, you might care little about a fantasy, little indeed about this story, and still admire the artistry of it all, including an insidious score by Bruno Coulais, which doesn't pound at us like many horror scores, but gets under our psychic fingernails.

I watched Caroline the second times yesterday,I admire the film mostly because it is good to look at. Selick is as unconventional in his imagery as Gaiman is in his writing, and this is a movie for people who know and care about drawing, caricature, grotesquerie and the far shores of storytelling. In short, you might care little about a fantasy, little indeed about this story, and still admire the artistry of it all, including an insidious score by Bruno Coulais, which doesn't pound at us like many horror scores, but gets under our psychic fingernails.

To quote Courtney Taylor-Taylor of the Dandy Warhols: "Every frame of Coraline is a beautiful work of art, but when put together, it's really quite boring"

I agree. But it really is quite amazing to look at . . . especially on Blu-Ray

Any one that has not viewed a movie titled, "The Machinist" is truly missing out on one of the most original story lines and what I consider one of the greatest actors of all-time!

It starred Christian Bale. The premise was an insomniac that had not slept in over a year!

Keep in mind, that anyone that hasn't slept in a year would be horrifyingly skinny or thin.

Christian Bale went on a six-month diet of eating only one apple and one can of tunafish (in natural oil) a day for six months!

There were no make-up artists that made him look thin, he was! He lowered his weight from a muscular 190 pounds to 101 pounds of sickening skeletal tissue just for the role!

Even more amazing; after production had ceased, he went on a heavy protein diet for six months to play the lead role of BATMAN!

He weighed in at 195 pounds of pure muscle! Just six months of weighing practically nothing!

That's what I call dedication to the acting profession!

It's (The Machinist) a true ten!

... "The Machinist" ... starred Christian Bale. .... He lowered his weight from a muscular 190 pounds to 101 pounds of sickening skeletal tissue just for the role!

Even more amazing; after production had ceased, he went on a heavy protein diet for six months to play the lead role of BATMAN!

After that, he again lost a bunch of weight for his role as an imprisoned U.S. pilot shot down and interred in a Vietcong POW camp. In that movie, Rescue Dawn, he looked like a skeleton, as well.

He obviously has a tremendous amount of self-control in the area of diet and weight.

I concur, my friend. I try to test my limits but I'm nothing to Christian Bale.

I kinda worry about him. A human body shouldn't undergo such drastic changes so frequently.

I'm just amazed that he's still alive.

Remember when he played the lead role of "American Psycho?"

That movie showed Bale at his best. (imo)

Last week, I treated myself to one of my favorite movies, "Love Actually". It's tagline is "The Ultimate Romantic Comedy", but I feel that's a misnomer, since it explored the not so great side of love as well. It is, however, funny and has a great cast: Emma Thompson, Alan Rickman, Colin Firth, Bill Nighy, Hugh Grant....8.5/10

I then watched "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", about a man who is born old and gradually becomes younger. Amazing looking and well done movie, but I found it a little boring and draggy at parts. It stars Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett 7/10