Rate the Last Movie You've Seen

Farin

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanna see Garage Olimpo so bad, but it's not been officially released here in North America. I could buy the Mexican dvd, but it isn't subtitled, so I wouldn't be able to watch it with my brother. I remember seeing other films from South America such as La Historia Oficial/"The Official Story" from Argentina and Machuca from Chile, which were okay. They were definitely better than Voces Inocentes/"Innocent Voices," although that movie was okay as well.

Holy CARP! I just bought/saw Garage Olimpo and the whole thing left me gobsmacked. It was a good movie, but the whole thing about the _____ _______ was disturbing because it's true - that s**t really happened.

Oddly enough, I also come from an area where this type of thing was going on, but it looks so different when put in the context of Argentina. I remember when I was living in Latin America thinking how Argentinians looked so "healthy" (when compared to the peeps in my country) and being so good at futbol. "Why would they be at war with each other when they got everything?" I thought as a kid. Hahaha. I thought that place was great compared to the daily barrage of machine gunfire and bombs we had to deal with... except they had their share of the same thing over there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI63tmoLNyU

You know what's funny? All these guys were trained to torture and murder at the School of the Americas here in the US :beatnik:

• 2 weeks later...

I watched "No Country For Old Men" last week....8/10. Violent, yes, but it pulled you in right away. You are instantly creeped out by Javier Bardem and root for scrappy Josh Brolin.

I watched "The Lovely Bones" on Wednesday. Peter Jackson toned down some violence from the book, and also cut out some important plot points. If I hadn't already read the book (which is light years better), I think I would have been lost and/or bored in some parts. 6/10.

"I Am Number Four" 6.5/10

A view from space as we travel toward the third planet lets the audience know that we're in for a tale of extraterrestrials. Sudden mayhem, a death hunt, and a flaming scar draw us into a "Sword In The Stone"-like tale of a fugitive youth trying to keep off enemy radar. Some reviewers have compared the action to "Smallville," but I haven't seen that series. It moves at it's own pace, which makes it seem longer than it is in Paradise, Ohio. This is the the first of a series of tales in "Highlander" style.

Hot Tub Time Machine

3/10

A few very funny moments, but you could tell that everyone involved knew this movie was stupid. I think it was built on the "Snakes On A Plane" model of dumb movie with a memorable title designed to attract online buzz.

The thing is, they could have made this a 6 if they took it a tad more seriously and bothered to write a better script.

God help me, but I took the 7 year old Peachlette and one of her friends to see the Justin Bieber movie yesterday. It was basically a glorified Behind the Music episode with performances sprinkled in but I actually enjoyed it. I had no idea he was such a musically gifted little sucker.

4/5

My wife drew the short straw and wound up taking our 11 year old daughter to see the Biebster in 3D. My daughter loved it and my wife reluctantly agreed that she too was favourably impressed. Like him or not, he is quite a talented little fellow.

While my wife and daughter were being Bieberized, I took my son to see The Adjustment Bureau with Matt Damon. I really had no idea what to expect since I had not even seen an advertisement for the movie. I was pleasantly surprised. The plot was based on an interesting premise relating to spirituality and mankind's origins. Except for Damon and Emily Blunt, the cast were basically a bunch of no names. Well, I guess Terence Stamp does not qualify as a no name. The acting was very good and, surprise surprise, there was no nudity, graphic violence or foul language.

All in all, a very enjoyable way to kill a couple hours. 7.5/10

I watched "The Kite Runner", based on the book. It's the story of two boys whose friendship is torn apart by one event. Years later, one of them gets a shot at redemption. It was a pretty good adaptation of the book, touching and well acted 7/10.

Just saw The Fighter. Great flick. It's about the difficult rise of Irish Mickey Ward to boxing champion. But, the movie is really about the Ward family and their hometown of Lowell, Mass. The acting was great, especially Christian Bale and Mellisa Leo. The movie was a total pissah! I give it Four Phils up.

"Battle: Los Angeles" 5.5/10

My old college classmate insisted on seeing this tale of war, apparently omnipotent aliens, rescue, and sacrifice at an IMAX theater! The screen was HUGE, as expected, though we were seated far enough to see the action. (He wants to see the next "Pirates of the Caribbean" in IMAX next.) Michelle Rodriguez, a USAF tech, does her best Sigourney Weaver/"Pvt. Vasquez." There was mention of John Wayne, and The Duke would approve of this tale of a USMC company that keeps getting smaller as the aliens use them for target practice. Don't expect Insight into the characters, or Plot, just chomp on the popcorn after you put in the earplugs and you'll e first in line to sign up for military service after.

Greenfingers Starring Clive Owen and Helen Mirren.

Another quirky British comedy. This one is loosely based on the exploits of inmates at a British open prison who learn to become creative and talented gardeners. They actually become so proficient that they receive an invitation to participate in the prestigious Hampton Court flower competition.

Very amusing in an understated way. Clive Owen and Helen Mirren are excellent and they receive stellar support from the rest of the cast including David Kelly (Waking Ned Devine).

7.5/10

"Moon" (2009) 9/10

Sam Bell is the sole human at Lunar Industries' Helium 3 mining facility on the dark side of the Moon. GERTY, a robot, is there to "help you in any way possible," taking care of technical operations and trying to solve the "no live communication" problem with Earth. Sam's 3 year contract ends in 2 weeks, then he'll be homeward bound to his family on Helium 3-Fusion-powered Earth. While tending one of the automatic miner/processors, Sam crashes a rover. He awakes in Medical, and sees...himself! Thus begins a tale of contracts, contact, and paranoia. (DVD bought from the soon-to-be-history Waikele Borders store.)

The Wrestler 9/10

I am not a fan or wrestling or Mickey Rourke, but this movie really grabs you with the tragic story of a professional wrestler who is past his glory days, but still wrestling in small venues. He suffers an injury which ends his wrestling career, so he focuses on trying to repair his damaged relationship with his daughter and start one with a stripper.

Marisa Tomei may be 6 years older than me, but she rocks a wicked bod!

"Moon" (2009) 9/10

Sam Bell is the sole human at Lunar Industries' Helium 3 mining facility on the dark side of the Moon. GERTY, a robot, is there to "help you in any way possible," taking care of technical operations and trying to solve the "no live communication" problem with Earth. Sam's 3 year contract ends in 2 weeks, then he'll be homeward bound to his family on Helium 3-Fusion-powered Earth. While tending one of the automatic miner/processors, Sam crashes a rover. He awakes in Medical, and sees...himself! Thus begins a tale of contracts, contact, and paranoia. (DVD bought from the soon-to-be-history Waikele Borders store.)

I LOVED THAT MOVIE.