Rate the Last Movie You've Seen

Farin

I watched "(500)Days of Summer" yesterday. It starred Joseph Gordon Levitt (Tommy from 3rd Rock from the Sun) and Zooey Deschanel. It was the story of their relationship told out of sequence from the man's point of view. It was funny and cute and I loved the random dance sequence. 8/10

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The King's Speech 9/10. Colin Firth gives, IMO, the best performance of his career (and that's saying something) portraying King George VI. He's a shy, insecure and decent man thrust into a position he doesn't want and struggles mightily to overcome a serious speech impediment.

Brilliant performances by Geoffrey Rush, Helena Bonham Carter, Michael Gambon and Guy Pearce.

This movie definitely lives up to all the hype.

C'mon boys, take it easy, there's not that much of her to go around. She is lovely, but she could eat a sandwich or two.

Because of the 5,000th snow storm, my kiddo is home today, so we watched "Alvin & The Chipmunks" and "Stuart Little". I am all cuted out!

I saw Zooey on a late night talk show once. It might have been Conan. She was vapid, non-responsive, and a pretty all-around uninteresting interview.

Although I did like her in "Elf," and she was perfect playing the crazy stoner psycho girlfriend on the lam in "Weeds."

^^ :laughing: :smirk:

Get Him to the Greek

This movie had a few funny bits, but there wasn't much to it really and the filmmakers seemed to really stretch out the storyline to meet the time limit, so there was a lot of unneeded filler. I also didn't appreciate the drug jokes that were used widely throughout the film, since there wasn't much of an anti drug message in place.

70%

I watched "Ingourious Basterds". It was a fantasy/revenge story about a group of Jewish American soldiers sent into Nazi occupied France to terrorize the Germans. Their plans eventually coincide with a young theater owner's plans for revenge as well. 9/10.

It's a mystery to me why Christoph Waltz only got a supporting actor award for this. He was practically in the whole movie and stole the show! He should have been nominated as/won best actor.

Tron Legacy in 3D. 3/10 There are two hours of my life I'll never get back. The special effects were mediocre and the plot was so thin you could shoot peas through it. Even IMAX and Jeff Bridges were not enough to elevate this movie above the mundane.

Chronicles of an Escape (aka "Buenos Aires, 1977"), after a true story of four men who narrowly escaped death at the hands of a military death squad during the Argentine dirty war in the 1970s. (Wikipedia)

bone chilling... but at least it ends on a brighter note than another film of the same topic called

Olympic Garage (aka "Garage Olimpo", aka "Junta"), about a young female student prisoner and her warden/torturer who used to be a shy neighbourhood guy with a crush on her.

both are very high quality films with great scripts and actors... rating 8 or 9/10

I just finished watching "Atonement". I read the book and while good, it took some patience to get through. The movie does a good job of moving the story along quickly, but there were still some boring parts. It's a story about a girl who tells a lie that affects her sister and one of their servants, and the girl's attempt to put everything right again.

Keira Knightley is another pretty girl who needs to frickin' eat a hamburger. She looks like she could snap in half.

Anyway, I'll rate the film 7/10.

Chronicles of an Escape (aka "Buenos Aires, 1977"), after a true story of four men who narrowly escaped death at the hands of a military death squad during the Argentine dirty war in the 1970s. (Wikipedia)

bone chilling... but at least it ends on a brighter note than another film of the same topic called

Olympic Garage (aka "Garage Olimpo", aka "Junta"), about a young female student prisoner and her warden/torturer who used to be a shy neighbourhood guy with a crush on her.

both are very high quality films with great scripts and actors... rating 8 or 9/10

I wanna see Garage Olimpo so bad, but it's not been officially released here in North America. I could buy the Mexican dvd, but it isn't subtitled, so I wouldn't be able to watch it with my brother. I remember seeing other films from South America such as La Historia Oficial/"The Official Story" from Argentina and Machuca from Chile, which were okay. They were definitely better than Voces Inocentes/"Innocent Voices," although that movie was okay as well.

"The King's Speech" 9.5/10

A tale of sibling rivalry, a distant father, and a second son not ready for prime time. Finally, an intelligent movie that isn't a waste of time, is thought provoking, where the stakes are sky high...for real. The Duke of York, "Bertie," has a fearful stammer, which made his last speech a silent disaster. An unlikely speech therapist without academic credentials but with an impressive record might yet succeed where marbles haven't. Exercises, tongue twisters, and curses follow, and the man who doesn't want to be king improves. Death, scandal, and an abdication lead to the beginning of a great friendship.