Rate the Last Movie You've Seen

Farin

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mulholland Drive

I can see why people accuse it of being over-the-top, or pretentious, or ridiculous, or gratuitously difficult to understand, but I loved it.

Film critics loved Mullholland Dr. and it received a number of awards, but I think Lynch's Lost Highway (1997) is superior. It is almost like tagging along on a disturbing dream. Great cast, with Robert Blake as Mystery Man.

I'll check it out.

Akira Kurosawa's "Dreams"

A+, it was beautiful. It was like watching a moving painting for two hours. The plot is nothing more than a series of unrelated dreams the famous director had througout his life, so I'd only reccomend it if you are willing to sacrifice the traditional narrative elements for beautiful cinematography. If you thought the settings in Avatar looked good, man, wait til you see this!

"Sunset Blvd"... :P again.

What an amazing movie... that Norma Desmond is scary... :laughing: ...and William Holden was such a handsome guy... :cool:

10/10. A classic. :bow: :bow:

"Charly and the Chocolate Box". Again. But not at all my fave Tim Burton movie. In fact, I much prefer the book... well, the tale...

A movie with Robin Williams is like getting a hair in your soup.

Oh, yes... :P

He's to movies like Phil Collins to music... :P

I'll check it out.

Akira Kurosawa's "Dreams"

A+, it was beautiful. It was like watching a moving painting for two hours. The plot is nothing more than a series of unrelated dreams the famous director had througout his life, so I'd only reccomend it if you are willing to sacrifice the traditional narrative elements for beautiful cinematography. If you thought the settings in Avatar looked good, man, wait til you see this!

:thumbsup: It was slow in places, but you are right about this movie's beauty. To successfully bring Van Gogh to life within the world as he saw it, was one of the highlights in the film.

If you enjoyed Dreams, you will probably love Girl With The Pearl Earring. Same type of movie, with respect to lush cinematography that makes the viewer feel like they are walking through a museum of art.

A movie with Robin Williams is like getting a hair in your soup.

In his defense, a few movies with good performances by Williams:

The Night Listener (2006), The Final Cut (2004), One Hour Photo (2002).

I am not saying these are necessarily great films, only that his acting in them is noteworthy. I've also enjoy his minor roles in other dramas.

Without a doubt, his manic comedy shtick lost its dazzle a long time ago. But the same holds true for Steve Martin, Jim Carrey, and Jack Black (if you're looking for the real kiss of death).

In my opinion, DeNiro is inept in the comedies he's been relegated to.

I mean, I thought Batman Begins was pretty good. I certainly didn't think it was bad at the very least.

It wasn't bad at all... it was terrible. Probably one of the worst movies of the decade, right behind Requiem For A Dream :beatnik:

In his defense, a few movies with good performances by Williams:

The Night Listener (2006), The Final Cut (2004), One Hour Photo (2002).

I am not saying these are necessarily great films, only that his acting in them is noteworthy. I've also enjoy his minor roles in other dramas.

Without a doubt, his manic comedy shtick lost its dazzle a long time ago. But the same holds true for Steve Martin, Jim Carrey, and Jack Black (if you're looking for the real kiss of death).

In my opinion, DeNiro is inept in the comedies he's been relegated to.

Aye, that you are right. He was good in Dead Poets Society and Good Will Hunting, but his comedy style is really annoying. Steve Martin has laid off a lot of that for the past ten or fifteen years, mostly doing drama or a dramedy, as well as writing. Jim Carrey was good in In Living Color and The Cable Guy. Everything else can be recycled.

"Closer" was an incredibly acted movie. It was a disturbing movie, but the leads were all very good, and Julia Roberts had one of the more powerful scenes I've seen her play, and she nailed it.

The song "Thnks fr th Mmrs" by Fall Out Boy has a reference to that scene in it.

"One night and one more time

thanks for the memories,

Even though they weren't so great,

he tastes like you, only sweeter."

I agree about her acting...everyone did a good job and it was a well written movie, too, I was just left a little sour about the people in it. I guess you're not supposed to like anyone in it, but I really wanted to just slap those sickos.

She did a good job in shattering her "America's sweetheart" image in that role, though.

I don't believe the Inception hype . . . but I still loved the hell out of that movie.

Just saw The Green Hornet. It was awesome. There were a lot of direct references to the original radio series and the TV series with Bruce Lee. I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would.

I'd give it a solid 8/10.

I watched "The Expendables", too. I was expecting it to be a more tongue in cheek movie, but it took itself so seriously. Glad I didn't pay the theater price to see that. Stallone, Dolph Lundgren, Jason Statham, Jet Li and a bunch of other dudes beating people up and blowing stuff up. 6/10.