Rate the Last Movie You've Seen

Farin

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have made some excellent choices, there. I have a Miyazaki Hayao box set with those animated movies (I think it also includes "Castle In The Sky" and "Porco Rosso"). Labyrinth has some very romantic songs; I don't think people realise just how good they were and I'm a bit shocked they've been forgotten ("As The World Falls Down" and "Within You," but also the instrumentals). When you listed Dorian Gray, though, I got a bit circumspect since very few people would choose the Massimo Dallamano film from 1970 to watch nowadays (is it in print, even?). Then I checked to see if there were any updates and, sure enough, one from last year. I rather like the 1970 film, so any other movie taking from Oscar Wilde's masterpiece has to achieve that level or be more lewd and crass.

If I were to rate Labyrinth, I'd give it a solid 8 :beatnik:

I've been very aware of the Mizayaki films for a while, but just haven't watched them - so glad I finally did! Laputa: Castle In The Sky (Tenkû no shiro Rapyuta) is next on my list :)

Here is a good list for those not into the films - gives a good breakdown of each one.

Labyrinth has some great songs (well delivered by Bowie, especially "As the world falls down") which is a song I have known for far longer than since I saw the movie). It received a 6 for me because as a kids movie, it just didn't do it for me - didn't connect with the main character (probably down to her shaky acting at times). Isn't up there with the likes of Neverending Story :P

Ah, don't remind me of The Neverending Story... The Swamp of Sadness! :puppyeyes:

Jennifer Connelly is a guilty pleasure. I thought she was the prettiest girl I had seen when I was a kid - I even felt gealous of Bowie in the movie! Hahaha :cool:

Right now, I'm thinking about kids' movies that failed from my perspective and a less obvious choice is The Little Prince. The movie took the story so literally that it ruined its subtle poetry and magic :beatnik:

The other night my wife used a free coupon to pick out a DVD from the shop we patronize; and we sat down to watch one from 1983 titled Exposed, a good life lesson in the old adage that "You get what you paid for it" and was not unlike reading all the comics in the Sunday paper and trying to make them all be the same story.

The movie starred Nastassja Kinski, Rudolph Nureyev (yes, the dance master,) Ian McShane, Harvey Keitel and Bibi Andersson. Now, those are all legitimate entertainment stars. The movie was produced by United Artists, a legitmate film company. Shot on location in New York, Paris and someplace that had snow and dairy farms like Wisconsin. Now these are all legitmate locales. And yet ... and yet ... this movie has absolutely no legitimate entertainment value; well, beyond the camera showering visions of Kinski, alluding to her totally natural beauty - which she absolutely has!

But the story of a Wisconsin native (Kinski) going to college in New York City dropping out of school to return home to inform her parents then returning to New York with no work prospects only to be accidentally discovered by a photographer (McShane) and transformed into a successful international magazine model who is accidentally seduced by a terrorist-hunting concert master (first chair violinist) from the Paris symphony orchestra (Nureyev) after which the now-model accidentally finds the hunter's prime terrorist quarry (Keitel) through an accidental meeting with one of the terrorist's associates (Andersson) is a story that is just so unbelievable and so poorly written and directed as to be deemed a total waste of 2 hours trying to connect the dots!

It would have been much more entertaining had this travesty been a half hour home movie of Kinski doing whatever she felt like doing before the camera - which in those parts of Exposed where misguiding director James Toback allowed for something very close to that effect to take place - we have the movie's best parts. The worst parts were numerous and some very ... well .. embarrassing to watch, the worst of which may have been when Nureyev is trying to look passionate with a naked Kinski, which I got the feeling was as difficult for him to transcend in acting as it would have been in his real life. Keitel walks through his part as if it isn't really there; which given the director's high-schoolish script, it wasn't. It is as if every plot portion in every action/romance/drama movie was attempted to be stuffed into a single suitcase and all that happens is that the suitcase splits and all the junk lands on the floor.

1/10 (the 1 being for the pleasure of seeing Kinski's beauty)

Just watched The Wizard of Oz with my nephew. Since I have lived in Kansas for twenty two years, I don't think I'll ever like this movie as much as non-Kansans. My nephew loves it, but he hasn't been exposed to the bombardment of references to Dorothy and Toto from people who live in other states.

Yes. I live in Kansas. No I've never met Dorothy or Toto. Yes, I've seen/been through a tornado or two.

Overall I'd give the movie a 5/10. I wish someone would make one that's more true to the book, though. Cause that stuff was scary.

watched "Up" the other night. Who knew that the first 10 minutes would be such a downer? Jeez.

The rest of it was cute, but still tear-inducing. I thought this was gonna be a really funny cute "Shrek"-like flick that would make me laugh. It's got a pretty serious message, and only a very few funny parts.

But it does make you think.

6/10 for false advertising that it was a funny movie.

I just watched Justice League: The New Frontier, an animated movie based on the Darwyn Cooke graphic novel DC: The New Frontier. It was pretty much the best animated comic book adaptation ever made. Especially the bits involving Green Lantern (Best superhero EVER).

I also dig the old 50s/60s style animation. Made me feel like I was watching the old comic books come to life.

I'd give it a 9/10

1 point deducted for Aquaman. Even if he is only in the movie for 10 seconds, he's still Aquaman.

*note*

I don't know if my rating can be trusted. I tend to give anything with the Green Lantern a lot of slack. Well. Providing it's the Hal Jordan version of GL. Well, Kyle Rayner was good too. Really anyone who ISN'T John Stewart. My god, worst Lantern EVER!!!!

Rant over

*note*

• 2 weeks later...

Defiance - the film is (I'm sure, loosely) based on the true life account of 4 Jewish brothers in Eastern Europe who escape to the forest after their parents are murdered by local police on order of the Nazi's, and end up sheltering over 1,000 other Jewish refugees in their forest camp until the end of the WWII. I don't know how historically correct the film was (it's not a documentary), for a serious subject it was great entertainment. 8.5/10

Defiance - the film is (I'm sure, loosely) based on the true life account of 4 Jewish brothers in Eastern Europe who escape to the forest after their parents are murdered by local police on order of the Nazi's, and end up sheltering over 1,000 other Jewish refugees in their forest camp until the end of the WWII. I don't know how historically correct the film was (it's not a documentary), for a serious subject it was great entertainment. 8.5/10

I love that movie! But I'm also a sucker for holocaust movies.

I went and saw "Eat, Pray, Love" today. Who knew that "friendo" Javier Bardem could be so dern sexy? *whew*

Great chick flick. I was smiling as I left the theatre, which lasted just long enough to get me to the parking lot where I saw my car with gum or tar or some such substance in thin strings stretching the length of the front driver side quarter panel along the entire door.

I'll give the movie 8.5/10, because I really enjoyed it.

I'll give the gum/tar -1 billion/10 because I really didn't enjoy cleaning that off.

Javier Bardim is great in "Love In The Time Of Cholera." He plays a man who pines his whole life for his unattainable "true love." Of course that lifetime of pining does not deter him from making love to over 600 other women, whom he catalogs in a journal. When he finally does hook up with his true love, at a very mature age, his best line is, "I haf remained a firgin for you."

It is a very entertaining epic/period movie.

I give it 9/10