Rate the Last Movie You've Seen

Farin

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forced myself to relax long enough to watch one of my Netflix that's been sitting here for over a week: "Valentine's Day."

I'd read some pretty horrid reviews on it, but just like my mooshy heart, I loved it. Sappy cheesy stories get me, and this one had some way over-the-top talent and some good vignettes. It was happy, sad, and angrifying all at the same time. But in the end, it left me content and happy I'd seen it. :content:

9/10

I totally want to see that one! My kid does, too. It's the sort of movie that we both love. Maybe I'll drag him outta school early on Wednesday (it's his birthday) and take him.

I watched "The Messenger" last night. Another depressing flick about the fringes of the war.

Starring Woody Harrelson and Ben Foster (who I've never heard of). If you enjoy first-rate acting, watch this one. These two guys are unbelievable in these roles. They didn't act the roles. They just were. Awesome.

The storyline is depressing, but then for a movie about two guys who deliver bad news to Army families, it's expected it's not going to a joyous film.

The scene toward the end, where they're sitting on the couch and he's telling Harrelson his story about what happened to him in the war is one of the more subtle and amazing bits of monologue I've ever seen. Watch for it.

I recommend it for Harrelson and Foster. 9/10

Yep. There's the classic Carl Theodor Dreyer (of Vampyr fame) Silent classic as well... :beatnik:

Recently got around to seeing 4 films of a 43-film series of a Japanese Pop archetypal vagabond character. Seems every major culture has these personalities (i.e., Charles Chaplin's "Tramp," Mario Moreno's "Cantinflas," and I'm sure I've seen a Chinese and European versions, but can't recall them at the moment). All movies in this series follow the same story trajectory of the vagabond/traveling peddler/wanderer Kuruma Torajiro ("Tora-san"), a simple fellow, perhaps simple-minded at times, rough-around-the-edges, luckless loser, but well-meaning in the end, as he goes back and forth from his travels throughout Japan and comes back to his relatives' small town where drama and comedy ensue. One of the integral parts of every story is meeting a girl in distress whom he immediately falls in love at first sight and proceeds to help her in hopes of being in her good graces... but he never gets the girl, as she's usually betrothed, married, has a long-distance relationship, etc. I rather like this outcast character because these movies came at a time when Japan was progressing rapidly in every facet of society (work, religion, culture, home), and a lot of the traditional things were being forgotten and abandoned, whereas in Tora's world, stuff harkens back to "the good old days" (I love the irony that it's an "outsider" who most promotes "tradition"). As a side note, the liner notes and background to the four movies are very informative.

torasanhistenderlove.jpg

Saw two movies the other day.

Glengarry Glen Ross, 8/10. Lots of yelling and angry people. Though I liked Al Pacino's character, I hated Ed Harris's character. And I wasn't terribly fond of Jack Lemmon's character. But some great acting though.

Lenny, 10/10. Kept my interest the whole time and a great story. And of course, my favorite actor Dustin Hoffman was AMAZING. He got Lenny Bruce down almost exact. The standup was said almost exactly like Lenny would've said it. Such a good movie.

Me and my kid saw "The Other Guys" today... laughed our way through it... what a great funny flick! I thought Ferrell and Wahlberg played off each other so well - right when I was getting tired of Wahlberg's incessant anger, he mellowed out, so timing was perfect. And I love Will Ferrell anyway.

9/10

I liked Glengarry Glen Ross as well, but I thought it kind of dragged on and on and I eventually got sick of it being almost entirely set in the same office environment and the all-male cast as well.

Yea, same. When I asked my Dad about it he said "It's a bunch of guys yelling "f**k" in an office for an hour and a half."

Just watchedPee-Wee's big Adventure for the first time in forever last night. I liked it a lot! I especially liked James Brolin as "P. W. Herman" in the movie within the movie.

I'd give it an 8.

And I'll be getting The Runaways in the mail tomorrow, I'm really hoping I like it. Though, I'm a bit apprehensive about Kristen Stewart as Joan.

My girlfriend dragged me to see The Switch starring Jennifer Aniston. She loved it, but it didn't do it for me. The only saving grace for me was Jeff Goldblum.

I'd give it a 5/10

2.5 for Goldblum and 2.5

and

2.5 for the preview for Legend of the Guardians

One thing I just thought of though, it may be better on DVD. As a guy, I don't pay good money to watch people work out their relationship drama on screen. I go see things on the big screen to see epic explosions. So, I'll give it another chance when I watch it at home.

you're a good boyfriend, RT, for going with your girlfriend to see a chick flick. All women within reading range of your post are heaving a collective sigh of longing for a boyfriend/husband that will set aside their machismo enough to accompany them to a chick flick.

Or, they just go with a buncha girlfriends. ;)

you're a good boyfriend, RT, for going with your girlfriend to see a chick flick. All women within reading range of your post are heaving a collective sigh of longing for a boyfriend/husband that will set aside their machismo enough to accompany them to a chick flick.

Or, they just go with a buncha girlfriends. ;)

I actually dig chick flicks quite a bit. Just not in the theater. Seriously though, Breakfast at Tiffany's is my favorite movie of all time.

You know that girl in the theater who spends most of the movie texting? That was wifey during "The Other Guys." Ever wonder what people text about during a movie? How much they're hating the movie. I thought it was funny, but didn't like Marky Mark in that role. He shouldn't do comedy, since he has kind of a Sean Penn vibe at this point.

Me: 7/10

Wifey: 1/10

he was a little high strung and could have maybe played the role a little less severe... but he loosened up toward the end, and it worked its way out. Otherwise, I'd have felt the same way... As it was, I loved him in that role - especially with Will Farrel for sidekick relief!

My favorite scene: the dinner table where he meets Gamble's wife for the first time. :laughing: :laughing:

I've seen a fair few movies lately, but I'd like to bundle My neighbour Totoro, Howls moving castle, Spirited away, Nausicaa of the wind and Princess Mononoke the closest to 10/10 any animated movies have reached for me (all from the Studio Ghibli series - yeah yeah I know, have I been living under a rock that it has taken me so long to watch them...)

They are beautifully animated, tell beautiful stories and you get completely enchanted by the characters and their charming personalities! I'd highly recommend the first 3 for little ones up to about 10 and the rest for that and above (there is some necessary violence in the last 2).

I've also watched these which I shall just rate without saying why - I'll leave it to you to guess :grin:

Plunkett & Macleane - 6/10

Dorian Gray - 5/10

I ♥ huckabees - 8/10

Sideways - 7/10

The Black Dahlia - 7/10

Inception - 6/10

The dark crystal - 7/10

Labyrinth - 6/10

I've seen a fair few movies lately, but I'd like to bundle My neighbour Totoro, Howls moving castle, Spirited away, Nausicaa of the wind and Princess Mononoke the closest to 10/10 any animated movies have reached for me (all from the Studio Ghibli series - yeah yeah I know, have I been living under a rock that it has taken me so long to watch them...)

They are beautifully animated, tell beautiful stories and you get completely enchanted by the characters and their charming personalities! I'd highly recommend the first 3 for little ones up to about 10 and the rest for that and above (there is some necessary violence in the last 2).

I've also watched these which I shall just rate without saying why - I'll leave it to you to guess :grin:

Plunkett & Macleane - 6/10

Dorian Gray - 5/10

I ♥ huckabees - 8/10

Sideways - 7/10

The Black Dahlia - 7/10

Inception - 6/10

The dark crystal - 7/10

Labyrinth - 6/10

You have made some excellent choices, there. I have a Miyazaki Hayao box set with those animated movies (I think it also includes "Castle In The Sky" and "Porco Rosso"). Labyrinth has some very romantic songs; I don't think people realise just how good they were and I'm a bit shocked they've been forgotten ("As The World Falls Down" and "Within You," but also the instrumentals). When you listed Dorian Gray, though, I got a bit circumspect since very few people would choose the Massimo Dallamano film from 1970 to watch nowadays (is it in print, even?). Then I checked to see if there were any updates and, sure enough, one from last year. I rather like the 1970 film, so any other movie taking from Oscar Wilde's masterpiece has to achieve that level or be more lewd and crass.

If I were to rate Labyrinth, I'd give it a solid 8 :beatnik: