Rate the Last Movie You've Seen

Farin

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed my first Netflix movie - freebie, as I just enrolled in the 30 day free introductory plan, and the expiration date is somehow magically at the end of August.

It was "The Lovely Bones." Which was much much much different than I had anticipated. A bit slow, but suspenseful all the same. I love the girl who starred in it.

I also bawled like a baby. Don't know why, really. Maybe I'm stressed. I'll have to read up on that in my psychology textbook.

7/10

Gorgeous imagery. Like an acid trip. I'm guessing.

COINCIDENCE! I just joined with the 30 day thing and watched Julie & Julia.

Incidentally Shawna, I heard the Lovely Bones film did not live up to the book, and the book is one of the best I've personally ever read. I'm still going to watch the movie and I'm glad I can free it on Netflix.

I just watched Kansas vs. Darwin. It's a documentary about the debates between supporters of Darwinism and Creationism in Kansas. I thought it was great but that might have something to do with the fact that one of the main people getting interviewed is a friend and old teacher of mine.

I enjoyed my first Netflix movie - freebie, as I just enrolled in the 30 day free introductory plan, and the expiration date is somehow magically at the end of August.

It was "The Lovely Bones." Which was much much much different than I had anticipated. A bit slow, but suspenseful all the same. I love the girl who starred in it.

I also bawled like a baby. Don't know why, really. Maybe I'm stressed. I'll have to read up on that in my psychology textbook.

7/10

Gorgeous imagery. Like an acid trip. I'm guessing.

Shawna & Shannon, the film definately doesn't live up to the book (loved loved loved the book), but it's still a good film. The film takes the happenings in the book and rearranges them somewhat, as well as leaving out some details, but it keeps enough so that I wasn't too disappointed.

my new Netflix movie arrived yesterday and I'm dying to watch it, but I haven't had time.

Anybody seen "The Time Traveler's Wife" yet?

As a guy, I didn't expect to like it. But I watched it for Rachel McAdams. :) I ended up really liking it! It was great! I give it an 8 or 9 out of 10

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhere In Time: somewhere I lost my time watching this crapola. Oh, man, you couldn't come up with something more trite and contrived from a beginner's screen-writing class. It is baffling how a movie this stupid got the recognition it got.

The Watcher: another complete waste of celluloid. The magnitude of this crap goes beyond what even nicolas coppola/"cage" would ever attempt, it was that bad. Actually, his presence could probably make it 100 times better into mediocre.

Somewhere In Time: somewhere I lost my time watching this crapola. Oh, man, you couldn't come up with something more trite and contrived from a beginner's screen-writing class. It is baffling how a movie this stupid got the recognition it got.

Complete and utter horsecrap...and I freaking love that movie. I have a barbed wire cage around the empty spot where my cold, dead heart used to reside...and I freaking love that movie. Dude, he loved her so much he went back in time to find her. I mean, &^%$, what more do you want?

Dude, he loved her so much he went back in time to find her. I mean, &^%$, what more do you want?

I'm right there with you, sister. I love that movie, too... I think you need to have a cold, dead heart to not like it. :beatnik: ;)

For my part, I tried to (finally) watch "Time Traveler's Wife" last night. It was so bad I couldn't even make it to the end. And since I have the book waiting to be read, and Shannon said it's sooo much better than the movie, I figured instead of watching that awful movie, I'd wait and find out the end when I read the book.

Thank goodness that video was part of my free Netflix.

I was telling my mom just yesterday about you mentioning this movie and she remarked that she didn't know squat about the book and hated the movie. The film left out so much of the necessary story there was nothing left.

The last movie I Netflixed was An Education. I loved it. I don't want to give away details, but for such a touchy subject the film didn't point fingers to a clearly wrong or right party.

Up next for me is The Lovely Bones.

I'm the opposite. I'm very sensitive to the ideas of longing, unrequited love, sacrifice, and obsession. I tried to like this movie, I really did, but it just couldn't pass the muster when compared to the junk I am used to (to name a few):

Orphee

Cyrano De Bergerac (Jose Ferrer version)

Ballada O Soldate

Solyaris and Solaris

Cet Obscur Objet Du Desir

A Little Romance

Gregory's Girl

The Year My Voice Broke and Flirting

The Phantom Of The Opera (Joel Schumacher version of the musical)

Before Sunrise and Before Sunset

Il Mare

Hana To Arisu

I gotta believe in the idea they represent through the mise-en-scene and how things are staged... i.e., the costumes and settings, the sound and score, and acting. In short, I was expecting a lot from this movie - and it didn't deliver on all accounts. You know? I even felt sad for "Edgar," the computer, in Electric Dreams!

Damn, I get choked up whenever I think of that electronic rascal - all he ever wanted was to be accepted and to be loved :puppyeyes: