Rate the Last Movie You've Seen

Farin

We took the kiddo to see "How To Train Your Dragon" last weekend. We saw it in 3D and it was very beautifully done. It was a nice adventure story about a viking boy who doesn't fit in, and despite his culture's tradition of being dragon hunters, he befriends one after wounding it. It is rated PG, but IMO, there was nothing objectionable for the younger set (my kiddo is 6). 8/10

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Percy Jackson and the Olympians: Lightning Thief.

Interesting twist on modern society being incorporated with Greek Mythology. Some parts could've been directed / written a little better, but the all star cast held the plot together well, even though it drifted away from the book. This would've been my favorite movie as a kid, but it still held up well for me as an adult. 8/10

Clint Eastwood's standard vehicle, Gran Torino.

I love Eastwood and respect his vision along with all his accomplishments, but can you say "formula?" With the wonderful exceptions of Play Misty For Me, Bronco Billy and Million Dollar Baby, while watching this unevenly (supporting) acted movie I kept thinking, haven't I seen this before? This could have been titled "Dirty Harry, Forced Retirement" or "For A Fistful Of Forgiven" or "Carotid Kid VIII"

6/10

"The Blind Side." I think Sandra Bullock deserved the Oscar for that, she did really well.

Jeff really liked the movie, even though there was no sci-fi trickery, blood, violence, gore, or high speed car chases. He managed to stay awake for the whole movie, which says a lot about how good of a movie it is. :grin:

8.5/10 Most of the acting outside of the lead roles was pretty abysmal.

Clint Eastwood's standard vehicle, Gran Torino.

I love Eastwood and respect his vision along with all his accomplishments, but can you say "formula?" With the wonderful exceptions of Play Misty For Me, Bronco Billy and Million Dollar Baby, while watching this unevenly (supporting) acted movie I kept thinking, haven't I seen this before? This could have been titled "Dirty Harry, Forced Retirement" or "For A Fistful Of Forgiven" or "Carotid Kid VIII"

6/10

I enjoyed it and thought it touched on the topics of adapting to new diversity well; with that said, I still thought the film was overrated and he was a bit too grumpy to my liking and the end was sort of rushed.

I saw "The Blind Side" this weekend as well. It was syrupy, but it was a well done movie. It focused on Leigh Anne Tuohy, who takes in a homeless boy that attends her kids' private school and eventually her family adopts him. He goes on to become a successful football player in the NFL.

Sandra Bullock was good, pretty much disappeared into the role. I'll give it a 7/10.

• 1 month later...

Marley and Me ~ .275 out of 5

What a steaming pile of dung. Unlikeable characters, paint by the numbers "situations" intended to evoke sympathy from the audience for said unlikeable characters, and a treacly ending that only succeeded in me wanting to roundhouse kick every person involved in making such a steaming pile of dung. Eff that dog.

:laughing: Why would you even watch that in the first place? It had all the signs of being the steaming pile of dung you described.

The last film I watched was Mullholland Drive. I'll rate it when I figure out what in the f*** it was about. Which means I probably will not rate it. Enjoyed it, though, in an odd way. And at the same time, it pissed me off. Damn you, David Lynch.

Over my vacation, I saw "Shrek: The Final Chapter" and "Marmaduke". What do you want...we were with a 6 year old that we couldn't leave at home. I would give Shrek 6/10 and Marmaduke 4/10. Hubby and I need to rent some grown-up movies over the next coming weeks!

We watched Avatar last night and we both liked it ok. Not the best movie I've seen but not the worst either.

As a rule I love that kinda thing, but for some reason I kept putting that one off.

The graphics were awesome, but the storyline was pretty predictable. Why do they always have to wait till the last moment to save the day :laughing: