Rate the Last Movie You've Seen

Farin

The Princess and the Frog - 9.5 out of 10

Really cute story and fantastic music. Extra Peach points because it was set in New Orleans (which I visited this past June) and the actress who did the voice of Tiana (Anika Noni Rose) is from Bloomfield, CT (which is where I grew up).

Alvin and the Chipmunks 2: The Squeakquel - 7.5 out of 10

Meh. The Peachlette loved it and I suppose that's what matters. The best thing to come out of it was for me was the adorable Zachary Levi. I think I'm going to start watching Chuck just for him. He's my new nerd crush.

The Mist - 8 out of 10

We caught this on cable and it was so much better than I thought it would be. I read the Stephen King novella it was based on so I had an idea of what was going on. The ending was completely different than the novella and wicked awesome. The creepy crawlies were ridiculous but it was really about the human dynamic when people are grouped together in a crisis situation.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alvin and the Chipmunks 2: The Squeakquel -

I really want to lambaste you for seeing a movie that actually has the "word" Squeakquel in its title, but I know you's just being a good mom. :D

The best thing to come out of it was for me was the adorable Zachary Levi. I think I'm going to start watching Chuck just for him. He's my new nerd crush.

I agree. He is cute :googly:

I saw "The Princess and The Frog" over the holidays as well. Very well done movie for the kids that gives a nice message to girls. Ray the cajun firefly was just adorable! 9/10

We also watched "Up" again two nights ago. Amazing animation, original and engaging story and very uplifting at the end. 9.5/10.

I am thinking of taking the kid to see the chipmunks movie too, but we'll see. "Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs" comes out on DVD tomorrow, so maybe she'll be satisfied with that and I won't have to suffer through those rodents!

Did anyone see "Fantastic Mr. Fox?" That looked interesting and I read good things about it, but will it engage my kid?

"The Good German"

It is like some producers in Hollywood got together and said, "We haven't tried to modernize the Humphrey Bogart portfolio for awhile. Let's get a contemporary box-office drawing tough-guy male lead (George Clooney??) and make a B&W film noir-ified, convoluted, difficult to follow mystery, copying the Bogart style."

Not a great try, guys. Oh BTW, bad casting of Clooney was mullified somewhat by the even worse casting of Tobey Maguire - like you couldn't find anyone better for that role?

4/10

• 3 weeks later...

I saw Avatar, and to be honest didn't think it lived up to the hype. Yes it was good, but it wasn't the best movie ever, just solid. I'd give it 7/10 though I probably wouldn't watch it again.

I watched a movie called Bella the other day, not sure if anyone else would have seen it, but I'd definitely recommend it. Just a lovely movie, with great pacing about the impact strangers can have on each others lives. 9/10

• 2 weeks later...

If you like guitars and great players, then rent It Might Get Loud. Jimmy Page, The Edge and Jack White sit around on a sound stage, talking, jamming and exchanging playing tips. There are great old clips and it's great to see these three interact. Definitely worth the rental fee.

I just saw Boy A. It's a film about a guy who went to jail as a kid for murder (but did he do it? oooh) and has just been released and is getting on with life under a new name only to have his past keep coming back to him.

I'll give it a 6/10 though i'm not happy about it. It got off to a great start, with some fantastic storytelling. I really loved the way the editing is slow allowing for this kind of honest feel to the film and some awesome awkward moments. It had all the potential to be a 10 out of 10 if it wasn't for too much ambiguity and an ending which could have been really strong, but wasn't because I was still left confused over all the ambiguous stuff. I would still recommend it though!

...but maybe that's just coz I was totally crushing on the lead actor the entire time :D

La Vita è Bella (Life is Beautiful)- 10/10

Such a beautiful movie, sad and funny at the same time and just fantastic. I watched it in English, but if you can get a hold of it in Italian with subtitles I would recommend it as some of the Italian accents on the dubbed version are terrible and the dubbing has a bit of an old-kungfu movie vibe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

La Vita è Bella (Life is Beautiful)- 10/10

Such a beautiful movie, sad and funny at the same time and just fantastic. I watched it in English, but if you can get a hold of it in Italian with subtitles I would recommend it as some of the Italian accents on the dubbed version are terrible and the dubbing has a bit of an old-kungfu movie vibe.

Good movie. And English dubbing should be banned, the subtitles are less distracting than the incongruities. I know people who won't watch a movie with subtitles but they don't take forever to read and besides facial expressions and tone of voice communicate as much as the words themselves, imo.

Speaking of which last movie I saw The Chaser (2008) (South Korean w/subtitles)

An uncompromising, realistic and tense crime thriller that Warner Bros., who have bought the rights, will most likely remake into a bloated, sensational, special effects-laden sub-standard action movie with a happy ending where everyone lives. (Though considering that Scorcese remade Infernal Affairs into The Departed which was pretty much on par with the original, there is some hope.)

Before that happens however I would recommend seeing the original. It follows an ex-detective turned pimp, Eom Joong-ho, who becomes involved in the hunt for a sociopathic serial killer when he realizes the killer has taken some of his girls who still owe him money. While tracking the last girl to be taken, he accidently runs into the killer and they’re both arrested. Notwithstanding a confession and the suspect’s obvious mental instability the police are unable to prosecute him as there’s no real evidence against him. There aren’t any traditional heroes in the movie; everyone is to some degree corrupt. Though Joong-ho is trying to save his girl he’s more interested in vengeance than justice.

It is very violent but not in the way Hollywood movies are: hyperactive, severely edited, flashy and/or needlessly gory. Instead it’s even more brutal because the violence is shown as real, matter-of-fact and part of the story instead of just embellishment. The acting is natural. The characters avoid being stereotypical but are instead detailed and believable. The story is well told and maintains suspense from beginning to end. 8.5/10

• 2 weeks later...