Rate the Last Movie You've Seen

Farin

I rented "the Taking of Pelham 1, 2, 3" the other night, and started watching it thinking I'd flip back and forth from that to So You Think You Can Dance. It was so good I wound up skipping Dance altogether.

9/10 John Travolta plays a good badass.

I loved it....for the first hour and a half....but the ending was kind of far-fetched, dontcha think?

:afro: :afro: :afro: :thumbsup: :thumbsdown:

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, the endings of those sorts of movies always are, though. Up until Washington confronted Travolta on the overpass, it was pretty good and credible. I actually turned it off before it was all the way over, because I knew how it would end anyway. Still, all the way up to that, it was good. :cool:

I've been off work sick for 3 weeks, so have had plenty time to kill.

The good: Moon, The brotherhood of the wolf, Inglorious Basterds, Blood: the last vampire, Strictly sexual

The mediocre: Pandorum, Jennifer's body, How to lose friends and alienate people

The ugly: Infestation, Headspace, Two lovers, Paradise lost

Yesterday saw Julie and Julia at the theatre. It stars Meryl Streep, who continues to impress me with her range of characterizations and ability to add all those subtle human nuances that define her characters. It would be very easy to overplay Julia Child, a character in her own right (think Dan Aykroyd, whose classic SNL Child parody finds its way into this movie.) But like the true craftsperson that she is, Streep inbues Julia Child with a naturalness and warmth that literally helps to explain to the viewer how this freakish woman would one day become a much loved icon to millions of men and women, launching the careers of hundreds, if not thousands, of chefs.

Amy Adams, an actress just starting to build her resume of characters in impressive fashion as well, plays Julie Powell, a NYC office worker who is frustrated to bust out and become the something more she has inside. Her character is no less interesting for its normalcy against Child's eccentricity. As the movie progresses, young Julie grows and stretches, becoming the latest to benefit from the kitchen magic that is extended by Julia Child.

Julie and Julia is a "feel good" (also a taste good!) movie that follows, in a very original style, the pattern of questioning, struggling and overcoming in order to advance a dream not fleshed out initially, but one that solidifies along the journey - like a fine souffle. I came away with that renewed sense of encouragement felt while watching movies in the genre of hope and determination, that always seem to generate renewal inside me.

For those looking for a dream-to-follow pick-me-up this would be a great movie with which to spend a couple hours. 8.5/10

I really want to see that ^^ . I saw an interview with Streep where she stated she's been "doing" a Julia Child imitation for years, so the makers of the film called her to finally use it. ;)

We saw Pirate Radio .... it was funny. I'm sure it wasn't true to the facts, and actually the whole Pirate Radio thing was just the backdrop for some silliness, but 'twas funny just the same. 8/10. (Obviously, nice soundtrack)

I watched the new version this evening of:

"The Day the Earth Stood Still."

I thought it was pretty good but thought the automaton should have been the center of the movie instead of such a short part of it.

Also, the ending left me feeling short-changed.

Overall, though, many interesting scientific theories and realizations!

The automaton (GORT) kicked butt and Keanu Reeves played the part of the alien ("your planet?") to a tee! I liked the meeting in McDonald's...lol

7/10

• 4 weeks later...

I saw the new Sherlock Holmes movie yesterday. Robert Downey's portrayal of Holmes is radically different from the Basil Rathbone and Jeremy Brett characterizations. Not having read the Conan Doyle books, I can't say which portrayal is the most faithful to Conan Doyle's character.

The movie, though a little slow during the middle, is very good. I'm not a Jude Law fan, but his Dr. Watson is excellent and is almost Holmes' equal in deduction and self defense.

Robert Downey is at his quirky and ironic best as

Sherlock Holmes. His English accent strays a little bit from time to time, but this certainly doesn't affect the quality of the film. His Holmes is eccentric and spends his time between cases engaging in non-professional boxing matches (on which he places bets) or testing the efficacy of various chemicals and potions on his dog.

All in all, a very enjoyable movie.

7.5/10

I saw the new Sherlock Holmes movie yesterday. Robert Downey's portrayal of Holmes is radically different from the Basil Rathbone and Jeremy Brett characterizations. Not having read the Conan Doyle books, I can't say which portrayal is the most faithful to Conan Doyle's character.

This movie was a lot more true to Conan-Doyle's book. Holmes was a forgetful slob who also happened to be an incredible detective. Basil Rathbone's character was quite different from the books.