Rate the Last Movie You've Seen

Farin

A 30 year old movie called "The Deer Hunter"

Touching story of a Vietnam War veteran's adaption to reality after the war and struggle with his involvement in friendships and how much his life has changed.

1st hour (wedding) - 7.5

2nd hour (war) - 9.5

3rd hour (return home) - 9/10

Overall - 8.7 / 10

This film won about a zillion Academy awards when it was relelased more than 30 years ago .... and at that time it wasn't "touching" at all. It was awful, and hit too close to home (the end of the Vietnam War wasn't too many years earlier). It prompted more than one suicide by Russian Roulette, including a close friend of mine. But yes, it's a great film, 9.5/10 :P

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This film won about a zillion Academy awards when it was relelased more than 30 years ago .... and at that time it wasn't "touching" at all. It was awful, and hit too close to home (the end of the Vietnam War wasn't too many years earlier). It prompted more than one suicide by Russian Roulette, including a close friend of mine. But yes, it's a great film, 9.5/10 :P

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. :(

I took a few points off because it had a lot of unnecessary scenes with no dialogue and the movie was already twice as long as standard movies. The editors could've removed around 30 minutes worth of footage and still kept the storyline intact.

It was a very good movie but very, very depressing.

I also remember the string of suicides that came after that movie was released. It was sad and if it happened these days I'm sure someone would have a go at suing the movie company :P

this movie was discussed quite controversially even during the filming, mostly because of Cruise

the plot is supposed to be fairly accurate though (I haven't seen it yet)

there are tons of books and (TV)films about it, at least in German, a quick search found a docu-drama called "The Officer's Hour" ("Die Stunde der Offiziere") and a film called "Stauffenberg" (both 2004, at the 60th anniversary of the 20th july plot)

I don't know how good possible english dubbed versions are though :P

on a similar theme, a movie about another very important resistance movement, the White Rose is called Sophie Scholl - The Final Days

a well made one :thumbsup:

I wish I could get a dvd copy of Rosa Luxemburg :beatnik:

The Hangover - Not one solid laugh from either of us the entire time, but everybody else seemed to think it was hysterical. Predictable script and unexplained plot holes.

6.67 / 10

I wanted to see Public Enemies, but there was a 2 hour wait.

We're watching it on DH's PC right now and he is laughing his a** off but I'm not paying much attention :P

Public Enemies is unexpectedly ordinary. Writer/Director Michael Mann's story is missing focus and passion.

You can usually count on Johnny Depp to bring something special to a character, but his John Dillinger is uninspired. Christian Bale is only a touch more interesting as G-Man Melvin Purvis.

The Dillinger/Billie Frechette (Marion Cotillard) romance starts out interesting, but, in the end, doesn't ring true.

There are plenty of very good supporting actors (Billy Cruddup as J. Edgar Hoover, Giovanni Ribisi as Alvin Karpis, etc.), but they are just pasted into an assortment of events, historically accurate, apocryphal or completely invented. The movie employs lots of poetic license, except there's no real poetry. 7/10

Let The Right One In (2008)

Swedish film (with English subtitles) that centers around the relationship a lonely, bullied 12-year old boy, Oskar, develops with a very old vampire child, Eli, who moves in next door.

The movie is beautifully shot in the dead of winter; the tone is bleak and grim and there is a sense of quietness throughout that makes the violent scenes much more shocking. While it avoids the typical vampire movie aspects, the violence and horror is centered around Eli's struggle to survive and Oskar's struggle to overcome the kids who torment him at school and the way they help each other do that.

The two lead actors do a great job portraying their morally complex and conflicted characters, who are neither all bad or all innocent.

Effectively shocking at times and very absorbing throughout.

8/10

Let The Right One In (2008)

Swedish film (with English subtitles) that centers around the relationship a lonely, bullied 12-year old boy, Oskar, develops with a very old vampire child, Eli, who moves in next door.

The movie is beautifully shot in the dead of winter; the tone is bleak and grim and there is a sense of quietness throughout that makes the violent scenes much more shocking. While it avoids the typical vampire movie aspects, the violence and horror is centered around Eli's struggle to survive and Oskar's struggle to overcome the kids who torment him at school and the way they help each other do that.

The two lead actors do a great job portraying their morally complex and conflicted characters, who are neither all bad or all innocent.

Effectively shocking at times and very absorbing throughout.

8/10

I love it! I am especially happy with the decapitating and devouring, I thought it was a very romantic gesture <3 (remember that, folks?)

24 Hour Party People

Never wanted to meet the Mondays in person and this is why.

You mean you didn't approve of Shaun holding his band's master tapes hostage in exchange for heroin money even though he is "on par with W.B. Yeats as a poet"? :P

Love that film, especially Coogan's performance: "You know broccoli?... It's a little known fact that it was invented by Cubby Broccoli, the producer of the James Bond films."

Public Enemies is unexpectedly ordinary. Writer/Director Michael Mann's story is missing focus and passion.

You can usually count on Johnny Depp to bring something special to a character, but his John Dillinger is uninspired. Christian Bale is only a touch more interesting as G-Man Melvin Purvis.

The Dillinger/Billie Frechette (Marion Cotillard) romance starts out interesting, but, in the end, doesn't ring true.

There are plenty of very good supporting actors (Billy Cruddup as J. Edgar Hoover, Giovanni Ribisi as Alvin Karpis, etc.), but they are just pasted into an assortment of events, historically accurate, apocryphal or completely invented. The movie employs lots of poetic license, except there's no real poetry. 7/10

Hello Tybalt! It's always nice when you drop in genrally with a spot on remark.

You mean you didn't approve of Shaun holding his band's master tapes hostage in exchange for heroin money even though he is "on par with W.B. Yeats as a poet"? :P

Oh no, that's fine - I disapprove of the barbaric pigeon-killing!

"good, good, good, good, double good?"

Yeah the rooftop pigeon massacre was going a bit far even for the Ryder brothers. But "... they're are those who say their pests... rats with wings." :P

Agreed about Pills N Thrills... though its amazing they managed to accomplish anything in life, let alone a great album.

" Pie Hard " : Sting and David Bowie : Though in very limited release , this is an excellent film about a disgruntled cop who is kicked off the force for his bad attitude and tries to make a living as a baker . At first , he is nearly bankrupted by the neighboring mafia of competing bakeries due to the success of his blueberry pies , but then he gets his revenge -big time - and those smarty bakers are put in their places . Look for cameos by Brooke Shields ( nude again , but who cares now ) , Kevin Costner as Gus, the flour boy , Tom Cruise as a Nazi , Predator , a wily old fisherman from ' Deadliest Catch' - and nude , Goldie Hawn as a bubbly and loveable yet suicidal transvestite on heroin (and partially nude) , and some creative use of stock film showing Abe Vigoda ( nude but off camera ) as ' the Pie God ' . 9/10