Rate the Last Movie You've Seen

Farin

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it was supposed to be funny , but it had a few 'humorous ' moments as Ichibod , the coward , did some goofy things . I like Tim Burton movies , but I really hoped too much for this one , I guess .

In the original tale , Ichibod Crane disappears and is presumed killed by the horseman , though that may not satisfy a Hollywood ending , for sure . Still , I think a better compromise could have been found .

That would have been a better ending!

The Hangover - Not one solid laugh from either of us the entire time, but everybody else seemed to think it was hysterical. Predictable script and unexplained plot holes.

6.67 / 10

I wanted to see Public Enemies, but there was a 2 hour wait.

The Hangover - Not one solid laugh from either of us the entire time, but everybody else seemed to think it was hysterical. Predictable script and unexplained plot holes.

6.67 / 10

I wanted to see Public Enemies, but there was a 2 hour wait.

I was a little disappointed in the Hangover as well. Maybe I was expecting too much since everyone I knew who saw it said it was so funny.

I saw Public Enemies last night. Not the typical exciting, fun, over-the-top action film you might expect from the material, profiling such a charismatic figure. It's serious, realistic and factual. I think people might be disappointed it doesn't romanticize the story of John Dillinger as much as it could have, but I didn't mind it taking a different approach and for the most part expected it from Michael Mann.

7/10

Just be prepared, Seek... I was wholly unprepared. Borat is tame by Bruno standards. In fact, the same day we had seen that movie, I walked by a movie theatre at another mall and they had a "warning" sign out about the content of Bruno. I guess they'd been getting complaints... It is a really, really funny movie, though!

The Lost Weekend: Billy Wilder's 1945 movie starring Ray Miland as a struggling alcoholic. It is a brutally honest and well acted portrayal, although a bit dated in parts (the happy subservient African American in the restroom, all the banks being closed on Yom Kippur). 4/5

Valkyries was very good. I think that the plot could have been developed in much more detail, as I personally knew nothing about the subject going in, and would have enjoyed learning more. I don't know how closely it followed the real life events that it is supposedly based on but the story was captivating. A bit slow in parts, but I was actually able to forget I was watching Tom Cruise, so that made the acting huge in my book. 8/10.

I now want to find a good book to read, both on these events in particular and the subject in general.

Valkyries was very good. I think that the plot could have been developed in much more detail, as I personally knew nothing about the subject going in, and would have enjoyed learning more. I don't know how closely it followed the real life events that it is supposedly based on but the story was captivating. A bit slow in parts, but I was actually able to forget I was watching Tom Cruise, so that made the acting huge in my book. 8/10.

I now want to find a good book to read, both on these events in particular and the subject in general.

this movie was discussed quite controversially even during the filming, mostly because of Cruise

the plot is supposed to be fairly accurate though (I haven't seen it yet)

there are tons of books and (TV)films about it, at least in German, a quick search found a docu-drama called "The Officer's Hour" ("Die Stunde der Offiziere") and a film called "Stauffenberg" (both 2004, at the 60th anniversary of the 20th july plot)

I don't know how good possible english dubbed versions are though :P

on a similar theme, a movie about another very important resistance movement, the White Rose is called Sophie Scholl - The Final Days

a well made one :thumbsup:

A 30 year old movie called "The Deer Hunter"

Touching story of a Vietnam War veteran's adaption to reality after the war and struggle with his involvement in friendships and how much his life has changed.

1st hour (wedding) - 7.5

2nd hour (war) - 9.5

3rd hour (return home) - 9/10

Overall - 8.7 / 10

^ that was remade this year, wasn't it?

I liked the version with Matthau too :)

yesterday, I watched "The Edukators"

a trio of anti-capitalist friends break into rich people's houses, but instead of stealing anything, they move around the furniture, cause other havoc and leave messages like "you have too much money" or "Die fetten Jahre sind vorbei" ("the years of plenty are over", the German movie title)

...until one time the owner of the house returns unexpectedly, and they decide to kidnap him

watch the trailer

pretty good film, and it gets further +points, because Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah" is played almost in its entire length near the end. :)

8/10