Rate the Last Movie You've Seen

Farin

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ that's the gist of it, yes

Reno plays the hitman whose only friend is a houseplant, Portman (who's some 13 years old in that time) plays a little neighbour girl whose entire family was murdered in their home by a corrupt policeman (Oldman) because of drugs... she only survives because when she passes her door she pretends to belong to Reno who takes her in. When she notices what his profession is she wants to learn how to kill in order to revenge her family - in turn she keeps Reno company, teaches him to read and write...

The film is mostly about the relationship between the two (pretty violent in parts though)

here's a short scene where he teaches her to be a sniper

Just finished seeing Slumdog Millionaire. This movie sucked; it was almost as bad as Cidade De Deus. ...

Whoa! Cidade De Deus is a film ahead of its time. Co-directors, Fernando Meirelles and Kátia Lund implemented their vision through innovative camera techniques never seen before e.g. quick cuts through multiple angles of the same scene (now considered an action standard staple,) thought provoking story-telling e.g. trailing characters, leaving the one behind to intertwine plotline to the next. Perhaps if you knew Rio, you would understand that this was not even close to a fictional story, as Tarantino's violent fantasies are, whose work most critics hail as innovative. Much more difficult than creating fictionalized scenarios, to narrate a story of pressing reality through innovation is an art, expressed profoundly in Cidade De Deus; and is most likely why it won an Oscar.

There was little in Cidade De Deus which I hadn't seen before in other cosmetisised poverty flicks. It was like one long MTV Sports take mingled with colourful violence and Pop music pasted onto it. It was as if the cinematographer and editor were high on ritalin pixie sticks when they were putting that thing together. This movie was about as "realistic" in its portrayal of poverty and violence in Brasilian favelas as Scarface was "realistic" in its portrayal/depiction of Irish (or Cuban) kingpins in New York (or Miami), except the latter were way better and truly iconic in their style (i.e., 30s Gangster films and De Palma's slick and glossy violence).

Not sure. She is very restless in movie theaters, so I wonder how much she actually pays attention to. She did remember Kevin the bird the next day, so I'm assuming that she did like it. She was not scared at all by the dogs.

... This movie was about as "realistic" in its portrayal of poverty and violence in Brasilian favelas as Scarface was "realistic" in its portrayal/depiction of Irish (or Cuban) kingpins in New York (or Miami)...

Ahhh. Well, I suppose your experiences in and around Rio's (and other Brazilian cities') favelas are different than those of mine. I found the movie "City of God" to be a very accurate interpretation of an extremely complex and many times hopelessly cyclical society within a society.

Ahhh. Well, I suppose your experiences in and around Rio's (and other Brazilian cities') favelas are different than those of mine. I found the movie "City of God" to be a very accurate interpretation of an extremely complex and many times hopelessly cyclical society within a society.

I have no more experience in living in a favela than I do living near Coney Island. Cidade De Deus is as much an accurate interpretation of real people's lives there as The Warriors depicts the live's of real New York gangs :beatnik: If I wanted to watch a good Brasilian film, I'd look no further than Nelson Pereira Dos Santos's Vidas Secas and Como Era Gostoso O Meu Frances (one of my all-time favourites) or Carlos Diegues's Xica Da Silva and Bye Bye, Brasil. They make Mireille's filmic ramblings look like the MTV-styled poppycock that they are.

I liked it too , Seeker- and wanted to really like it . The atmosphere , sets , cast and costumes were great and the characters , pretty good and the story moved along as a potentially great ghost story for most of it . However , were you satisfied with the rather simplistic fairy-tale climax and ending -after all that work ? :)

I don't think it was supposed to be funny , but it had a few 'humorous ' moments as Ichibod , the coward , did some goofy things . I like Tim Burton movies , but I really hoped too much for this one , I guess .

In the original tale , Ichibod Crane disappears and is presumed killed by the horseman , though that may not satisfy a Hollywood ending , for sure . Still , I think a better compromise could have been found .