Rate the Last Movie You've Seen

Farin

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to show off my amazing psychic abilities : I will rate the next movie to be listed here as an 8.5 /10 . The story was well written , but the acting let it down in a number of places . As well , the CGI , while well done , tended to overwhelm the picture and left the viewer only somewhat satisfied.

Sorry to disappoint, Kevin, but this movie's getting a 9/10. I saw the new Star Trek last night. It's the shot in the arm that the series needs. Exciting, clever, and respectful of the "old" fans. Chris Pine ain't bad to look at either..... :googly: :googly:

Edited by Guest

I'm with Jenny on the new Star Trek. Just saw it tonight... I was never a follower of the series, but my brother was addicted to it when we were young, and I have seen most of the episodes in reruns. So most of it made sense to me. But the action, comedy and acting were all so good I was transfixed.

alas, I was hoping to see a tribble. *sigh* ;)

I'll look for it when I go see it again. They are showing it in IMAX not too far from me, so I've gotta see it in IMAX.

Have you seen those message boards on IMDb? I was cracking up. One of the busiest ones on the Star Trek page was "Kirk vs. Spock, who's hotter?" The next busiest was about the romance....don't know if I should say in case someone who want to see it hasn't seen it, but yeah, it was a little weird to me, too. I'm too familiar with the characters in TOS to be comfortable with that.

You're better off looking for it when it is available on DVD, that way you can rent or buy it and just freeze-frame that particular spot.

That movie was pretty flashy, so something like that could be pretty hard to notice in a short amount of time.

I saw the new Star Trek movie last night and was blown away. The script remained largely faithful to the Star Trek canon while introducing some interesting new plot twists. The casting was, by and large, inspired. I was particularly impressed by Zachary Quinto as Spock and Karl Urban's portrayal of Dr. Leonard McCoy.

The film had plenty of action, stellar special effects and an interesting plot, so it should appeal to trekkies and non-trekkies alike.

I believe that this film will reinvigorate the franchise and make people forget about the dreadful "Enterprise" television series.

9.5/10

I just got back from seeing Observe & Report.

I liked it better the first time I saw it.. when it was called Paul Blart: Mall Cop.

Even though they use the F*bomb no less than 100 times and it features a lot of male nudity, O&R actually had some funny parts in it, unlike Paul Blart, but the latter movie focused more on crime and action.

7.5 / 10

"Perfume: The Story of a Murderer"

after the bestselling novel by Patrick Süskind.

The story of a young man in 18th century France, who kills the most beautiful women in order to preserve their perfect scent and ultimately create the perfect perfume.

outstanding cinematography in this one, but that's also necessary, since you can't really smell pictures very well ;)

I was a bit surprised when I read in wikipedia: "it was deemed unmarketable for American audiences and released in a very limited number of theaters in North America", but I guess the (almost) execution scene at the film's climax might have something to do with this :crazy:

8/10

when a friend of mine watched Taxi Driver for the first time he didn't like it either - but that was because he expected something like Lethal Weapon or Die Hard... :P

I also watched "Everything is Illuminated" yesterday

after a novel by Jonathan Safran Foer, who's played by Elijah Wood

about a young American Jew who goes to the Ukraine to try to find the woman who saved his grandfathers from the Nazis in WWII

20% funny, 40% roadtrip, 40% melancholy

8.5/10

I'm not knocking DeNiro's performance - he was really good and creepy. The movie just moved so damn slow. I've gotta say, though, when the camera was panning all the dead bodies with heads blown off and various body parts splattered around, and then the harp music began, I about laughed out loud. It was so very out of place.

DeNiro was pretty hot back in the day. :googly: I don't remember him being so good looking.