Rate the Last Movie You've Seen

Farin

I liked Benjamin Button better the first time I saw it, when it was called "Forrest Gump".

Forrest Dump is one of the most overrated movies ever made. I'm shocked this was directed by the same guy who did Back To The Future. This movie is a poor-man's Being There and Bad Boy Bubby, except it's retarded :beatnik:

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2001: A Space Odyssey

I think I'll give this one a 10/10

not only because of the cinematography, but also because of the music - or should I say lack thereof... I don't think there's any (non-independant) feature film that uses silence in such a way as Kubrick did it here...

:thumbsup:

2001: A Space Odyssey

I think I'll give this one a 10/10

not only because of the cinematography, but also because of the music - or should I say lack thereof... I don't think there's any (non-independant) feature film that uses silence in such a way as Kubrick did it here...

:thumbsup:

"Lack of music"? Huh? 2001 has one of the most famous scores in film history. It's what introduced "Thus Spake Zarathustra" into the pop cultural psyche.

http://www.amazon.com/2001-Odyssey-Original-Picture-Soundtrack/dp/B0000033WB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1236463056&sr=1-1

that's quite obvious, yes

also the Danube-Waltz by Strauss (not Richard, the other one) is used

and I didn't mean a total lack of music, I meant the notable lack of music in many scenes of the film... you can't tell me you haven't noticed that, combined with the very spare dialogs?

Ah, then I'd say it's has to do the use of silence rather than a lack of music because the music is memorable. Silence is notable because we're used to getting an overload of music dished out throughout the entirety of most movies. Most directors can't direct/compose a good scene, so they use filler music to help things move along. Kubrick's mise-en-scene conveyed what was on his mind almost perfectly that he didn't need to insert corny bits of dialogue and paste tacky music to cover any shortcomings. Coincidentally, Tarkovsky was also able to pull this off in his film Solaris a few years later (he used his score very sparsely... and wisely) :beatnik:

Undoubtedly, the musical score in Stanley Kubrick's masterpiece; 2001: A Space Odyssey, is nothing short of true magnificence combined with the genius of proper timing.

In all the movies I've seen, nothing touched me like when the ape/man realized a bone could crush another's skull whilst Thus Spake Zarathustra built up to a fabulous conclusion and blends seamlessly to Johann Strauss II's Blue Dunărea.

Remarkable!

Ah, then I'd say it's has to do the use of silence rather than a lack of music because the music is memorable. Silence is notable because we're used to getting an overload of music dished out throughout the entirety of most movies. Most directors can't direct/compose a good scene, so they use filler music to help things move along. Kubrick's mise-en-scene conveyed what was on his mind almost perfectly that he didn't need to insert corny bits of dialogue and paste tacky music to cover any shortcomings.

yes, that's what I tried to say :D :thumbsup:

Iron Man: 8/10. I liked it more than I thought I would, mostly because of Robert Downey, Jr. He was the perfect person to play Tony Stark.

Hancock: 6/10, but mostly because I only watched bits and pieces of it. Need to see it again. I liked Jason Bateman's character a lot.

Changeling gets a 9/10 from me. The best film I've seen in a long long time. It's an Eastwood film, the true story was shocking, the acting was good (Angelina Jolie was very good, and I don't much care for her normally), and the set decoration was really wonderful. You generally expect an Eastwood film to be high quality, and this one really is. I think it's an excellent film.

cool, since it's sitting on my coffee table awaiting time for me to view it. ;)

I did sit through Australia... it started out good, and then dragged and dragged and dragged. They'd have done well to cut about an hour out of it. The kid in it is super adorable, and it was because of him - not the length of the film - that I cried twice. So don't watch this flick unless you're in for a weepy.

7/10 just because it was too friggin' long.

Just watched "The Changeling." Excellent flick! However... it caused me to wonder... if they had a photo of the real kid the whole time, why didn't anybody ever compare it to the fake kid? She must have had a photograph of her real son, too.

9/10 Angelina was very understated and it was a great performance.

I know I wondered the same thing ... but then look how long it took her to drag the teacher (and how many others) to say they didn't recognize the "new" kid. I'd really like to know if a book was written about this, and read it. I'm sure there was some license taken for the film.

Yep Shannon, right after I posted that I went to wiki and imdb, and read those newspaper stories, along with Christine Collins' personal letters that were printed in the Los Angeles Daily Mirror. Very interesting, and even weirder than the story portrayed in the film.