Rate the Last Movie You've Seen

Farin

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GRAN TORINO

The best Clint Eastwood film in 10 years since True Crimes, in my opinion.

This is a fabulous film, once again Clint's experience as both an actor and director shine through with excellent character development and with unpredictable plot turns right up to the very end.

Clint manages to take an average story and make it a magnificent experience though identifiable characters and a unique perspective of directions.

This is the highest grossing film of Clints career, and he has said this is to be his last acting role.

Hotel Rwanda 9/10

after a true story, it's something like a Schindler's List set in 1994 Rwanda.

with Don Cheadle playing the manager of a 4 Star Hotel that gives refuge to, and ultimately saved 1200 Tutsi (and moderate Hutu) from the genocide.

the only difference to Schindler's List might be that it's not good (Allies) vs bad (Nazis), but

bad vs very bad vs VERY bad vs impotent :crazy:

with Don Cheadle, Nick Nolte, Joaquin Pheonix, Jean Reno, and others

historical background :P

Hopscotch (1980)

Walter Matthau's crowning achievement as a CIA agent who is being put out to pasture for doing things his own way. Ned Betty as his nemesis doesn't know who he is dealing with as he has just been newly appointed as his boss, but he's about to find out the hard way.

Meet Miles Kendig, he loves listening to Mozart, has had a lengthy and prosperous career in government intelligence, and now it's time to put his wit to work.

A cat and mouse chase that entertaining from start to finish. This film features two Matthau's kids (a condition he placed in contract for accepting a role in which he has to film in Germany (Oktoberfest)and then having to actually participate in Oktoberfest celebration as both his family and friends were lost in the Holocaust.

This is a great film.

He's Just Not That Into You

Wow wotta chick flick. I thought there'd be a bit more cynicism, maybe some reality, but no - it's a chick flick full of impossible characters with no basis in reality. Which makes it great fun to watch, but I hardly suggest it as a self-help manual!

5/10.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall - 3/4

I only rented this, because of somebody on these boards recommending it. I found it hard to enjoy the lead characters. The guy was a complete doormat and a cry-baby, I have no respect for people like that. His ex-girlfriend was a conniving wh*re, and the rocker guy was a total douche-bag. The story was easy to follow, but clearly not one of Apatow's better films.

The Mist...Not sure how to rate this...Loved the actors in the movie, especially the woman that played the crazy lady in the movie...she did really well at that part...Very gross movie, but kept my attention until the end....I'm really disappointed with the ending of this movie....It was very disburing, and I give the ending a two thumbs down! :thumbsdown: :mad: :thumbsdown:....I see that it was based on a novel by Stephen King...I never read the book, but I'm hoping that the book has a different ending than the movie....

Saw "He's Just Not That Into You" yesterday. Here's my take: I LOVED IT.

It was a chick flick. HOWEVER, any man who wants to understand the opposite sex a little better could very well benefit from seeing this movie and paying close attention.

I am always trying to learn more about the differences between male/female behavior, especially when it comes to dealing with the opposite sex, and this movie showed, in a very funny way, how signals get interpreted and acted upon, and explained it all in a way that even the basest of individuals could understand.

10/10 for me.

Saw Fatal Attraction (1987 with Michael Douglas, Glenn Close, Anne Archer) on cable last night. This is an exceptionally well made suspense movie, a genre which can easily become a filmmaker's danger zone by turning out a clunky stumbler, a yawner or failing to deliver impact to an increasingly jaded viewing audience who seem to find it harder and harder to be rattled by a movie. In the case of Fatal Attraction, the director - Adrian Lyne (9 1/2 Weeks, Flashdance) - has borrowed heavily from the master of suspense, Alfred Hitchcock, in order to insure success. The use of light-to-dark/relief-to-confliction plot developements, obtuse camera angles, ominous sound effects and the use of close ups featuring abstract framing are all reminiscent of Hitch; and used in order to heighten tension or release tension - as if the film were breathing along with the viewer.

Seeing it on cable for the second time was no less an effectively strong argument against a man straying away from a good marriage, as it was when I saw it first run in a theatre. In fact, I could enjoy its prolific filming nuances and acting subtlties even more the second time through. In the theatre, I hadn't considered how Close and Douglas were brilliant in their sympathetic and restrained characterizations of two polar opposite types drawn together by simple animal lust. It could have been easy to overplay these characters and thereby parody the subjects of this investigation into the pitfalls that can come from infidelity.

I give this 9/10. :thumbsup:

The Mist...Not sure how to rate this...Loved the actors in the movie, especially the woman that played the crazy lady in the movie...she did really well at that part...Very gross movie, but kept my attention until the end....I'm really disappointed with the ending of this movie....It was very disburing, and I give the ending a two thumbs down! :thumbsdown: :mad: :thumbsdown:....I see that it was based on a novel by Stephen King...I never read the book, but I'm hoping that the book has a different ending than the movie....

The book was very good, the ending very Stephen King-ish. They never seem to capture Stephen King novels well for the movies, which is why I always read the book first. I'll rent it, now that I know it's worth my time. I can deal with the ending.

We saw Gone Baby Gone on Peaches recommendation. Pretty good, lots of truly unbelievable twists, but they held your interest. The Affleck boys (Ben directed, Casey starred) did pretty well with this one. 8/10

Humboldt County .... was just ok. A bit dull and weird in the beginning, but in the second half those things began to make sense, and it finished up ok. 7/10