Rate the Last Movie You've Seen

Farin

I hate it when I'm expecting to see a really really good movie, because then I'm ultimately disappointed. Like with "Titanic."

If, however, I go in with no expectations whatsoever, I find that the movie is that much more enjoyable. Like with "Sex and the City." :)

I totally know what you mean. Like when I see the names "Antonioni," "Tarkovsky," "Truffaut," or "Teshigahara" in a movie, I expect it to be good. Then, I pop the movie in... and it is even better than I expected! How overwhelming! :)

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rat race

incredibly absurd and far-fetched and therefore very funny and amusing :D

I did think the end could be worked out better. --> 7,5/10

Garfield 2

nothing new, no original story, no really funny situations except for Garfields dancing. I think I'm growing to old for this sort of animations :( --> 5/10

"Antonioni," "Tarkovsky," "Truffaut," or "Teshigahara" in a movie, I expect it to be good. Then, I pop the movie in... and it is even better than I expected! How overwhelming! :)

I know it´s just normal in my case to know who those directors are, I grew up in the movies scene (my dad was a movie critic, my brother is a movie director, my sister writes scripts, etc). Besides, I live in Europe and my friends were all cinema lovers.

Antonioni is best known for "Zabriskie Point" and its famous soundtrack:

The soundtrack album, Zabriskie Point, features music from various artists, including Pink Floyd, The Youngbloods, The Kaleidoscope, Jerry Garcia, Patti Page, and the Grateful Dead. A Rolling Stones track ("You Got the Silver") did not appear on the soundtrack album. The songs by Pink Floyd, Jerry Garcia, and The Kaleidoscope were written for the film.

The tune from the widely known Pink Floyd song, "Us and Them", was originally written on the piano by Richard Wright for the movie in 1969; this is where the "The Violent Sequence" title came from. Director Michelangelo Antonioni rejected it on the grounds that it was too unlike their "Careful with That Axe, Eugene"-esque work; as Roger Waters recalls it in impersonation, Antonioni's response was, "It's beautiful, but too sad, you know? It makes me think of church."[1] The song was shelved until The Dark Side of the Moon.

Antonioni visited the band The Doors while they were recording the album L.A. Woman, and considered including them in the soundtrack. The Doors recorded the song "L' America" for the film, but in the end it was never used.

or "Blow-Up" and its celebrities :

The film contains appearances from various famous people of the day, and some people who would become famous later.

In a scene near the end, The Yardbirds perform "Train Kept A Rollin'", Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck play side by side until Beck smashes his guitar à la The Who. Michael Palin of Monty Python's Flying Circus fame can be seen very briefly in the crowd in this scene,[citation needed] and future media personality Janet Street-Porter can be seen dancing in stripey trousers. As Hemmings enters the club where The Yardbirds are playing, a poster on the entry door with a drawing of a tombstone contains the following epitaph: Here lies Bob Dylan Passed Away Royal Albert Hall 27 May 1966 R.I.P. — an obvious reference to Dylan's use of electric instruments during the performance.

Antonioni had considered using The Velvet Underground in the nightclub scene, but according to guitarist Sterling Morrison, "the expense of bringing the whole entourage to England proved too much for him."

François Truffaut was one of the greatest movie directors ever. Not just in France or Europe. "Fahrenheit 451" might be his most well known movie out of Europe. Not to mention "Jules et Jim", "La Nuit Américaine"...

He also had a role in "Close Encounters in the Third Phase".

I don´t know much about Andrei Tarkowski, I didn´t see all of his movies... and I believe I never watched a whole Teshigahara film.

I don´t know much about Andrei Tarkowski, I didn´t see all of his movies... and I believe I never watched a whole Teshigahara film.

Teshigahara Hiroshi's films are new to me. Four were released by Criterion last year on dvd and, based on those four, they opened even more possibilities in my way of thinking. I watched Suna No Onna ("Woman In The Dune") and it was an experience I'm still reeling from - it's very existential (maybe disturbing in its final assertion).

20070716140113_20070713.jpg

No, but I think it's one of the top recommendations I have in netflix under the genre. I read the small synopsis and it reminds me of Woody Allen's The Purple Rose Of Cairo.

I can't go on more binge shopping at Kohl's anymore... because I went on a movie and music binge shopping these past few weeks plus the symphony, plus the musicals, plus the comedy shows.

You have to see Before Sunrise, bluesboy. Whenever I think of a "romantic movie," that's the very first film which comes to mind. I don't think I've ever known anyone who isn't touched at least one bit by it.

Thanks for the suggestion. :bow:

We'll put it on our netflix list and let you know what we thought.

Isn't it though?? I adore it, it's one of my all time favorite films. :bow:

It's pretty rare to come across a movie that's actually a 9.5 or close to a 10, but The Notebook delivers the goods.

A beautiful romance that cuts deep to your soul.

:bow:

I've seen it twice now, and sobbed both times. Absolutely the most touching and romantic film ever made.

Juno. 8.5/10 Ellen Page was magnificent as the title character. A great supporting cast in a warm, quirky, touching (yet not mawkish) comedy. It's very deserving of all the accolades.

The Bourne Ultimatum 5.5/10 Matt Damon brings a troubled earnestness to the roll of Jason Bourne, but the herky-jerky and largely ridiculous action sequences render this action film little better than average.

Just saw Pink Flamingos and it is the most revolting thing I've seen in years. Actually, I can't think of anything that's more disgusting, repugnant, stomach churning, vomit-inducing, which I've seen in the few thousands of movies I've seen. It is everything that's purported to be and then some. In a way, it's the perfect movie of its kind. Luis Bunuel, Catherine Breillat, Luchino Visconti, Pier Paolo Pasolini, Paul Morrissey, and David Lynch got nuthin' on John Waters :beatnik: