Rate the Last Movie You've Seen

Farin

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Atonement." Really, after its nomination for Best Picture, I expected to be blown off my feet. It was truly excruciating through several scenes... very long and drawn-out. They extended some of the scenes soooooo much longer than needed.

I give this one 5/10.

Truly, Madly, Deeply (Anthony Minghella)

A great movie; I saw it over 15 years ago, and it still had an impact on me. It is a little dated, but Juliet Stevenson and Alan Rickman's performances were terrific. I especially enjoyed the scene where the two main characters sang "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore". 8/10

I watched most of Peter Jackson's "King Kong" on TV Saturday night. I don't know if it was meant to be funny, but after a while it was. I was telling my husband "These guys have been attacked by head hunters,dinosaurs, giant bugs and the loch ness monster. Next there has to be a unicorn, the yeti, bigfoot and aliens!"

4/10 (only that high because of the laugh factor)

I watched that one a couple of months ago, Rachel. It made me absolutely squirm. It's tough for me to believe that parents can be so oblivious to their child's coming undone, regardless of what their personal circumstances are. But it's been hailed as portraying a very real subject...

the father was the worst character for me personally but apparently it is based on a true story, one of the writer's dad was obviously like that. I guess if they are going through such a tough time... although i couldn't believe that a child could get drunk at home all the time and the parents would never notice

Not in my house , at least . My mother/father would mark the bottle's level with a pen before they left anywhere during my later teenage years ... :P Not that they really needed to - I had my own sources , and they would , occasionally , have to enjoy some watered-down whisky - not that they noticed much anyway , mixing it with Coke or ginger-ale .

My sweetie has an 18-year-old son who lives at home with him. One day he went to the freezer to get his cold bottle of vodka and found it half frozen. He called his kid in and shows it to him. The kid pretends ignorance, "What?"

"Alcohol doesn't freeze unless there's water in it."

"It doesn't?"

'Nuff said. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Well, after having seen Juno last night I've finally seen all five films nominated for Best Picture this year.

Here's how I rate them:

Best Picture: Juno (and Ellen Page was fantastic)9/10.

2nd: There Will Be Blood (DJ Lewis deserved his Oscar. 8/10

3rd: Michael Clayton 7/10

4th: No Country For Old Men 7/10

5th: Atonement (I'd rate it lower if possible. ZZZZZZ) 5/10

I also saw 2 other nice films over the weekend.

The first was an Indy film starring Michael Douglas called The King Of California. I've never seen a Douglas movie that I didn't enjoy and this one is no exception. Here's the Blockbuster synopsis: Michael Douglas stars as a treasure-hunting eccentric in this comedy from director Michael Cahill. Recently released from a mental institution and reunited with his teenage daughter, Miranda (Evan Rachel Wood), Charlie (Douglas) decides there's century's old gold buried near their lower-middle-class neighborhood, and sets out on an obsessive quest to find it. Along the way, the estranged parent and child rekindle a long-lost bond with each other. King Of California screened at the 2007 Sundance Film Festival. ~ Matthew Tobey, All Movie Guide

BTW--Loved Evan Rachel Wood. The movie was brilliantly directed and acted. Very entertaining! I give it an 8/10.

The other movie was The Feast Of Love starring MuzikTyme, er, I mean Morgan Freeman. What a warm, engaging film with top rate, seasoned actors. Here's the Netflix description: Set in a small, idyllic Oregon community, veteran director Robert Benton's (Kramer vs. Kramer) charming ensemble drama features different lives intersecting at a coffee shop as they explore the depths of love and loss, joy and pain, and everything in between. Based on the popular Charles Baxter novel, this touching tale stars Morgan Freeman, Greg Kinnear, Selma Blair, Jane Alexander, Radha Mitchell and Billy Burke. Another 8/10 for this one.

I highly recommend both...and make sure you see Juno! It has the same charm as Garden State or Elizabethtown (though totally different movies). Movies that actually make an old man like young people. Waddaya think of that?

I've only seen such nice reviews of Juno here, but I thought it was terrible :crazy: The movie itself wasn't that bad I guess, but that girl... that know-it-all, pseudo-mature behaviour made me want to run every time she opened her mouth

It's not just that, but almost every character is like that in the movie. It made me realise how much I loathe hipsters when I felt the urge to storm out of the cinema and punch a few on the nose.

I've only seen such nice reviews of Juno here, but I thought it was terrible :crazy: The movie itself wasn't that bad I guess, but that girl... that know-it-all, pseudo-mature behaviour made me want to run every time she opened her mouth

I know some kids like that...quite a few, really. However, did you still feel that way by the end of the movie? I thought she "came of age" by the end. I also admired her loyalty to Bleeker.