Rate the Last Movie You've Seen

Farin

In response to jane somewhere up there ^^ I also saw Black Snake Maon, and was pleasantly surprised. I thought they could have done a bit more with the movie, but the premise was interesting, and I actually came away really liking the movie. I'd give it 7.5/10.

Saw The Ninth Gate last night. Somehow I missed this movie when it was released in '99. It's a Polanski film (who I dislike for some unknown reason, principle I guess), and is really incredibly good. The cinematography is wonderful, and the plot is suspenseful, and in places quite frightening. It stars Johnny Depp, who I don't care for much, but he plays an understated character, and does it well, no over the top accents, makeup, costuming etc. The plot is based on satanistic themes, so if you have a problem with that, don't watch it. It's definately not for everyone, but it's a great Halloween scary movie! 9/10.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh of course the man is incredibly HOT HOT HOt...that goes without saying. But in so many movies he has played such over the top characters. I enjoy him in movies that he plays more ordinary people, such as What's Eating Gilbert Grape, and this one. Also, he's much more appealing in this movie, because you get more a sense of Johnny Depp, not some oddball character.

Anyway, rent the movie... it keeps you on the edge of your seat, and I now want to read the book it's based on.

Full Metal Jacket 10/10 :bow: :bow:

Marine, what is that button on your body armor?

A peace symbol, sir.

Where'd you get it?

I don't remember, sir.

What is that you've got written on your helmet?

"Born to Kill", sir.

You write "Born to Kill" on your helmet and you wear a peace button. What's that supposed to be, some kind of sick joke?

a culture channel here is showing a series of Stanley Kubrick (:bow:) films

next week it's Paths of Glory :bow: :bow:

Just like the SHINING or CLOCKWORK ORANGE, SPARTACUS or EYES WIDE SHUT and, even, 2001 SPACE ODYSSEY.

Sometimes, it's not the music but its conductor . . .

Stanley Kubrick, the greatest director ever, gave us visions we'd of never seen, had it not been for him, right, private Pyle?!!! . . .

Just like the SHINING or CLOCKWORK ORANGE, SPARTACUS or EYES WIDE SHUT and, even, 2001 SPACE ODYSSEY.

Sometimes, it's not the music but its conductor . . .

Stanley Kubrick, the greatest director ever, gave us visions we'd of never seen, had it not been for him, right, private Pyle?!!! . . .

absolutly, I agree 100% :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

and you forgot Dr. Strangelove ([smaller]or: How I learned to stop worrying and love the Bomb[/smaller])

:rockon:

But please, let's not forget these, either:

Paths of Glory (1957)

The Killing (1956)

Killer's Kiss (1955)

The Seafarers (1953)

Fear and Desire (1953)

Day of the Fight (1951)

Flying Padre (1951)

One man writes a novel

One man writes a symphony

So, it's essential for one man to make a film.

~ Stanley Kubrick ~

Oh, a few pages back I mentioned the 1932 movie Freaks.

Here's a better clip:

Wedding Feast

The Departed, Uncle Joe, had the twisted ending that I love; great movie!

The Illusionist was wonderful yet my hat's off to the chief inspector, Paul Giamatti (aka Pig Vomit in Private Parts w/Howard Stern). This isn't to say Norton wasn't wonderful in his role, it's just that, IMHO, Giamatti stole the show.

Great choices!

R.W. Fassbinder's "In A Year With 13 Moons." I'd beg to differ with one of the directors they interviewed. He stated it was better than "Fox And His Friends," but I'd say "Fox And His Friends" has better elements of unrequitted self-sacrifice. Both are good movies of his second stage of film making, but I'd recommend "Fox And His Friends" over "13 Moons" to anyone not familiar with Fassbinder's work.

faustrecht_1.jpg

The Departed, Uncle Joe, had the twisted ending that I love; great movie!

I am going to attempt to watch this one again...tried to stay up late the other night, but I really didn't get to see too much of it...so I hope I get to watch the rest of it tonight...I didn't quite understand what was going on, I know I'm a little slow sometimes, but I have to watch it again from the beginning now...I'll be back with a rating.... :P

I just finished watching Requiem For A Dream.

I lost myself completely in the movie. It is incredibly powerful and incredibly tragic. It 'spoke' even (especially?) when there was no dialogue. I think it'll take me a while to get over it. 10/10 and a :bow:

Great, no, I'll say outstanding movie.

It is one of my all-time favourite gut-wrenching flicks.

Great choice!

Last movie I watched was Dan In Real Life. And I'm a Steve Carell fan, so I loved it. But you'd really have to be in the mood for a chick-flick, and you'd have to love Steve Carell to like it. It was a great way to get a smile for the day...

I really want to see "Enchanted." Is it even out yet?...

Saw the rest of The Departed...I give it two thumbs up! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It was interesting to compare The Departed

to Infernal Affairs (Mou gaan dou, 2002) the Hong Kong film on which it was based.

For myself, being unfamiliar with Asian political and law enforcement/criminal culture. the story seemed somehow more plausible in Infernal Affairs.

Far-fetched plot aside, director Martin Scorsese made another superlative film.

Rescue Dawn.

Viet Nam.... It was soooo bad :thumbdown: :(:(:(:(

Posted this late last night so I'll add to it.

The movie wasn't to bad but the stuff that happened in Viet Nam was.

It was based on true events. The only major thing I can say I didn't like was about 3/4 of the movie was done in whispers. That was annoying. We had to keep adjusting the volume.

It was kind of slow moving but I've seen a lot worse. No real gore or torturing etc. I say it wasn't a bad movie only because of the others I've seen lately :thumbsdown:

I'd rate it at about 3/10.

It was interesting to compare The Departed

to Infernal Affairs (Mou gaan dou, 2002) the Hong Kong film on which it was based.

For myself, being unfamiliar with Asian political and law enforcement/criminal culture. the story seemed somehow more plausible in Infernal Affairs.

Far-fetched plot aside, director Martin Scorsese made another superlative film.

Oh Yeah, I agree it was far-fetched, but still kept ya watching....