Rate the Last Movie You've Seen

Farin

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darryl, I love those Marx Brothers movies. The double entendres and the silly characters are just excellent. here are some classic lines.

Here's to our wives and girlfriends...may they never meet!

Mrs. Teasdale: He's had a change of heart.

[Groucho]: A lot of good that'll do him. He's still got the same face.

I sent the club a wire stating, Please accept my resignation. I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.

She got her good looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon.

Age is not a particularly interesting subject. Anyone can get old. All you have to do is live long enough.

Very funny stuff.

Now you're talkin! Great movie. :)

I rented a bunch of really old movies at the library. I just got done with Some Like It Hot. A masterpiece, between Tony Curtis' good looks, Jack Lemmons' wit, and classic Marilyn, it was fantastic to see again. The comedic exchanges between the three make this movie a classic for all time. 10/10!

I sent the club a wire stating, Please accept my resignation. I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.

Very funny stuff.

THAT is one of my all time favorite lines Phil. :)

Speaking of MASH, Allan Alda's Hawkeye character in the TV series is, without a doubt, based on Groucho Marx. 'Yankee Doodle Doctor' is my favorite episode. I have series 1 to 3 on Video. About time to start watching them again. The movie is worth a look, Wade, but it's more satirical/dry than the TV series. Not too many belly laughs.

And I used to play the Three Stooges for my Grandaughter when her Mum wasn't around too. I don't think she's poked any kids in the eyes!

LOVE the first Dirty Harry (and the first Rambo).

And Some Like It Hot is a classic. I saw it recently on TV.

i had the house to myself all day yesterday so i had a regular dvd-fest.

first i watched season 1 of twin peaks. i'd never seen it before - i'm totally hooked so i'm watching season 2 online!

then i watched 'hable con ella' (talk to her), an almodóvar movie about two men who strike up a friendship while the women they love are in comas. a really excellent movie but totally messed up.

after that i watched some classic hitchcock, 'shadow of a doubt' made in 1943 about a girl whose uncle comes to visit leading to some startling discoveries. hitchcock often said this was his favourite movie. this was excellent too. the acting was brilliant and obviously hitchcock creates a really eerie atmosphere. teresa swift who played the girl is the image of my younger cousin, beautiful!

the most messed up of all was next: 'the rules of attraction'. it's a very good movie with some interesting narrative techniques, although the backwards/forwards stuff was slightly overdone in my view. it's based on a novel by brett easton ellis, who also wrote 'american psycho' so it's suitably messed up! it was pretty disturbing but i suppose nothing i hadn't seen or imagined before. james van der beek certainly does his best to cast off the sickly-sweet dawson image with his portrayal of sean bateman, the infamous patrick's younger brother.

i couldn't go to bed having just watched the last one so i watched 'the prince of tides' which was on tv. i really enjoyed it. barbra streisand and nick nolte were great in it. it was a very powerful and moving drama and explored alot of difficult themes.

overall it was a very good day and night's movie watching but i finished up pretty much feeling like i can never trust men again!

Went to bed late last night - tired at 1AM. Turned on cable because I didn't want to read and TV helps put me to sleep at times. Well, I was just in time to see The Assassination Of Richard Nixon on Cinemax. I did not get to sleep until after 3! And I was fully alert up until that time. I had seen this great study of a real person's lost life before, but this time I was CONVINCED that this is one of the best movies I have seen. I am not a gushing Sean Penn fan in the least (some of his stuff is good, some a bit pushed and overworked); but his Sam Bicke, the lead character, is a classic tour de force. Up there with anything Peck or Stewart or Hoffman have ever done. The understated changes he projects as his character tries to keep his flawed life in some semblance of order, is a masterpiece of acting.

10/10 and I rarely give that grade.

the most messed up of all was next: 'the rules of attraction'...james van der beek certainly does his best to cast off the sickly-sweet dawson image with his portrayal of sean bateman, the infamous patrick's younger brother.

Didn't he just make you sick with that character? I've known guys like that... He did a good job portraying a complete jerk.

Last movie I watched was Dreamgirls. First 45 minutes was great, then they started bursting into song every 3 minutes, and I had to fast-forward through a lot of it. I hate it when songs are elaborate over-sung over-performed Streisand-esque and too-long. I fast-forwarded at 2x speed and it took me 5 minutes to get all the way through one song. Anyway, I never did see the end of the movie. 4/10

I was going to hire 'Dreamgirls' soon. At least you didn't tell me the ending, Shawna. It sounds like one of those old 50s/early 60s Musicals where they're having a conversation and burst into song in the middle.

They have a deal at our DVD Library where you get 1 Overnight and 4 weeklies for $12. I'm not like Gisela though - it took me a week to watch them all. They were:

Night At The Museum (Great stuff for us big kids)

X - Men 3 (Getting a little 'tired' looking)

The World's Fastest Indian (Excellent! A one man show for Anthony Hopkins. My Wife went to sleep during it though)

Hostage (I like Bruce Willis - second time I've seen it)

Bad Santa (Watched about 10 minutes -if that - of it with my Sons)

:)

"Shrek The Third" 7/10. Like a TV series, this story has slipped into low/reverse gear as domesticity threatens the green swamp couple. The "Arthur Pendragon" character sounded quite a bit like Shrek the first, but pulled it off like any good career counselor. I'm not looking forward to "Shrek IV." :sleepy:

then i watched 'hable con ella' (talk to her), an almodóvar movie about two men who strike up a friendship while the women they love are in comas. a really excellent movie but totally messed up.

I watched the last thirty minutes of that movie yesterday...

it IS really excellent, but also quite difficult to watch...

i imagine it would be hard to watch sections of it out of context as well! like, for example, the bit about the silent movie - it's totally bizarre!! it is hard to watch and it's sometimes difficult to understand where the characters are coming from. but marco is a gorgeous character! almodovar is a headcase, but so interesting!!

do you have to ask??! :laughing:

benigno is the guy in prison - he has some sweet gentle aspects to him but basically he's completely messed up! i read that almodovar based his character on roberto benigni, the actor who was in 'la vita e bella' (life is beautiful). i'd be pretty upset about that if i was roberto!!