Rate the Last Movie You've Seen

Farin

"Serenity" 8/10

I was looking for Don Ho's "rap" over "Hawai'i Aloha," which had been featured on 5/5, when his ashes were scattered off Waikiki beach. I found his "A Night in Hawaii with Don Ho," but the find of the night was "Serenity." A "tie up loose strands and give 'em a mighty yank" would sum up this continuation of the late TV show, "Firefly." Although one could see this movie without knowing anything about the series, it's rip-roaring action, peril, and humor running as fast as you can away from the zombie-like Reavers. For non-Browncoats, get the "Firefly" set, then fly "like a leaf in the wind." :coolio:

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dark Water

Jennifer Connelly plays a recently divorced mother who moves to upstate New York with her daughter, and uncovers a gruesome history of the apartment slum she has moved into.

Rating: 6/10

I thought it had a good storyline, but there should have been more with it. It had some rather scary parts, but not scary enough for me. I'm sure the Japanese version is a lot better. May have to look for it one of these days.

I saw most of LOTR: Return of The King on TV the other night. I had never seen it at the theater and wanted to finish off the trilogy. I'm not big into LOTR, but it was a well done movie and even though it had a huge, disgusting spider in it, I give it an 8/10.

Saw "The Wind That Shakes The Barley," a period peace about the IRA in the early 1920's. It's an in your face look at the situation and it pulls not punches. Very emotional and well done, and I think it's a must see for anyone interested in the topic. 9/10.

Hot Shots 10/10

Definitely in my Top Ten all-time favorite movies! I quote from that movie all the time! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Wash Out: I've got walleye-vision ... there's a delicate corneal inversion procedure... a multi-opti-pupil-optomy. But, in order to keep from damaging the eye sockets, they've got to go in through the rectum. Ain't no man going to take that route with me.

------------------

Topper Harley: Why are you mad at me? He's the one who ate your father.

------------------------

Ramada: I'm a virgin. I'm just not very good at it.

Gis, what you should do is apply NOW for a job there, in the movie... as a runner, production assistant, photographer, interpreter, anything...!! That´s how you get to meet people... ;) I´m sure you can contact somebody who kows ehere they will shoot, locations, offices, etc...

i just watched 'brick' today - an indie flick which is a throwback to film noir hard boiled detective movies but set in a modern day high school. i thought it was excellent and i really dig joseph gordon-levitt. however, the movie left me with loads of questions, like most of the best ones do!! i had a look around online and even found a discussion forum run by the film's writer-director but there's already been so much discussion, it would take forever to search for the answers to my questions! if anyone here has seen the movie and would be interested in discussing it with me in a spoiler thread i'll start one - let me know!

Fracture starring Anthony Hopkins and Ryan Gosling. I like both those guys and the movie starts out containing an intriguing premise, with both actors in key positions to do what they do best; Gosling as a flawed-but-you-gotta-love-him asst. DA and Hopkins as a Hannibal-like-but-with-a-good-reason-to-be-heinous wife murdering engineer (also with a bad sometimes-come and sometimes-go Irish accent; what's up with that?!) Wanted to like this one but about halfway through, Fracture gets mucked up, murky and plotlines begin to break apart. Too many cracks to be a seamless movie.

6/10

'babel'

i watched it with my mum and two of my brothers, one of whom was just off a night on call in the hospital so he was very tired. i would have preferred to have watched it on my own (how very introverted of me) because they were slightly impatient which affected my enjoyment of the movie. i thought it was very good. beautifully shot, excellent acting. the links between the stories were a little tenuous but interesting nonetheless. it really captured the feelings of the protagonists so well - desperation, fear, loneliness. in particular, i had never seen the theme of the isolation of a deaf-mute person dealt with onscreen and i thought it was done very effectively in this movie. i would recommend this film, although, while i personally didn't, some people might find it a little on the long side.

overall, a good day for film-watching for me! :thumbsup:

I watched Dreamgirls today. I adored this movie because I love any movie involving singing, dancing, and shiny fringy dresses. Jamie Fox's character was a b--t--d! I think Anika Noni Rose should have sang more. And Jennifer Hudson-man can she SING! I threatened my boss with the idea of me following her around, begging her to be a Dream and sing the songs with me. I give Dreamgirls an 8/10

Phil, you're a man after my own heart. :)

Unfortunately I don't have Duck Soup on DVD, but I do have:

At The Circus

The Big Store

Go West

A Day At The Races

A Night At The Opera - my favorite.

I love the Contract scene with Groucho & Chico (the 'sanity clause' !) and the Crowded Sea Cabin scene. The numbers just grew and grew.

Wasn't Margaret Dumont just perfect as the 'straight woman' ?

I also have quite a few 3 Stooges episodes, which I've only just recently been allowed to show my Grandchildren. Woo Woo Woo Woo Woo.

:)

I also have quite a few 3 Stooges episodes, which I've only just recently been allowed to show my Grandchildren. Woo Woo Woo Woo Woo.

:)

:laughing: I remember when my mom tried to prevent me from watching the Three Stooges too. Luckily, my dad watched them with me when she wasn't around.