Dumb question

Henry David

there are different kinds of bitrates for an mp3...

128 is (still?) standard but it can get higher: 168, 192, 320 or something... but you usualy can't hear the difference anyway

but to your other question, If I remember correctly then you don't have any quality loss if your burning an mp3 back to a CD Audio (most burning programs can do that) :)

Jen, I'm sure you've already considered this but for the sake of others...

Sometimes when a disc skips or behaves badly all the disc needs is to be cleaned. The best way to do this is to mix a solution of water and alcohol (about 50/50) and place it in a small misting vial.

Spray the mist on the playing side of the disc and then use a very soft cloth to wipe from the center of the disc to the edge in a straight motion. Do not wipe the disc in a circular motion. Just several wipes from the center outward.

No, actually I hadn't thought of cleaning them....I will try that for the one that skips badly, but there are a couple of others that I think were just on crappy disks. My husband sometimes buys them in bulk at computer shows, so I guess you get a few duds.

I have quite a bit of experience in this topic.

You could use file format with lossless compression, such as WMA Lossless or FLAC. For sound quality identical to the original CD when converting files.

If you really want to experience sound quality loss, listen to a new vinyl copy of say The Beatles SPLHCB (lots of instrumental depth) on a quality HI-FI, with headphones, then listen to the the CD of same. WOW! Digital ain't better sound "depth" for sure.

My experience with various media is that is does not have the integrity of original cd's by far, no matter how much you spend. But the better stuff will last longer than the cheaper stuff.

I have mega cd's, none have skips that I know. I have mega copies, some develop skips over years.

Clean the CD player lens now and then too. People tend to clean only cd's and forget about the lens. You can pick one up and most any cd/electronics store.

If you do get a scratch on a CD or DVD, try small sprits of pledge furniture polish on the surface and take a facial tissue and wipe it off across the disc (not circular) this will fill in the fine scratches and get rid of the "refraction" effect that can cause stalls and skips.