"U2-charist": Bono moves in mysterious ways

Eggplant

If this isn't already one of the signs of the apocalypse, it should be (and I'm one of the biggest U2 fans you will meet):

LONDON (Reuters) - For Anglicans who still haven't found what they're looking for, the Church of England is staging its first "U2-charist" communion service -- replacing hymns with hit songs by the Irish supergroup.

"Rock music can be a vehicle of immense spirituality," said Bishop of Grantham Timothy Ellis, announcing plans for the unique service in the central English town of Lincoln in May.

A live band is to play U2 classics like "Beautiful Day" and "Mysterious Ways" with special singalong lyrics displayed on a giant screen. Seating for the 500-strong congregation is to be re-arranged so everyone can dance and wave their hands.

The service is to focus on the Millennium development goals -- U2's lead singer Bono is a leading promoter of the targets to alleviate world poverty.

Why so shocked ? In the early '70s Protestant churches in North America adopted " Joy to the World " , and " Put your Hand in the Hand of the Man " , " Morning Has Broken " etc. into the regular hymn sing ... and so ?! U2's origins were that of a highly Christian-oriented rock band . Big deal .

Why so shocked ? In the early '70s protestant churches in North America adopted " Joy to the World " , and " Put your Hand in the Hand of the Man " etc. into the regular hymn sing ... and so ?! U2's origins were that of a highly Christian-oriented rock band . Big deal .

I gotta say, that isn't the reaction I thought this post would garner. Not with all the Bono-bashing that goes on around here.

Yes, there are U2 songs that might do well sung in a church. There are, however, some that don't really have that much religious imagery, such as "Mysterious Ways" which the article mentioned.

A live band is to play U2 classics like "Beautiful Day" and "Mysterious Ways" with special singalong lyrics displayed on a giant screen.

Yes, let's replace inexpensive hymnals with giant, 20-foot monitors that only display the words and not the actual music while people are out on the street.

If this was the 1950's, everybody would be saying, "Don't let devil music into the church." :P

I think that's a good idea. "I Sill Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" would be a good song to do in church as well.

And I think U2 does get some respect on the boards. I know at least one of their albums got on MoC and a couple of their songs are in the SF Top Ten. I like them. I don't care about Bono and his ego, I just like the music.

Just don't let Blind -fitter in this thread : he's the spawn of the Anti-Christ ! :laughing: :help:
I'm not sure that BF would like his name being taken in vain in this way, however, whatever he says about this, 'double backs-and-no-returns'... :)

Bono is the anti-Christ...aint no doubt about it....he is Beelzebub. I'm amazed that the US have not cottoned on to his smooth sothern style and absolutely obvious resemblance to all the mephistopholean imagery that has percolated through their culture...the shades are more than enough for me...'sunglasses after dark'....anyone? :P

A live band is to play U2 classics like "Beautiful Day"

You mean the tune U2 were commissioned to write by UK commercial TV channel ITV, for use as the theme music to their Saturday night football-highlights show "The Big Match"? This track is no more than a glorified advertising jingle.

Very spiritual, I must say.

Just don't let Blind -fitter in this thread : he's the spawn of the Anti-Christ !

Not sure what my dear old mum (who never harmed a soul) would have thought to her beloved youngest son being referred to as "the spawn of the Anti-Christ", but I guess that since it's nigh on ten years since she passed away (bless her), we'll never really know whether 'twas indeed Lucifer that impregnated her that stormy night in '64.