Rock & Roll Jeopardy 2

Rayzor

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I first thought of Mariah Carey too... but she had Grammys. I remembered some very famous ones didn't (Queen among them)... one of the possibilites was DR. I wikied ...

So...

This songwriter (part of a famous team) took a long break and became a profesional gambler for years, earning his life that way, till the mob came to his place with guns and brought him back to music.

Diana Ross And The Supremes also had "Stoned Love" which only reached #7 on the Pop chart but peaked at #1 on the R&B chart.

This would make a total of 21 #1 hits in the U.S.

Diana did not appear on Stoned Love which was after she left the Supremes in 1970 for her solo career.

That would give her 20 #1's between the Hot 100, AC & R & B charts.

Thanks for pointing that out, CJ. That is correct.

I counted through the end of 1970 when I was adding them up cuz I was not paying attention.

This songwriter (part of a famous team) took a long break and became a profesional gambler for years, earning his life that way, till the mob came to his place with guns and brought him back to music.

Who is Chip Taylor?

Aye Edna :thumbsup:

Wikipedia says:

It was widely reported that Ace killed himself playing Russian roulette. Big Mama Thornton's bass player Curtis Tillman, however, who witnessed the event, said, "I will tell you exactly what happened! Johnny Ace had been drinking and he had this little pistol he was waving around the table and someone said ‘Be careful with that thing…’ and he said ‘It’s okay! Gun’s not loaded…see?’ and pointed it at himself with a smile on his face and ‘Bang!’ – sad, sad thing. Big Mama ran outta that dressing room yelling ‘Johnny Ace just killed hisself!"

Thornton said in a written statement (included in the book The Late Great Johnny Ace) that Ace had been playing with the gun, but not playing Russian roulette. According to Thornton, Ace pointed the gun at his girlfriend and another woman who were sitting nearby, but did not fire. He then pointed the gun toward himself. The gun went off, shooting him in the side of the head.