Rock & Roll Jeopardy 2

Rayzor

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[smaller]It's Not Rocket Science (But Close Enough For Rock & Roll) for 600[/smaller]

Before this singer-songwriter, music producer and video director earned 3 Grammy Awards, 4 gold records, and 6 platinum records in the US, he received an an degree in architecture from prestigious CalPoly and was a disc jockey at the university's radio station.

I've been a fan of Weird Al since I first heard "My Bologna" on the Dr. Demento Show back in high school.

Surprise Reflections for 1000:

When this #1 album from the '80s is held up to a mirror, the letters and numbers on the airplane spell out "EATME".

[smaller]Let Someone Else Do It for 600[/smaller]

Although other artists had hits with this composer/writer’s songs, in a second time ever major live appearance at the 1967 Monterey Pop Festival, the musician was reportedly booed off the stage.

Who is Mariah Carey?

That answer refers to the U.S. Billboard Pop Chart(Hot 100) only.

She actually has 20 total #1 hits in the U.S.

Her song, "Can't Let Go" which only reached #2 on the Pop chart, was a #1 hit on the U.S. Billboard Adult Contemporary Chart.

Her song, "Loverboy" which only reached #2 on the Pop chart was a #1 hit on the U.S. Billboard R&B chart.

:doh:

That's right, Edna.

My guess is not correct.

I forgot about Carey winning the Best New Artist Grammy award in 1990.

I didn't look at Diana Ross as an answer because I was only looking at her solo hits and not her time with the Supremes. They started out as The Supremes and then started recording as Diana Ross And The Supremes in mid-1967 but she wasn't a solo artist at the time, she was part of the group.

If you count Diana Ross solo hits and her time with The Supremes, she does have 18 #1 hits that she recorded on, but that would apply only for the Pop chart (Hot 100).

Diana Ross as a solo artist also had the song, "Last Time I Saw Him" which only reached #14 on the Pop chart but peaked at #1 on the Adult Contemporary chart and also, "Missing You" which only reached #10 on the Pop chart but peaked at #1 on the R&B chart.

Diana Ross And The Supremes also had "Stoned Love" which only reached #7 on the Pop chart but peaked at #1 on the R&B chart.

This would make a total of 21 #1 hits in the U.S.

I think Laurie must have meant to word the question as "18 #1 hits on the U.S. Pop chart" which then would make your answer of Diana Ross as the answer.

Good call, Edna. :thumbsup:

All that makes it a tricky question because the record books do not count any time an artist has spent with a group as a hit for that artist.

It's counted as a hit for the group only.

That's also the criteria we use for the quiz here on SongFacts, too.