Rayzor

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What card would that be?

Here's what I found on Music Week's website from an article they published in 2005.

Taken from last paragraph of article:

...cassette singles are still falling and totalled a miserable 22 sales last week - their lowest tally since the format was introduced via The Tights' Howard Hughes single in 1978. It's a sobering thought that in this very week in 1995, they accounted for a not insubstantial 266,539 sales.

Music Week article

The first Cassette "Single" ( CASSINGLETM ) was The Go Go's "Vacation"/"Beatnik Beach"

on I.R.S. in 1982 ( I.R.S. trademarked the name. ). Not a lot of other singles were released until

March 13, 1987 and Bryan Adams single of: "Heat Of The Night" (on A&M) started the [wide

scale] introduction of the new Cassette Single ( "CS" ) from all the major Music Labels.

...yet

American record companies began releasing cassette singles on a large scale in 1987, when vinyl record album sales were declining in favor of cassette recordings; the cassette single was meant to replace the 45 record in a similar way.[1] The format was not new, though; Bow Wow Wow's "C30, C60, C90, Go!" was released on cassette in the U.K. in 1980,[2] and I.R.S. Records released the Go-Go's "Vacation" in the U.S. in 1982.[1]

The first cassette single in the United Kingdom was released in 1978, with the song "Howard Hughes" by The Tights. The ZTT label made good use of the format by 1984, with singles by Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Art of Noise and Propaganda being issued in unique versions on cassette.

I remember BowWowWow started in 1980 (yes, I'm old) so I'd say wikipedia is right.

I think the first cassingle was "Over The Rainbow" by Judy Garland (1939).

I think I remember my Mom telling me she would play it when she was a teenager.

I think she saved it and it's in the basement somewhere.

I hope the cardboard sleeve doesn't have mold on it, so I can sell it on ebay. :wacky:

• 2 weeks later...