Have you seen me? II

Shawna

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hope everything is better for you, Lucky. I can sympathize. My MIL had a stroke and was in the hospital for two weeks, including over Christmas. Hubby only had Christmas day and New Year's day off, so our family time was mostly going to the hospital. That and crazy weather made our break pretty sucky.

MIL is home now and we're getting her settled in, kid is back in school so hopefully things will get back on track. Best of luck to you, Blues and your father.

Thanks all. Jenny, I'm sorry to hear about your MIL, but glad she's on the mend. It seems like things always happen over the holidays (to me anyway) which gives everything that extra touch of stress that we need. ;)

I'm glad to be back. A break is one thing, but SF is a great de-stresser as well, and I do miss the webs.

At least Bakersfield has 20 red lights :). Up by us, it's all one lane roads, hills, and farms. To us, Bakersfield may seem like a wild and crazy place!

C'mon Jenny, you're blowing everybody's impression of New Jersey. Pay no attention to this young lady...nothing but smokestacks, highways, cars and the mob here.

You mean Teresa and her tacky mansion aren't right down the street? ;)

Actually Bakersfield isn't that bad. There isn't a lot in the way of night life, but lets be real - we do not do much living in the night anymore. :)

I'm looking forward to exploring the surrounding areas - very different for both of us, desert and mountains. The coast is still just 2 hours away, which isn't bad.

Lucky & Bluesy, you two don't realise how good you got it! There's no night life here either and night lasts 18 hours a day! We have no coastline or mountains or desert. Unless you count mountains of snow, a desert of snow & the flooding of the city every spring as being comparable to the ocean! :laughing:

You'll learn to love Bakersfield. The first 6 months is always toughest.

Apparently , from a podcast I heard ,Bakersfield smells like a sewer from all the agricultural waste around it , as well as from the combined pollution from the major cities blowing in and combining around it . Is that right, kids ?

Edited by Guest

Every place has its good and its bad points. I mean, here we have 6months of winter, but our 6 weeks of summer are lovely. In those rare years when we actually have an autumn, it can also be very nice. The close proximity of the mountains offers some great recreational opportunities.

My wife is from California, and according to her, there are far worse places than Bakersfield like Pomona, Barstow or Needles for example.

If money were no object, I'd live in Hawaii, Provence or Tuscany. Ah well, one can always dream.

Apparently , from a podcast I heard ,Bakersfield smells like a sewer from all the agricultural waste around it , as well as from the combined pollution from the major cities blowing in and combining around it . Is that right, kids ?

Actually no - it doesn't smell at all. That would not have made my list at all. It does however, have the worst air quality in the state of California. When you're talking California, and if we're the worst, well that's just scary.

Bakersfield is more or less in a bowl, with mountains all around. The pollution becomes trapped in the bowl, just sits there, and that's what we get to breathe. Traveling the Grapevine (the route from LA) when you are descending, it can be pretty gross, at times you can't see the city at all it's just a dirty low cloud.

And yeah, there's tons of agriculture here, but I don't know that they are the worst offenders - there are also oil fields, and I think they take the prize actually. And it's dirty - the dust blows all the time, and there's a film on everything. There is an huge homeless population, and there are some really bad parts of town - we stay on the west side, where we belong. ;)

But, armpit that it is, it's home now, and we'll make the best of it. I like living in a smaller city, and there are some benefits. All that agriculture means we have the probably the biggest and best selection of produce and flowers in the state at all times! There are mountainsides covered in flowers in the spring, and some nice countryside out where my dad's farm used to be. Not much nightlife, but there is a fairly large music community here and you can bet we'll make at least one trip to Buck Owen's Crystal Palace :). It's 2 hours or less to mountains, LA, or the coast (I think Pismo Beach is closest), so all in all it could be worse.

But then ... there is the whole San Diego/Bakersfield thing - a bit too much like the Heaven/Hell thing. ;)

No, but Thanks for the Welcome to Bakersfield, Kevin

:neener: th_big-butt_zps2a3ead3c.gif

Bakersfield is the armpit of California.

We're making Lemonade out of lemons.

If Bakersfield is the armpit of California, what has the dubious distinction of being the a**hole of the state?

In my rather limited experience both Corona and Riverside were hellholes. Hot , smoggy and barren. If the air quality in Bakersfield is worse than in it is in the San Fernando valley, it must be bad.

Bakersfield is more or less in a bowl, with mountains all around. The pollution becomes trapped in the bowl, just sits there, and that's what we get to breathe.

Replace "Bakersfield" with "Phoenix," and that's spot-on what it's like here. Air doesn't move for weeks on end and the pollution gets so bad my eyes water.