Kevin

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...I almost am already... :P

Don' t you think about the fish' s mum, staring at the clock and wondering why he' s not home? He should be home by now, it' s late... She calls someone on the phone...Mrs Fisher, is my son there with your son? No? I'll call another friend... :puppyeyes:

Here's the scenario. Your invited to a bbq by your spouses/SO parents old family friend. And she is a terrible cook and the meat is so over cooked and dried out you can't swallow it.

Most of the meal you manage to eat but the meat... I'm not a big meat eater anyway so when it is cooked badly it's even harder for me to deal with.

I thought of putting an extra napkin in my lap and sneaking it off my plate and then stashing it in my pocket maybe. She was sitting right next to me so that idea was out.

This is the second time in two months I've been faced with this.

Of course like any polite guest would do I told her the food was great etc. I would never be rude and leave it or tell her it was terrible.

What would you do in that situation? I'm sure we will be invited again and will accept the invitation and I know it will be BBQ steak again :( Help :puppyeyes:

There was only 4 of us :D She is a real sweetheart and she was diss'ed on her b-day so we bought her an ice cream cake and I picked all my best roses from my garden. She was so pleased :D

We usually invite her here and I must admit she did ask us to cook the steaks because she says she is a terrible cook :laughing: But DH and I were putting up a shed for her and couldn't do the cooking.

She had such a nice time she wants to do it again :crazy: / :content:

We would never say no and hurt her feeling or tell her she's right and she's not a very good cook. She just turned 79 and is so sweet.

She wants to cook steak for us again when we go to finish the shed :crazy:

I'm not a rude person but I know when I couldn't cut the meat with a steak knife I was never going to be able to swallow it.

I just kinda sat there in a panic. She left for a few minutes so I was able to hind most of the meat but next time I may not be so lucky :laughing:

When you get the telephone(?) invite , be sure to lie and go on about the diet you are now on - and sweetly ask if they could make something light ( maybe chicken or fish ) for you . Then , if you don't finish your meal , you can still chalk it up to the diet and all is forgiven . :)

... either that or fake a toothache of some degree near or on the day , and eat as much as you care to . I'm guessing that if these are friends of your parents , then they are about as old as my mom , and that generation likes to not only overcook sometimes , but also buy the cheapest cuts of meat they can get -Depression Mentality . ;)

Toothache your a genius :thumbsup:

If I said I was on a diet she'd think I was anorexic or something. I only weigh maybe 112 and thats if I'm lucky that day.

I'm sure DH and my MIL would have a lot to say about me being on a diet. I'd never get away with that. But a toothache is perfect :D

Oh crikey, I have no manners. If not given a choice about how much meat I want to take (i.e., if an entire steak is plopped on my plate without my accepting it) then I would cut off a bite or two, choke it down, the eat the other stuff and just say I wasn't very hungry. Then make sure to hurry your plate back to the kitchen first when it comes to be cleanup time. :grin:

If she knows she's a lousy cook already, she won't be offended, so long as no one says anything out loud. At 79, I doubt she's able to see how much you've eaten anyway! ;)

it's all about bedside manner...

I agree good manners are an absolute must but she was watching me like a hawk and kept asking me how I liked my steak :laughing:

that generation likes to not only overcook sometimes , but also buy the cheapest cuts of meat they can get -Depression Mentality .

OMG were you there and I didn't see you :D Thats exactly what I was thinking while I was poking at thing :laughing:

Well , my mom is 82 and I have about 24 aunts and uncles in the same area and around the same age . When I go home , I am 'treated' to this kind of cooking often . In their minds , they are very pleased to be offering you steak , but even if they are loaded , price makes a difference . :laughing:

Mind you , they have lived that long on the food they eat , so maybe there is something to it ?!?! ;)

What would you do in that situation?

I've been through this situation more than once. I say "cool..." to myself. I eat. I drink to make it pass. I suffer a bit. But people know their food is crap and I was told I was very polite to eat without saying "Oh, I'm a vegetarian", foor instance... or "I can' t eat that, I'm jewish" or "I am allergic to ........."

... I can imagine that you also had scalloped potatoes and a jelly salad ... :P :laughing:

I kind of like the scalloped potatoes ... but have you ever been stuck with a lime green jello "salad" that is layered with horsreadish? Jello & horseradish ..... eeeyyyuuuuuccckkk. :P

Hubby's sweet Aunt Catherine, who is 92 bakes us cookies just about every week....A whole container full of the same cookie everytime, that have absolutely no flavor to them at all....bless her heart though that she's still able to bake somewhat, and she enjoys doing it for us..... :P

... I can imagine that you also had scalloped potatoes and a jelly salad ... :P :laughing:

Nope. Baked beans and fruit salad and those were ok. And like Lucky I like scalloped potatoes and I also like jello salad, minus the horseradish of course. Who would do that :o

Edna your a tougher lady then me :D I'm not a big eater anyway and cardboard steak is beyond ne. I don't think she ate hers either :laughing:

I have decided to tell DH that when she asks me to do the steaks he needs to cut me loose from the shed building so I can help her ;)

Do you mean those rock hard tasteless cookies the sweet little old ladies pass out Laurie? We have that one mastered. Dip them in milk or coffee. There not so bad :D

I'm really not as rude and picky as I sounded but my jaws still hurt from chewing :laughing:

Edna your a tougher lady then me :D I'm not a big eater anyway

Actually sometimes I'm so polite in real life it scares me :cool: I'm not a big eater either... I have to eat more than I want when I attend dinners and bbq parties and such...

Me too! I'm rarely hungry. When we have a potluck or some sort of buffet, the type where people load their plates with god knows what all, my plate has all these empty spots, with little dollops of food here and there. People are always trying to get me to eat more, and I worry that it seems rude to turn them down, but it would be more rude to throw the food away. :P If I can't eat it, I just can't eat it.