Ask a Songfactor

Kevin

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The cost of satellite Internet is, however, very high. The basic equipment required for satellite Internet are: a dish (two feet by three feet), two modems (one each for uplink and downlink) and coaxial cables to connect the dish to the modems. The cost for all the basic equipment costs anywhere around $500 to $1200. Some satellite Internet laptops come with satellite compatible modems as well, however, these laptops definitely burn a hole in the buyer's pocket. To access Internet, domestic users have to pay approximately $60 per month, whereas commercial users have to pay a minimum $150 or more. If the rates are according to the speed and size of the uploads and the downloads, you might end up paying $5 per megabyte, which is very expensive. There are some satellite Internet providers who have cheaper facilities whereby the satellite TV only receives the signal and the Internet dish send the signal. Another form of cheap satellite Internet is to receive downstream signals from the satellite dish and send upstream signals using the telephone line.

from http://www.buzzle.com/articles/satellite-internet-on-laptop.html

also interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_internet

generally accessing the internet directly via satellite is just like watching satellite television (so you need a dish) - only that you also need to send data back to the satellite as well

this is SO STUPID. Why build a computer that has satellite capabilities and then cause the owner to have to purchase a satellite DISH, along with monthly fees, along with blah blah blah blah blah

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

what about those commercials where the guy has his laptop, plugs in a USB thingy, walks into a lake in the middle of a forest, and connects. Where's HIS dish? I'm very aggravated. I thought I was just reading this stuff wrong.

Oh ,somewhere Thoreau is weeping ,Shawna , and then likely applauding nature foiling your efforts forcing you to 'rough it ' and laughing his arse off ! Don't forget to check for ticks ,now . ;) :laughing:

I'm guessing Bear Grylls and you wouldn't hit it off too well, either,( though he likely has a dish) .

Edited by Guest

So I spent the last week camping across my country on my way to the National Bison Range where I'll be working this summer. It's beautiful, I'm in a little shack on a farm surrounded by mountains and about an hour from civilization. So here's my question, I don't know anything about the civilization - Missoula, Montana - that I'm an hour from. Are there any Songfactors familiar with Missoula who could recommend some sites to see or things to do?

Yeah . Missoula girls are easy -all you need to know . ;) Maybe try to wear a clean shirt or such if you can muster one up , or shower , but not mandatory ( you'll be J-Zee in their eyes )...pretend you are in W.Virginia, if that helps ...just agree with all the guys with an emphatic ' hell , yeah ' , as you tune out most of what they are saying and you are golden :cool:

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...

Same here (using Mac) , and with that internet virus/problem I've been hearing about set to go on Monday ,I just thought I'd let it be . No warning this time though-straight to the site .

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all you U.S. dwellers -- and those who don't dwell here, but have been here and are familiar with it:

If you were planning a trip to see the sights in the U.S., where would you want to go? Name every place that you can think of and the reason you would want to go there. I need ideas!!

Thanks! I should have qualified that question, though... I'm from San Diego (only been in AZ for the past 12 years) and I've spent much of my life at the SoCal beaches.

So... aside from anything Southern California has to offer... what else is there in this great country of ours that's a must-see for tourist or personal reasons?

(and aside from anything the state of AZ has to offer, as well... been all over it - twice.)

If you were planning a trip to see the sights in the U.S., where would you want to go? Name every place that you can think of and the reason you would want to go there. I need ideas!!

Here in California you should check out Yosemite, Sequoia National Park and best of all Big Sur on the coast below San Francisco.

Also, Western Montana from the Idaho state line east up through Glacier National Park.

The Olympic National Park in Western Washington is a huge rain forest that is worth exploring.

Happy Hunting

:cool:

Indiana, Illinois, and Missouri also have large Amish communities.

Drive through the Blue Ridge Mountain & Smoky Mountains - absolutely gorgeous. Also, going from one extreme to the other - the coast of Maine (a dream of mine) and Key West FL (no great beaches to speak of, Key West is a whole 'nuther thing)

Hey all you U.S. dwellers -- and those who don't dwell here, but have been here and are familiar with it:

Washington D.C. is pretty cool, lots of stuff to see and most of it is free.

I firmly believe that the Smoky Mountains in North Carolina is one of the most beautiful places in the country (and while you're there, visiting the Biltmore is pretty cool)

I mean, New York City obviously.

That's all I can think of for now.

Fabulous suggestions!!! Some of them I've already done, so at this point my list includes:

Amish Country (probably in PA, since that's where Jeff's from and so we'll be out that way anyway)

NYC

Key West, Florida

Washington, DC

Blue Ridge Mountains

Smoky Mountains

and of the National Parks:

Glacier

Big Sur

Olympic

Mt. Rainier

The list is (obviously) in the gathering stages, so once I get a plan that'll take me clear across the country and back, I'll start whittling things down.

Please, keep the ideas coming!

I'm also going to be consulting Songplaces.com for some ideas on where to go for music sites, and so I can wear my SF t-shirt and take my photo in front of/in all these places :grin:

1000 Islands/Alexandria Bay, NY.....If you love being surrounded by water...and a nice boat tour out around all the islands and then to the historic Bolt Castle....you would love it here...Been there a few times!.....If you're making a trip around the fall season when the leaves are at their peak....Maine would be a nice trip also....