Ask a Songfactor

Kevin

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a very important question: how would you define or explain "broken feeling"? We are discussing the translation of this term into other languages and though I know what it means, I'd like to know your definition for it in English.

Thank you fishies!!! :)

I am a native speaker and I've never heard of "broken feelings"......if I had to guess at a definition, I would say feelings that change abruptly...say you find out that your significant other is cheating on you. You may not stop loving them, but at that moment, your love for them is in pieces.

I have a very important question: how would you define or explain "broken feeling"?.. though I know what it means, I'd like to know your definition for it in English.

I'm a US English speaker.

I don't know this term at all, but can you give us an example of what you know it to mean?

in a creative writing sort of way, "broken feeling" to me suggests that one would feel broken, like having a nervous breakdown, just emotionally beat down so much you feel broken.

OR it could mean that the feeling is broken, like how Jenny suggested, in a romantic sense; you once had a feeling, but it's lost now, it's broken, like breaking a connection.

Those are my broken feelings on a broken feeling. :beatnik:

thank you so so much, fishies... :):) :bow: :bow: :bow:

We were discussing this term reffered to Leonard Cohen's line "Everybody has this broken feeling like their father or their dog just died" and I thought it might have a straight definition or a specifical meaning. :)

I guess it must be like just... a broken feeling... a sort of sad sensation... a pain, deep and dry.

I guess it's poetry.

Thank you once again... thumb_1293778569-077.jpg

I don't know about your phone, Viaene, but do NOT get a BlackBerry. I can't figure mine out, it's not user friendly AT ALL. I want an iPhone, I hear they do everything for you. But I can't afford one.

Oh, wait. You're smart enough for a BlackBerry. Nevermind.

:grin:

I am much too lazy to learn how to use aniPhone or a Blackberry now... besides, i don't need a superphone, just a cellphone to call my mom and tell her "Hey, I just saw those cookies you like in the supermarket, shall I get some for you or you already bought them?"... and get some messages or so... or maybe take some pictures and keep my songs as in an mp3... yet i alreayd have an mp3 which works fine.

I don't even want a phone with internet, I already work a lot with computers all day, I don't need internet when I'm in the bus or with friends...

I am much too lazy to learn how to use aniPhone or a Blackberry now... besides, i don't need a superphone, just a cellphone to call my mom and tell her "Hey, I just saw those cookies you like in the supermarket, shall I get some for you or you already bought them?"... and get some messages or so... or maybe take some pictures and keep my songs as in an mp3... yet i alreayd have an mp3 which works fine.

I don't even want a phone with internet, I already work a lot with computers all day, I don't need internet when I'm in the bus or with friends...

You sound like me Edna. I have internet but only use it if I'm stuck somewhere and bored out of my mind. And then only if I left my mp3 player with my music and books on it at home ;)

My phone is an LG Vision or some such. I got it for the keyboard and I txt more then talk. Mostly to my stray kids that seem to be scattered all over the globe. I don't have international calling so some use FB :D Their so much fun, I'd hate to lose connect with them.

Sister/friend is coming for a visit this week-end. We're so excited. She wants me to feed her and send food home with her :laughing:

what's wrong with symbian? The one I want to buy runs on symbian :(

Both Android and Symbian are open source right? is there a big difference?

Soz, I'm late with my response.

Both are open source yes, but Symbian has some... not flaws, but disadvantages:

1. There are barely any apps at all for Symbian.

2. No one runs Symbian but Nokia

3. Nokia is soon going to be phasing out Symbian and replacing it with the better Maemo. By Maemo being 'better' I mean in terms of functionality and stability, but not responsiveness. For that iOS and Android are definitely superior

It has a couple of advantages though - it can multitask and I've never had an app crash on me in Symbian. It also has the best battery life.

But if you want your phone to be a mini computer - and you want it to be responsive and functional, I'd suggest Android. Or even the Windows phone, that's supposed to be good from the early reviews I've read.

If you're more about supersharp aesthetics, and prefer it to be a toy - something to play games on, then iOS is the way to go. Android is no good for games, but I am perfectly happy with its friendly looks.

And if you're talking brands, something else Nokia and HTC have that destroys the iPhone utterly is that if you drop your iPhone you destroy it utterly. My HTC is shock-resistant and I've mistreated my Nokia more than it deserves and it still stubbornly goes on. Cellphones are in people's hands a lot and people are clumsy. I appreciate it when manufacturers remember that.

And if you're talking brands, something else Nokia and HTC have that destroys the iPhone utterly is that if you drop your iPhone you destroy it utterly. My HTC is shock-resistant and I've mistreated my Nokia more than it deserves and it still stubbornly goes on. Cellphones are in people's hands a lot and people are clumsy. I appreciate it when manufacturers remember that.

Yes. I once dropped my humble Nokia into a glass of milk -I mean, it slipped from my hand... :shades: - and though it stood there for almost a minute, it's still alive!! :laughing:

Soz, I'm late with my response.

Both are open source yes, but Symbian has some... not flaws, but disadvantages:

1. There are barely any apps at all for Symbian.

2. No one runs Symbian but Nokia

3. Nokia is soon going to be phasing out Symbian and replacing it with the better Maemo. By Maemo being 'better' I mean in terms of functionality and stability, but not responsiveness. For that iOS and Android are definitely superior

It has a couple of advantages though - it can multitask and I've never had an app crash on me in Symbian. It also has the best battery life.

But if you want your phone to be a mini computer - and you want it to be responsive and functional, I'd suggest Android. Or even the Windows phone, that's supposed to be good from the early reviews I've read.

If you're more about supersharp aesthetics, and prefer it to be a toy - something to play games on, then iOS is the way to go. Android is no good for games, but I am perfectly happy with its friendly looks.

Yes, but... does it make telephone calls?

Just to add some stuff I heard recently.

About the Android, I heard on the news the other day that there is some kind of virus that has attached to it that attaches really bad stuff to other apps. So far this seems to only be a problem in China but they expect it too spread until they can find the problem.

And, about the iPhone, my other kid was here the other day and bought herself an iPhone. Along with that she bought something called an Otter to go with it. It's some kind of case. I asked her about it and she said it's like a shock absorber that completely protects your phone. I guess you can get them for any phone. They run around $30.00 I think she said.

It also had a face protector and when I looked at her phone you could hardly tell it wasn't just part of the phone it's self. It was pretty darn cool. Oh btw, she works for AT&T so I trust her word on phones :D

cool.... ask her how I can get a cell phone to work down in Mexico. My cell phone service says they don't serve Mex at all, so I can't go through them. I think I need to get a pay-as-you-go phone or something to that effect, and don't have a clue where to start.