Ask a Songfactor

Kevin

He did and it's one of my favorite episodes :D

Can't you order books from your public library 10P? We can from anywhere. You get them for a few weeks and they just send them back. We have a population of under 3,000 and I can get most anything I want.

I think it's called interlibrary loaning? somethin' like that.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you. You're the second person that's told me that same thing. That's exactly what I want. I'm a reader, and a book person, have been all my life. I love curling up with a real book and reading for hours. I'm also a public library person, that's one of my favorite escapes. But the town I live in has just a tiny branch with little selection. You have to request books, then wait possibly weeks to get them. I want to be able to read what I want, when I want, and take it along to work, appointments, etc. Hench the Kindle. Not to change my reading experience, I'll still read books, but to give me more options.

Thanks Peach!

Oh fine, give cogent arguments :neener: But expect a big fat I told you so when robots start brushing our teeth for us.

Burgess Meredith was in four TZ episodes : The Obsolete Man (the one I linked), Time Enough at Last (the one TP mentioned and I totally predict that will happen to me), and two other non-literary related - Mr. Dingle, The Strong and Printer's Devil.

It's interesting we're having a book/e-reader conversation on the first day of Banned Books Week.

And Lea is right, many libraries, including mine, do inter library loaning. Some libraries may charge a nominal fee, like one here charges $2 per item. And my library system loans DVDs and Cds as well. So go to your public library and talk to some one who gets paid to know this stuff while libraries actually still exist.

Seriously. Kindles make me feel like I'm in that Twilight Zone episode where Burgess Meredith is on trial for having books - The Obsolete Man

Kindle makes me choose books that would never make it to Kindle. Thus, making new technology obsolete :beatnik:

I loved that Twilight Zone episode and people have joked that I have enough videos, music, and books to last me through a nuclear winter :cool:

Whoa. So many songs into such a compressed space. GASP! Are you... are you recording the mp3s in less than 320kbps?! Holy carp. I remember I had about 100gb of music and then I realised I was recording at less than 320, so I deleted everything and started all over again.

what kind of ear buds do you have that you really can notice the difference between 320 and 196kbps? can't be cheap ones ;)

I don't use earbuds :headphones:

ah okay, I just thought so from your first picture :)

So I had to install Linux for school.

Any of you guys using Ubuntu? I could use some tips and hints.

For instance, at the moment, my screen is very dark, it hardly emmits any light, my eyes start to hurt :(

are you using a laptop or a 'normal' PC? for the former you can normally set the brightness of the screen with some buttons directly :)