Ask a Songfactor

Kevin

any of you ever heard of anti-virus software called Nod32? And if you have heard of it, or used it, what was your experience with it?

Also, I read online where service.exe files, unless they are in the Windows 32 file, are worms, or viruses, or trojans, or malware of some evil sort or another. I have 5 instances of service.exe software on my computer and only one of them is Windows 32.

How the heck do I get rid of the others and make absolutely sure I'm not deleting something the computer needs to run efficiently - or at all?

Someone told me to open it in safe mode and then run Hijack, which I have, but no clue how to put it in safe mode, nor any clue how to run Hijack. :crazy:

Don'tcha just LOVE people like me? The poor kid on the help line today, "*yawn* yeah, I understand. No *yawn* problem. I deal with this sort of thing every day" ho hum.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Haven't heard of Nod32 before just reading on wikipedia about it, so I can't say anything

about the second issue you have to be careful:

service.exe is no Windows application at all! services.exe is.

and services.exe is the one that should ONLY be found in the \system32 folder of Windows. Where do you have the other 4?

Nod32 is a very good anti-virus system, I used it a few years ago.

But then I discovered AVG and that's even better.

The main disadvantage about Nod32 is that it keeps bugging you with updates. I want an anti-virus which quietly does it's work.

I've never heard of Nod32 either Shawna. I have been using Avast. Levis suggested it and I really like it. I was using AVG but it started making my sys. run really slow so I got rid of it. I have Avast on both our PC's now :D

To get your PC into safemode, just reboot and while its rebooting, tap F8 then just follow the instructions that pop up.

It's always been my experience that if I get a Trojan or adware etc. on my PC and if my virus program can't remove it for one reason or the other, I can just write down what and where the bad file is and go into safemode and remove it manually.

Not sure if that would work on a virus or a worm tho because those kinds of programs attach to other files so it gets more complected.

As for Hijack, my tech brother had me run that once and then just had me send him the file the program produced. Then he told me how to fix stuff. I probably still have his email and if I do I'll send it to you.

I always have a hard time understanding my brothers instructions tho, Farin's is much easier to follow ;)

Haven't heard of Nod32 before just reading on wikipedia about it, so I can't say anything

about the second issue you have to be careful:

service.exe is no Windows application at all! services.exe is.

and services.exe is the one that should ONLY be found in the \system32 folder of Windows. Where do you have the other 4?

I think I might be in trouble here. I'm running a a search of my C drive right now for "services.exe." Last night there were 5. Today there are pages upon pages of them!!

if I posted the list, or PTd it to someone, would anybody be able to tell me which ones are keepers and which ones need to go? I'm excrutiatingly paranoid about deleting stuff like this having no idea what it does. I once deleted the DOS system (years ago) because I thought it was just another file, so I'm supremely freaked out.

Also, if I posted the list of stuff on my "processes" window (the one that pops up with I hit "alt/ctrl/delete") is there anybody who can tell me which of those are bad things, like viruses or whatnot?

edit: I notice there's about 5 svchost.exe on the processes list.

and oh yeah - here's my experince with Nod32. A very very reputable laptop guy told me to DL that antivirus software because it's really good. So I DL'd it on my laptop. Right after doing that, all the colors on my screen went wonky - they sort of lined or pixelled out (I have no idea how to say that correctly). For example, I could only see little pieces of the buttons (the green START button was mostly gray, with a dab of green still left) and it was wreaking havoc with my software program for court reporting. Plus, when I ran the antivirus scan, it came up with a big fat ZERO. Which can't be true, I know there are viruses on that thing.

So late last night, after a day of crying and shaking and stress and ohmygodmylifeisover, I got smart and uninstalled the recommended Nod32 - and voila! Picture's back, colors are back, it's all back to normal.

you can send the lists to me, no guarantee that I know everything, but I can look over them...

Also you shouldn't spend too much time surfing without an anti virus program. if Nod32 made you trouble then download another one (there were already good examples in the last few posts)

also in your case a spyware/malware cleaner might be a good idea (eg Spybot - Search and Destroy)

cool, Martin, thank you :) I will send you the ever-increasing list (it's still searching), plus I will be looking into those antivirus programs. I do have Trend on my desktop, which I'm using now. I won't use the laptop until I get something on there...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna visit Sevilla, any hints to cope with +35° C (that's 95 F)? :crazy:

Wear a proper hat with a brim all round, and loose, pale clothes. But don't fret... 35 isn't really bad at all. Over 40 it starts to get uncomfortable. Once it hits 45, I think about taking my coat off ;-)

Edited by Guest