Ask a Songfactor

Kevin

Thanks Ron...I know what you mean about the independence part....We did bring up the jogger incident and of course he claims "well she just ran right out and crossed the road in front of me"...

We have done that also about giving rides at night...at least he knows he shouldn't be doing that...and when our daughter needs a ride to work, we have worked it out so we will be giving the rides for her...hopefully she can save enough money for a car someday....

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is some ammo, Laurie: http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLG_enUS315US315&q=elderly+driver+kills

Fortunately, we were able to convince my father in law with out too much effort that he should not drive anymore. His vision was the main reason. It helped that he had recently dented up his car a few times. The last time was when he hit my car backing out of the garage. He has not driven now for 3 years and it is still hard for him. He has gotten better about asking us to take him places he needs or wants to go. He has also started walking around the neighborhood. He has met people at some of the local stores and they have befriended him. I let him use one of my backpacks and he does some of his errands without our help. That helps make his feel more independant.

What is it about upstate NY that seems to make it the most haunted region in the US ? There has been a series on 'Discovery ' called 'Hauntings ' , and nearly 1/2 or more of the stories seem to take place there , but one will also find that in any number of other stories on US hauntings . Apperently the original Dutch settlers used to call it ' the Devil's Playground ' .

New Orleans is full of voodoo and magic, but I believe the New England states are (and upstate New York in there) is traditionally the most haunted. It was the earliest settled area (by large numbers anyway) so that makes some sense.

• 2 weeks later...

okay, here's my big fat can o' worms. And although I say that, this is truly a sincere question - I mean no insult by it to anyone. Period.

Tonight I was watching a show ("Dateline") where a Native American was on trial for killing his two kids. He "smirked" when the jury came back with a 2nd degree murder verdict. When asked by Dateline why he "smirked," his response was (paraphrasing), "Our people have had so many injustices brought upon them all throughout history, this is just one more."

That's here in the U.S. where it is factual that the Indians were driven from their own lands and put on reservations. It is also factual that Africans were brought over from Africa hundreds of years ago and made to be slaves.

As a result, comments like the aforementioned are widely strewn about when someone of a minority in the U.S. feels wronged.

My question is: does this same sort of situation exist the world over? Do you Aussies and Brits and everybody have folks over there who feel opressed because of the "sins of the fathers" type of stuff? Or is this inherent to the States?

Sorry if I appear ignorant... but I am trying to learn, after all. :crazy:

Good question. I don't believe it happened in Argentina, at least. The indians were mixed with the immigrants so there wasn' t such a feeling... not that I know, I was 17 when I left.

But in France you have young kids from Arab origin who were born there and there were big riots last year. They hate France and the French, yet they are victims of the unemployment and bad life conditions rather than French colonization.

You' re wise, Lea... ;) :laughing:

The Bible lied. There was no such thing like Eden and all that story about the snake and the apple is false. And Adam and Eve never existed. Nor Cain or Abel or their brother Seth (Seth? ) And we woman were not made of rib.