Ask a Songfactor

Kevin

I use Firefox, have been for a long time...

I converted when IE5 or IE6 came around, I don't remember which, but it was the one that could be described as one of the worst browsers ever, in usability and security...

admittedly IE7 got better (wow, tabs... finally ;) )

and I still have to use that, because eg yahoo doesn't let me log in with Firefox :P

FF 3 is coming out soon btw :)

anyway, I don't know Safari or Opera, but the latter isn't too bad from what I hear ;)

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Opera is very nice! I usually use Opera and Firefox at the same time, since some things work better with Firefox... but I do my main browsing with Opera.

Quick question... what does pcm mean? As in £10 pcm for example? Same as per month? The c confuses me.

Is that what a jumper is? I've often wondered is it a sweater, a light jacket, what? A very good question Shannon, my enquiring mind wants to know. ;)

What I call a jumper is a dress, that you wear over a blouse or sweater.

Edited by Guest
makes more sense.

Good question... I've no idea. Google does though:

The origin has nothing to do with the verb to jump, but comes from the dialect jump or jup, meaning a man’s short coat or a woman’s under-bodice or tunic. This may derive in turn from the French juppe, a petticoat (now in modern French, jupe, “skirtâ€), which ultimately derived from the Arabic jubba, a loose outer garment.

Is that what a jumper is? I've often wondered is it a sweater, a light jacket, what? A very good question Shannon, my enquiring mind wants to know. ;)

What I call a jumper is a dress, that you wear over a blouse or sweater.

Aha:

Q: “I’m curious about different meanings of the word jumper as an article of clothing. In the US, this refers to a type of dress with a pinafore-style top worn with a blouse or shirt; when my Australian daughter-in-law uses it, she means what I, an American English speaker, call a sweater or a sweatshirt.â€

A: The British usage also describes a sweater or pullover, that is, a knitted garment with long sleeves for the upper part of the body, though my impression is that pullover is rather old-fashioned, with sweater now much more common. Jumper seems to have appeared about the middle of the nineteenth century, originally for what the Oxford English Dictionary describes as “A kind of loose outer jacket or shirt reaching to the hipsâ€, in other words what I would call a fisherman’s smock.

I got all this from here , by the way.

Anyway, yes... a jumper here is simply a sweater.

Edited by Guest