Ask a Songfactor

Kevin

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was eighteen... never drove a lot until a bit later though. And now I'm out of practice again. :P

same here... poor student, don't have money for a car (truthfully not much need either ;) ) :P

and Shawna reminded me of the differences between the countries again...

here we allow drinking at 16, voting and driving at 18... ;)

Hiya everyone! I have a 2 part question: OK would somebody PLEASE tell me what the heck Aud Lang Syne really really means? "Should auld acquaintance be forgot and never brought to mind?" (Is it just me or does that seem kinda mean? I mean your oldest friends are your bestest friends right? I remember in 3rd grade doing the brownie oath: "Make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold".)

ALSO to all you guys and gals around the world and over seas: at the stroke of midnight on New Years Eve do you sing this song to the top of your lungs in your drunken stooper like most of us do here in the US? Inquiring minds wanna know...well maybe just me. :help:

ALSO to all you guys and gals around the world and over seas: at the stroke of midnight on New Years Eve do you sing this song to the top of your lungs in your drunken stooper like most of us do here in the US? Inquiring minds wanna know...well maybe just me. :help:

can't really help you with the first part, but for this... umm, no, we certainly don't sing it here ;) :grin:

can't really help you with the first part, but for this... umm, no, we certainly don't sing it here ;) :grin:

Same here... :cool: at least, my friends and family don´t.

Radhi, I first took a car when I was 20 or so. I learned with a boyfriend and I used to drive for some years but I never had a license.

But all my friends and boyfriends and husband and relatives had/have cars, taxis are very cheap in Madrid and I don´t like to drive in the city so I don´t.

Hiya everyone! I have a 2 part question: OK would somebody PLEASE tell me what the heck Aud Lang Syne really really means? "Should auld acquaintance be forgot and never brought to mind?" (Is it just me or does that seem kinda mean? I mean your oldest friends are your bestest friends right? I remember in 3rd grade doing the brownie oath: "Make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold".)

Jackie, here's the Wikipedia article on Auld Lang Syne. Auld Lang Syne My family traditionally does not sing it on New Year's Eve. I think that the song is basically saying that we should not forget our old friends, and cherish our friendships.

Word.

I got my driver's license at 16. The longest I ever went without driving was last year when I broke my leg. That was about 3 months. I love to drive and, because everything is so spread out here in Los Angeles, that is a good thing. I might feel different if our mass transit was not so FUBAR.

Jackie , the way it is phrased as a question leaves little doubt that it is not meant in a mean way , but in a way to summon good thoughts of the past among it's listeners . Contrary to the artical , I've always translated it as meaning for ' old times sake ' - which is not so different from what other versions are trying to convey .

In my experience , and this is perhaps more a Commonwealth experience ( and those hardcore Brits living in the US ) , the song is often sung at midnight in a party circumstance - or at least a musical version is played . Those old enough to remember Guy Lombardo and his Royal Canadians on New Year's Eve telecasts will certainly recall this . I have heard it at other ceremonies as well - funerals , graduations , someone moving far away,etc.

As others have said , I think the basic idea is that , as we move into the new , let us not forget what's happened before , and celebrate that it is a part of us and , somehow , has brought us to this moment of merriment .

I don't like the direct English translation as it seems to play up to the old stereotypical idea of Scots being cheapskates ( ' You'll buy yours, and I'll buy mine ' ) , though that could be a metaphor for we'll each lead our lives our own way . In a local celebration , all sins past are forgiven , and a generous feeling is often intended .

Ok this is probably a question for the older SF'ers and probably a stupid question as well but...

I have many, many vinyl record albums. I need advice on storage. I no longer have a record player but will not part with my albums. They haven't been played in years :(

Years ago I put the majority of them in special covers I got from a music store. not the whole album just the record it's self. They are kept in a plastic tote with a cover on it and it sits beside my bed. I have them sitting on their ends not laying flat.

I was looking at some of them the other day and noticed the outside of the covers were getting a little moldy but the records inside seem ok. They don't seem to be warping or anything like that.

Most of the albums are 30+ years old. What I need to know is am I storing them properly? I say no because of the mold thing. It's not major mold but...

Can someone advise me please?

DH makes it hard for me to do anything serious online when he is here and lately it's most of the time.

Oh, how original... :grin: Lea, DHs should be at work or sleeping or fishing when we want to do anything serious... :shades: Mine is sleeping now... :cool:

ah :) didn't know that one :)

but I'm not completely useless - I would've known "SO" :shades:

And what does "SO" stand for? :)