Ask a Songfactor

Kevin

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm sorry is that the wrong word? :blush: we call it Pfingsten, it's also Sunday and Monday, usually at the end of May or beginning of June

anyway... so, I guess you don't have many goverment holidays right? I don't know for sure, but if I had to guess I would say we about 10 to 20 such holidays per year - and most of them religious. And that's what I found interesting because from the media I get the impression that religion is much stronger in the USA (eg that people go to church every Sunday is very uncommon here)

Edited by Guest
thanks ji :)

No, not the wrong word, Pentecost is the name of a particular religion here, but we don't celebrate a holiday by that name. Our holidays are not religious ones (separation of church and state you know). We really don't have many official holidays, the business sector would frown on that big time! ;) I do believe the New York Stock Exchange is closed on Good Friday.

We celebrate Christmas, New Years Day, Martin Luther King Day, Presidents Day, Memorial Day, The Fourth of July, Labor Day, and Thanksgiving. Those are days that there is no postal delivery, and government offices are closed. That is how we designate an official holiday!

The whole separation of church and state is the factor here. There are other days which are holidays for many of certain religions, but they are not nationally recognized. ;)

I found a list, and where I live, we have 10 official holidays (it's different from state to state), that's only one more than you:

1 Jan New Years Day,

6 Apr Good Friday,

9 Apr Easter Monday,

1 May Labour Day,

17 May Ascension Day (more populary known as Father's Day),

28 May Pentecost Monday (?),

3 Oct Day of German Unity,

31 Oct Reformation Day and

25, 26 Dec Christmas

Edited by Guest
added the dates

Here are the Public Holidays we have this year:

1 Jan Idu'l Zuha/Bakrid (Feast of the Sacrifice).

20 Jan Muharram (Islamic New Year).

26 Jan* Republic Day.

16 Feb Mahashivratri.

31 Mar Mahavir Jayanthi.

1 Apr Milad-Un-Nabi (Birth of the Prophet).

6 Apr Good Friday.

9 Apr Easter Monday.

2 May Buddha Purnima.

15 Aug* Independence Day.

4 Sep Janmashtami.

2 Oct* Mahatma Ghandi's Birthday.

13 Oct Id ul Fitr (End of Ramadan).

21 Oct Dussehra (Vijaya Fashami).

9 Nov Deepavali or Diwali (Festival of Lights).

24 Nov Guru Nanak's Birthday.

25 Dec Christmas Day.

26 Dec Boxing Day.

HA!!!! :laughing: We have hundreds of days off in Spain... well, maybe not that much but anyways, peope come late to their jobs, then they go and have breakfast, then they have meetings, then they have lunch... :P It was hard to explain to some person calling from the Paris or Los Angeles that the boss is "having breakfast" at 11 am...

I love love love this country... :)