16 Best Power Trios of all-time:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B-F: Not familar with fudge tunnel, RP, or nerv Rack but you reference Steve ALbini or chicago 80's scene with all three bands. ANd even though I live in chicago and was there for some of the 80s scene, i'm no fan of Big Black, Shellac or any of that noise for noise sake kind of stuff...mclusky did an album with ALbini I think, but I dont find them overly indebted to him...To say that they are average when they are at their worst is not that uncommon of any great band.

Anyway, as always, thanks for the insightful and well informed opinion. You should stop by my blog and sound off a bit--I'd really get a kick out of reading some more of your opinions...and I plan on checking out the three other bands you think shoudl be included in the list...

Edited by Guest

Not a big fan os stevie ray vaughan--other than the cameo he played in the Ralph Machio film Crossroads--now that was some Rock baby...

Well, I guess you're not a fan at all then, because that wasn't SRV. It was Steve Vai. And Ralph Macchio's part was performed by Ry Cooder.

SRV had some real chops, though. Tommy Shannon and Chris Layton were the perfect compliment to his style...

I'm not sure that those three I proposed are well-known enough to genuinely justify inclusion in the Top 16. Nerve Rack, in particular, are obscure even to UK post-punk scenesters, (though they were played on the John Peel show a number of times). The other two were quite well-known in their particular fields, (or legendary in the case of Rudimentary Peni), without ever being known to the public at large. J. Mascis of Dinosaur Jr is another famous Peni fan, mind you, which I forgot to mention before. Probably find that Cobain had a soft spot for them, too, but that would be wild speculation.

Another trio that rocked like a bastard and seem to meet all your requisite criteria were Therapy?. Now Therapy? really should be on your list; in place of Yo La Tengo/The Police, perhaps?

The Police were undeniably a trio, but I can't see where the power bit comes in, personally.

I don't know much about Therapy?, but on a concert a few years ago, Farin Urlaub did a cover of one of their songs ("Going Nowhere" or something similar?) and it was a great song :rockon:, I always wantedto get an album of them, but I don't think I know even one (original) song :crazy: any ideas/suggestions? :)

The album to get would be "Troublegum", if you ask me. "Going Nowhere", "Screamager", "Trigger Inside", "Jesus Without The Suffering", etc. and an excellent interpretation of Joy Division's "Isolation". I'd go so far as to say there isn't a single duff track on the album. It would definitely be the best starting point, methinks. I'm confident you'll be impressed and left wanting more.

I'm surprised and disappointed to see the highly-influential Chicago scene of the late 80s casually dismissed as "noise for noise's sake". To me, that's way off the mark, particularly in the case of Shellac. I'm sure you must have some idea how particular Albini is about his art: the rhythmic structure of those songs is tighter than a gnat's chuff. A Rockist such as yourself must surely reserve some respect for Albini as a sound engineer: his meticulous attention to detail in the quest for the "raw and real" is legendary. He has a more-than-impressive list of production credits to his name, (including two out of McLusky's three albums). It's a gross disservice to dismiss his work so cheaply.

Anyways, down to business. Of course, it would be cool if you, (or anyone else, for that matter), investigated further the bands I mentioned. I certainly wouldn't regard any of them as "noise for noise's sake". However, they might all be considered quite challenging- nay confrontational- to the auditory senses, in their own ways. Rudimentary Peni are a band well worth investigating further, but for whom you would do well to reserve an open mind. If you were to start with the wrong album, you might be immediately alienated and tempted to curtail your interest, which just wouldn't do. For that reason, I recommend you begin by procuring (by any means necessary) their astounding and brilliant "Cacophany" album. This could, at a pinch, be described as a concept album, in that it's theme is the life and work of the writer of gothic fiction, H.P. Lovecraft, of whom vocalist/guitarist/lyricist/graphic artist Nick Blinko is an obsessive devotee. On all levels (musically/lyrically/conceptually, etc.) Cacophany is the trio's most creative, interesting, engaging and accessible work, (though it arguably lacks "commercial mainstream appeal": everything is relative, after all) and is widely-regarded by the cognoscenti as their "masterpiece". This may propel you into delving through their back catalogue for further delights, in which case it's advisable to go backwards rather than forwards. Their more recent mini-albums "The Underclass" and "Aftermath" are a bit formulaic, less-inspired and hence less inspiring: probably "for Peni-completists Only".

Edited by Guest
Tidy up errors (written very hurriedly)

maimiSammy--Wow, you are right. Cant beleive I totally overlooked them--I'll have to edit my blog. They'll probally go in at #13.

Also Dino Jr. new album has been leaked, anyone here get it yet?

last of all, thanks for the recommendations B-F. Also I disagree about Albini being a great 'engineer'. He may be meticulas about mic placement, but that doesnt mean that he captures a bands raw soudn any better than anyone else. In fact I would say that any success he has in that regard is owed more to the top end, analog gear he uses and because he records in big rooms.

Also, if you recall, Nirvana had some of In Utero remixed by Scott Litt because Albini screwed up so poorly. I also think he screwed up on his work with the Pixies.

To be honest I think the bulk of his reputation rests on the fact that he is always spouting off about how uncompromisingly anti-corporate music industry he is (even though he routinely appears on VH1 specials) and for what ever reason people have bought into that--which means that bands think they get cred-by-association in having him 'engineer' their album. Plus his rates are cheap and he doesnt take a royalty cut on album sales...

Well, fair enough if you don't particularly like Albini's production work, that's your perogative... I might still have expected you to respect his approach to the job. I didn't actually describe him as a "great" engineer, but was pointing out his attention to the finer detail, both as a producer and as a musician, in rebuttal of the suggestion that he was responsible for "noise for noise's sake".

As for Nirvana hiring somebody to remix parts of "In Utero" they weren't happy with: it's a band's entitlement, (arguably their responsibility, as artists) and common practice to remix and refine ther sound of their music to achieve the finished article towards which they aspire. Nirvana were more than just a band, they were a commercial concern: with all the considerations that go with that territory. Many reputable artists have sought Albini's services as a producer and presumably been more than satisfied with the results, otherwise they wouldn't have released them, or would have had further remedial work done, a la Nirvana. No reputable artist wants to see their work founder on the rocks of "a bad production job", so I don't think your theory holds water. Furthermore, it's simply not true that artists seek his services because of his anti-corporate stance and in order to achieve "cred-by-association". (Well, maybe Nirvana did: assuming they knew what they were getting for their investment, why be surprised at the uncompromising and uncommercial result?) Albini was sought-after by artists who were credible in their own right, long before he was anything like a household name due to his anti-biz stance, or his work with Nirvana. His reputation as musician and sound-engineer is founded upon integrity and unwillingness to compromise, which are presumably perceived as worthwhile attributes to the many great musical artists who have sought to collaborate with him.

I dont know Albini on a personal level so I cant say the I respect his anti-corporate posturing. The reason being I dont know his motives. is he anti-corporate because he thinks like me, that corporate structures breed evil behavior? Or does he do it because its the Hipster thing to do? Or does he do it just to be a contrarian, or any number of other reasons.

BTW B-F, you always have very well-thought out and informative responses. Do you happen to have a blog? I'd love ot read it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...