16 Best Power Trios of all-time:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two power trios I quite like are Budgie (from Wales) and Triumph (from Canada). Budgie churned out some great rockers long before better known hard rock groups like Black Sabbath came along. Like Budgie, Triumph never achieved a lot of commercial or critical success, but they cculd really rock.

I'm impressed at your inclusion of McLuskey (and so high up the list too!), who will undoubtedly remain an obscure reference to most folks. (Maybe that'swhy you included them?) Their fantastic "Lightsabre Cocksucking Blues" gets a frequent airing at Fitter Mansions (even within the kids' earshot :o :blush: ) But don't you find them a bit patchy? When they're good, they're very, very good, but when they're not...they're just average. To me, McLuskey gave the impression of being in thrall to Albini, Nick Cave(Birthday Party-era) and (maybe)The Pixies, rather than forging their own identity. Fair enough, there are far worse artists to be in thrall to...but I can't see how you justify placing them (an average Welsh post-core band) above the unique and legendary Husker Du, for example , (albeit their latter albums failed to live up to the standards set by Zen Arcade and New Day Rising)

There have been better UK power-trios in the post-punk/post-core vein.

For starters, I can only assume by their omission from your list, that you are unfamiliar with Rudimentary Peni, whose works of demented genius throughout the 80s make McLuskey look like rank amateurs in the "crazed-power-trio" stakes. Next to Peni, McLuskey are virtually Kajagoogoo. Rudimentary Peni sounded like nothing else before or since, and continue to be spoken of in hushed reverential tones in certain circles. Their early EPs are collected on disc (The EPs of RP) whilst their indispensible classic albums "Death Church" and "Cacophany" are also available on CD. Steve Albini was a big fan of Peni. Check them out, Paul: I think you'd like them.

Also worthy of mention, Fudge Tunnel (from Nottingham) were a mighty colossus of a beast. Mistakenly tagged as some UK response to the Seattle grunge scene, the Tunnel of Fudge were actually more influenced by the Chicago noise scene of the late 80s, melded to distinctive features of the UK grind-core sound.

Nerve Rack were another impressive post-core power-trio from the same era (late 80s/early 90s) influenced equally by elements of US alt-core of Big Black, Sonic Youth, as well as the UK post-punk of The Fall, Gang Of 4, PIL, Killing Joke, etc. Their albums "Gnaw" and "Experiments With Facial Hair" are difficult (but not impossible) to get hold of nowadays, but I suspect they might tickle your fancy.

"Creep Diets" - the one that had "Tipper Gore" on it. I worked in a record shop, and it came in as a promo (along with the Brujeria album with the actual severed head on the cover). Of course, the name caught my eye, so I checked it out. It seemed to piss off the annoying people (i.e., customers), so we played it a good bit. Then I stole it.