What sweetens your coffee today II

Henry David

A friend who is emigrating to New Zealand has offered me custody of his entire collection of vinyl; literally hundreds of albums of predominantly punk, post-punk, goth and alt-rock.

My sadness at probably never seeing Dominic, his lovely wife Julie and baby Jack ever again will at least be tinged by a degree of unfettered joy. Especially if they manage to return the step-ladders I lent them about 8 years ago before they leave for NZ.

A friend who is emigrating to New Zealand has offered me custody of his entire collection of vinyl; literally hundreds of albums of predominantly punk, post-punk, goth and alt-rock.

My sadness at probably never seeing Dominic, his lovely wife Julie and baby Jack ever again will at least be tinged by a degree of unfettered joy. Especially if they manage to return the step-ladders I lent them about 8 years ago before they leave for NZ.

Every cloud has a silver lining. Can you have 'a degree of unfettered joy'? Sounds a tad oxymoronic to me, like being 'almost unique'. No matter, I comiserate with you on your loss and congratulate you on your gain.

;)

I've got a ladder you can have.

I take your point but, alas, you seem to have missed mine. The turn of phrase was quite deliberately chosen. "My sadness...will be tinged with a degree of joy" would not have worked: gives no indication of how much joy. "My sadness...will be tinged by unfettered joy" would not have worked: can something be tinged by unfettered joy, given the extreme of this emotion? Hence I phrased myself so as to convey the perverse irony of the situation.

Regarding your further point: I disagree that "almost unique" is oxymoronic. Whilst it is undeniable that a thing is either unique or not, some things/people are undoubtedly far more commonplace than others. Hypothetically, if there were very few remaining examples of a particular item/phenomenon/type, then an individual example could rightly be described as almost unique. Can't see any problem with that, can you?