What sweetens your coffee today II

Henry David

I repect your opinion a great deal but it just seems a little weird to me that one must use a smiley on here when they are poking fun or making a joke. I think we are all old enough to know the difference between a joke or it being something else especially if a lot of joking is going on in a thread. Is everybody that sensitive on here? And to me,putting a smiley at the end of a joke is sort of like sit coms who use laugh tracks prompting the viewers to realize something supposedly funny was said. I just think people need to chill out a little bit and not get so defensive. Like I have said before,this is just a board. A very good board mind you. But still,just a board. But Shawna I will keep what you said in mind and try and remember the little smilies. And by the way,"they call me tater salad." :):)

no, no smileys are actually VERY important! you shouldn't see them as the sitcom-laughing (I agree that would be quite bad), but as a substitute for your tone and facial expression when you say something...

and I am old enough to know the difference of a joke and a serious statement - but I'm not a clairvoyant and sometimes it can be kinda hard to distinguish between a serious/hateful and funny/ironic post...

I once read somewhere that in all electronic communication (forums, emails, sms etc.) ca 40%(!) of all intended messages are misunderstood (and in our case the rest would probably be posts in "What song are you listening to" and "Word Association").

example:

"Farin is so cool :) :grin:"

"Farin is so cool :doh: :P "

you know what I mean?

:)

Ok Farin. I will make sure that every pun,joke, and witty statement I make has a little smiley afterwards.

Oooops....forgot it again.... :)

And by the way,I am sure some may use a smiley to make a statement seem to be funny when it was really meant to be something else. Not saying you of course. ;)

the first two sentences are an even better example than mine :thumbsup: :P

but why would I want to make a statement appear funny if I don't want it to be funny? :confused: :stars:

My friends from school and I used to write letters to each others almost every day, during some 10, 20 or even 35 years, as most of us live/lived in different countries. We´d make bits of comic strips to tell about our adventures, add little funny drawings here and there, make little maps, whatever...

Now I miss that touch in e-mails. I love smileys. They´re part of our language.

My 3-rd cousin and I were penpals from the time we were in 7th grade. She lives in Florida. Of the thousands of letters we wrote back and forth, I don't remember either of us ever using drawings or smilies.

Now with the advent of the Internet and these emoticons, I find that I draw smiley faces on my handwritten letters all the time! It's so grade school! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

My friends from school and I used to write letters to each others almost every day, during some 10, 20 or even 35 years, as most of us live/lived in different countries. We´d make bits of comic strips to tell about our adventures, add little funny drawings here and there, make little maps, whatever...

Now I miss that touch in e-mails. I love smileys. They´re part of our language.

Edna my friends and I did the same thing, little drawings on the margins and after paragraphs. I love to draw and haven't in so long due to the computer age, it's a passion I miss deeply. All my sketch pads are in a box with drawings and letters with drawings on them, someday I will open the box and revive my passion. Use smileys, it's close...but not the same as your imagination put to paper. :)

Last night on TV I saw the scenes in the movie "Happy Feet" that feature The Beach Boys "In My Room" and "Do It Again". It put me in the mood to hear some Beach Boys, so I brought the CD's in the car for the ride to work. But first, I had to stop at the physical therapist (hurt my back, long story) Anyway, I'm lying face down on the massage table and they were playing some music that I didn't know. I overheard one of the employees ask, "Who brought in the Spice Girls CD?"

Without lifting my head I told my physical therapist, "The Spice Girls are making my pain worse." Then, without prompting, somebody cut off the song and they popped in a Beach Boys CD. I enjoyed the remaining therapy immensely.

As I walked outside I saw the first flurry of the season fly...I didn't care....I got in my car and put on The Beach Boys...Summer is only 7 months away.

I have a barnacle. :grin:

There's a spot on my leg that someone told me I should have looked at, and having been baked to a crisp by the sun on more than one occasion in my day, I started to be concerned... my doctor says it's just a barnacle.

I said, "Thanks for making me feel like a whale."

She said, "I was thinking more of a boat."

Niiiiiice. :laughing: :laughing:

I have a barnacle. :grin:

There's a spot on my leg that someone told me I should have looked at, and having been baked to a crisp by the sun on more than one occasion in my day, I started to be concerned... my doctor says it's just a barnacle.

I said, "Thanks for making me feel like a whale."

She said, "I was thinking more of a boat."

Niiiiiice. :laughing: :laughing:

It could be worse, you could have Barnacle Bill the Sailor on your leg. If you don't know that song or don't know the lyrics...google or wiki it. Shocking!!