What sweetens your coffee today II

Henry David

Well , unlike many ( I'm a SFer , after all ) I know who he is and have noted him in his rare airing on a music channel or so over the years . He's nothing special, and hardly worthy of the accolades he has earned in Britain/Europe when one thinks of what you have produced in the past .

This will likely make you laugh , but Tom Jones is still a better singer than that lad could ever hope to be .

As you may know, I spend alot of time in charity shops looking for CD bargains. Apart from the uplifting experience of unearthing a real gem at a bargain price, you start to see the same albums over and over again, in all the charity shop racks and shelves in town. Whilst there are obviously various reasons why CDs should end up in these bargain bins, where there are particular albums recurring in this way, you know that there are three main reasons;

1) The record label anticipated a far greater demand for this album than there actually was and made far too many copies of it.

2) The record label made enough, but the target customers who bought it in their droves grew up and grew out of that boyband/girlband crap.

3) The people who bought it because the band were hyped to high heaven by the NME (or whatever) realised some way down the line, that, with the benefit of hindsight, it was actually pretty rubbish.

Whenever I see a Boo Radleys CD in a charity shop (which is often), it puts a little spring in my step, and brings a little cheer to my heart. I know it's petty of me, but there y'go.

Well, I was referring to the phenomenon of albums which repeatedly crop up in charity racks. There has to be a particular reason why those should recur, as opposed to those albums that are just there because "somebody had a clear-out", which will inevitably throw up an occasional goodie; sometimes people throw out stuffthat somebody else covets intensely.

The fact that nearly every charity shop in town has had The Boo Radleys "Wake Up" album at some time or another, suggests that alot of people decide it's disposable, whilst few bother buying it, even at £2 a go. Which is fine by me.

Well, I was referring to the phenomenon of albums which repeatedly crop up in charity racks. There has to be a particular reason why those should recur, as opposed to those albums that are just there because "somebody had a clear-out", which will inevitably throw up an occasional goodie; sometimes people throw out stuffthat somebody else covets intensely.

The fact that nearly every charity shop in town has had The Boo Radleys "Wake Up" album at some time or another, suggests that alot of people decide it's disposable, whilst few bother buying it, even at £2 a go. Which is fine by me.

I haven't yet got that 'un and don't plan to either. I DO have Giant Steps and am yet to listen to it - I think one part of me keeps putting it off because it thinks of it as adultery :o

Among myriad other things, particularly sweetening my steps are the CDs I received in today's mail, courtesy of a wonderful person... Amanda Palmer, and the Dresden Dolls. Truly remarkable music. Not typically something I would have purchased, probably, but her voice is one of the more expressive I've ever heard, and I'm happy I've been turned on to it!

• 3 weeks later...