What sweetens your coffee today II

Henry David

• 2 weeks later...

This is kind of a compilation post of what has happened to me recently, so bear with the blocks of text. They're all good things. :D

This year was the first year since my brother's junior year of high school than anyone from my school has made the PMEA All-State music festivals: I made a trombone I part in the concert band. So, my band director just recently found out that NAfME holds an All-National music festival. He figured I should audition, since the only requirement was to be a member of your state's All-State ensemble. I gave it a shot back in April not expecting much--what could an audition hurt? I made my recording and filled out the form and was told the results would be sent out in mid-July.

So I get an e-mail this past Wednesday from NAfME. I'm on the way home from work and I open it on my phone (I'M NOT DRIVING). I read the first paragraph and it sounds like a typical rejection letter:

Thank you for your support of the 2013 NAfME All-National Honor Ensembles. We received a record number of applicants this year and were faced with very difficult decisions regarding selection.

Then I scroll down:

Congratulations! You have been selected as a member of the 2013 NAfME All-National Honor Ensembles. You will receive a packet via e-mail next week – please make sure your e-mail is up to date in Acceptd.

And I'm f**king floored. I was not expecting this. So guess who's going to Nashville in October?

Another kid from a local school also got in, but he'll probably be playing horn in the orchestra.

Also, this weekend I visited some schools in DC: American University, Catholic University of America, and George Washington University. I like all 3, but am leaning towards American because of its urban, but not too urban location and their Business and Entertainment program. It'll probably come down to which school gives me the most money though. :/

But this past week was very cool. One last week of work before Lollapalooza (:D) and then band camp. (:/)

I mainly looked at colleges in DC, because I'm pretty sure that is where I want to go, plus it's great for what I want to do (Business/Entertainment). My mom said no to NYC, so DC was the next best thing

There also is another reason for not looking at Notre Dame, but we can leave sports rivalries out of this... :P

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got my senior year class schedule and something is weird about it...

Oh wait. I have a place for everything I requested at the end of last year.

1. Homeroom

2. Online AP French (Assuming here. Nothing listed as of yet)

3. AP English Lit

4. AP Music Theory

5. AP Calculus AB

6. AP US Government

7. Band

8. Gym

9. AP Physics C: Mechanics

So that's 6 AP Classes. Probably mostly scared for the Calculus-based Physics, but I should do fine.

Not looking forward to Gym at all.

Finally got my senior year class schedule and something is weird about it...

Oh wait. I have a place for everything I requested at the end of last year.

1. Homeroom

2. Online AP French (Assuming here. Nothing listed as of yet)

3. AP English Lit

4. AP Music Theory

5. AP Calculus AB

6. AP US Government

7. Band

8. Gym

9. AP Physics C: Mechanics

So that's 6 AP Classes. Probably mostly scared for the Calculus-based Physics, but I should do fine.

Not looking forward to Gym at all.

That's quite a schedule...don't expect to see you here much after you get started.

Embrace gym and have fun...Remember it's all about Mind AND Body...if you go there dreading it, you will get your wish and hate it.

Good luck.

That's quite a schedule...don't expect to see you here much after you get started.

Embrace gym and have fun...Remember it's all about Mind AND Body...if you go there dreading it, you will get your wish and hate it.

Good luck.

I'm sure I'll find time to make the occasional post here or there.

The main reason I'm not looking forward to gym is not the activities that we do in gym, but the whole inconvenience of it as a class. It was bad enough in middle school and we didn't even have it all year. It's just going to be odd going from band to gym, changing, doing activities, changing back, and then going to Physics. I was hoping I'd have it either first or last period, but, no dice.

• 4 weeks later...

I will have the football trifecta this weekend. On Friday I went to my local high school game where they played their first game on a brand new turf field. Yesterday I went to watch Rutgers where I have season tix. Today I am going to see the Giants game with Eli vs. Peyton.

HIgh School, College and Pro in three days. I should go watch the local Pop Warner team play this morning than I will have hit all levels.

working from home certainly does have its perks, and its drawbacks, as well.

Not spending money on gas ~ Perk!

Because you never go anywhere ~ drawback

Not having to deal with idiots in person ~ Perk!

Never having any interaction with another live human being in person ~ drawback

Being able to work from wherever you are ~ Perk!

Dragging work with you on vacation because you are buried, and you can work from wherever you are ~ drawback

I guess it's all a matter of perspective. :grin:

To me, being an introvert, those would all be perks, except working on vacation. I like my fishing time to be about being at one with nature. (rejuvenates the soul)

It's a few hours now since I posted that reply ^^^ and here I find myself ecstatic that I've found my creative voice again! I'm pumping out poems/songs like they're going outta style! :grin: :happybanana:

Edited by Guest
I found something to be happy about!

I'll be working the same job I have now, with defined hours. My employer is allowing me to telecommute. And yeah, I'm aware of the negatives. My biggest concern is that it doesn't become like prison to me. I'll have to cultivate some new out of the house activities. Tougher being in a new city. Plus - it's Bakersfield. Not a city known for it's, well, anything. Other than heat. And lack of rain. And dirt. And gangs. And drugs, the bad ones. There are good points, they just aren't the ones that initially come to mind. ;)

The whole purpose of moving is to be close to my dad - my step mom passed away earlier this year, and he's severely visually impaired, almost blind We'll be moving in with him and hopefully making his life simpler, although it will take some adjustments for all of us. It makes things so much easier, knowing I don't have to look for a new job, as well and start over somewhere else. At my age? That would just suck.