What sweetens your coffee today II

Henry David

Normally during my 2K walk to work through downtown, people walking toward me are looking down or at nothing in particular, with a certain dry mood to the face. This morning, at one point a young lady approached with a huge open smile and a bright springy gait, like she had just gotten the best news she could get this morning. Her joy was contagious and I smiled back and said "Congratulations!" as we passed. She laughed and wished me a good day.

That little act was so refreshing and it made my journey to work so enjoyable! I felt like I had seen a glorious human flower growing from a crack in the concrete sidewalk.

I like that :) I like to think I do the same - or try to, anyway. I give the man playing the accordion outside the station early each morning a grin and a greeting whenever I pass him. No money, just a 'good morning' - I hope he understands what a big deal this is, mornings make me grumpypants.

I like that :) I like to think I do the same - or try to, anyway. I give the man playing the accordion outside the station early each morning a grin and a greeting whenever I pass him. No money, just a 'good morning' - I hope he understands what a big deal this is, mornings make me grumpypants.

After she passed, I actually did think of you for an instant, Radhi. I have no doubt that you and that young lady share a bond of spreading happiness. Congratulations!

I can do it in Melbs, I can't do it with such ease in Delhi, it's why I like here more :)

Speaking of Melbourne-Delhi connections, I'm flying home for a month on Sunday (and am petrified because I am the worst traveller ever). However, what sweetens my coffee is knowing there is someone - many someone, even - here who will miss me and are waiting for me to get back - I made some beautiful friends :)