What sweetens your coffee today II

Henry David

ha! I remember years ago when I worked a regular office job, I used to go through a particular McDonald's every morning and get my Super Size Dr Pepper. One morning I was late due to an appointment. I drove to the speaker at the drive thru, the guys says, "Can I take your order?" I say, "Super Size Dr Pepper, please."

"You're late," comes the response.

:grin:

you'd imagine 'priceless' and 'worthless' would imply the same thing... funny the ways of the English language.

In the U.S. if you're trying to get your business insured against fire and you tell them you work with "priceless" art, they run for the hills. If you tell them the stuff you work with is "worthless," they'll consider insuring you. True story.

you'd imagine 'priceless' and 'worthless' would imply the same thing... funny the ways of the English language.

I don't know about that. Priceless implies it has no price. Worthless implies it has no worth. Price and worth aren't inherently the same things, in that they can be used independent of each other.

For example, you might ask "how much is this worth?" when inquiring about price, but asking "what is the price for this?" doesn't say anything about whether it has worth. Price is a physical thing, we can see it written down and understand what it is. Worth is an abstract, like love or peace. Abstracts by definition don't have one meaning.

That's why "priceless" and "worthless" don't mean the same thing. At least in my not-so-humble opinion.

I don't know about that. Priceless implies it has no price. Worthless implies it has no worth. Price and worth aren't inherently the same things, in that they can be used independent of each other.

For example, you might ask "how much is this worth?" when inquiring about price, but asking "what is the price for this?" doesn't say anything about whether it has worth. Price is a physical thing, we can see it written down and understand what it is. Worth is an abstract, like love or peace. Abstracts by definition don't have one meaning.

That's why "priceless" and "worthless" don't mean the same thing. At least in my not-so-humble opinion.

You' re right, pinkstones. It' s the same in French, in Spanish and in Russian. In fact, I think "priceless" is the opposite of "worthless". A painting by Picasso is "priceless". Mines are "worthless" :laughing:

It's fun to play around with language like this for those of us who are familiar with it. People who speak other languages however, get very confused with this stuff. My students do it all the time.

language is fun, indeed... .cool:

I translate my thoughts in my brain constantly. I speak to myself in four different languages and I'm still not insane :laughing:

But all my relatives do the same and it seems to keep us healthy... :cool:

You' re right, pinkstones. It' s the same in French, in Spanish and in Russian. In fact, I think "priceless" is the opposite of "worthless". A painting by Picasso is "priceless". Mines are "worthless" :laughing:

what's "priceless" in French? I know "worthless" is 'sans valeur', right?

:grin: She quit. And now they are treading lightly around me, because they can't afford to lose me. I own this place.

I'd quit too if I returned from an absence and found that I had been replaced by someone younger, better looking, with better hair, more capable, and faster .... not to mention a person with exceedingly better taste in music. How could she compete? ;)