What grinds your gears then?

Henry David

oooo Jenny. I so feel for you, you've no idea, sister. If you were here, we'd go out and drink each other under a table. :puppyeyes:

My car is nearing 100k miles. It's first problem - the brakes were grinding. The ABS and T/C lights came on. Took it in, they fixed it, replaced the (encased?) wheel bearings to the tune of $350.

Not so fast. I got to the first stoplight at the end of the block after driving my car off their lot, and the exact same thing happened, this time no lights. Thought I was insane, as it didn't happen again for a week. Sure enough, luckily Jeff was in the car with me when it happened 3 times in a row, so he felt it, he heard it. We took it in. They hooked up their computer and it told them to replace the other side. Another $350.

Drove it off again. Now it's doing something similar, but not as bad nor as noticeable. It took a week this time, but the ABS and T/C lights finally kicked on again yesterday. We took it in and are waiting to hear what could be this fresh hell.

Jeff says I've been doing well with a car pushing 100k, no major repairs so far, outside of this. Which he-who-knows-about-cars doesn't call "major." But with $700 out the window so far and more promised, I call it bad juju AND major. :puppyeyes: Plus, I've been without a car now for a week totaled up, and who knows how long this time? I'm a mover and a shaker, man, I got stuff to do!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope you get your car back, Shawna. I also like to go out at least once a day, even if it's just to run an errand.

My car finally got fixed, so I've been catching up on my errand-running the past couple days. We have company coming for the weekend, so no rest for the weary!

• 5 months later...

Idiot cops!!! Like the ones in Miami who beat up a 5' 3" man with Downs Syndrome because they thought he was carrying a gun in his waistband which turned out to be a colostomy bag. I thought my opinion of law enforcement couldn't get any lower, but I was wrong. The morons who perpetrated this idiocy should be fired, stripped of their pensions (except for their own contributions) and thrown in jail for 5 years. So many cops (ours in Canada are no better)

feel that they are above the law. We need completely independent bodies to investigate and pro secute cases of police brutality. My son's best friend has a brother who has Down Syndrome and he is a sweet kid who would not hurt a fly. Anyone with even a modicum of intelligence, can tell at first glance, that he is mentally challenged. Those cops in Miami should also be horsewhipped.

Herein ends the rant.

I'm with you on this one CanAm. I was tossed onto the hood of a cop car while walking to the bus stop after school as a teenager. One cop kept me pinned to the car with his nightstick around my throat & the other yelled at me for not answering his questions. I could hardly breathe, never mind speak. After a search they found my wallet (why they didn't do this first I haven't a clue, other than my opinion that most cops are stupid. More muscle than brains) & they finally let me go. When I asked what the hell was going on, they said they mistook me for a theif from the area. Seriously? That much force for a shop-lifter? A little excessive. As I was only 16 or 17, my mom had to go with me to file brutality report. Got in front of a judge, too. In 15 seconds it was over. Apparently it was protocol. I don't like the system. Too much freedom to do as they please without having to be responsible for their actions.

My brother was hit on the head with a Mag light when he was a teenager. Busted open his head then hauled him off to jail without seeking medical attention. When my folks got to the jail to get him out and saw that, my mom was so mad she was spitting nails. They filed a complaint against the cop and got him kicked off the department. My brother had needed several stitches. That is what embedded in my life-long hatred of cops.

Then my nephew became a cop, and in him and in his cop friends, I see the integrity, intelligence, compassion, and good will that I never thought could exist on a police force. They've restored my faith.

I recognize that there are capable, honest and responsible police officers, but it seems as if you read or hear about egregious examples of police incompetence, brutality or stupidity almost every day. The thing that bothers me most, is the system's failure to act appropriately and mete out punishment that is warranted by the seriousness of many police misdeeds. Is it any wonder that many cops believe they are above the law?

In Canada over the last three years, there have been several high profile cases where the courts have failed to punish police officers for acts that would land any ordinary citizens in jail.

• 4 months later...

That's why it's The Great White North I guess....

Too true, Ron. That's why I plan to retire on Vancouver Island. It's the only place in the country that gets very little snow. As for you Ray, let's talk in three months when we're in the midst of a Chinook and you're coping with -30 degree temperatures. :D

• 2 months later...

I'm severely pizzed off! :beady:

Brought select poems for my book to a publisher to give them a taste. The 2nd one in about 3 months. They said the same thing the first publication company said: "You have good ideas and you have some talent. The images are presented nicely... blah, blah, blah"

And then that wonderful knife to the heart: "You simply don't carry many of your stories to the end in a straight line (DUH!! THAT"S THE WHOLE POINT!!), your writing is unrefined (fair enough. English is my second language) and often you only partially describe certain aspects of characters or places (AGAIN: DUH!!)... sorry we just can't/ won't blah, blah, blah..."

Is it just me or are these people retarded? I'm not going to sacrifice a readers imagination because I'm not a newspaper reporter.

I really wish editors didn't cost so much or I would stick to my original plan & self-publish this damned book. :doh: :badcomp:

• 1 month later...

Well, not sure if it helps, but have a publisher look at it. Or self-publish the novel. I'm beginning to work on a series of short stories to see if that helps get my foot in the door. If all goes well then I'll "re-shop" the poetry & I'll be doing it as a published writer so it'll be more likely to be picked up.

Depends on what you want from your story. Sell it as is, make it longer, create a series, add more stories to create a massive multi-story epic? Or perhaps you don't like the whole publishing thing & would rather share freely.

Alot of possibilities depending on your ultimate goal. If it's the goal you're having trouble with, then just hold onto it until you know what you want.

-end babble- :grin:

Edited by Guest

• 1 year later...

Snow. I hate it. New Jersey has had a great winter for me. Today is 01/21/16 and there has been no snow. Nothing all fall, nothing so far this winter.

Now, snowmegeddan is predicted for Friday night into Saturday and Sunday. They can't tell us if there will be 6 inches or 6 feet right now. I'm hoping for a miss, but I think we'll get something.

Stay warm, think warm., be warm.